Watch Out World! I am a RUNNER! NSV

Options
Jenn152
Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
Yes! :O) Last night, I ran/walked my very first 5k with Treaddy (what I lovingly call my treadmill:smooched:)!!! I have always said, "I'm not a runner, I hate running :grumble: ... I sprint because I have to for sports" Well self, guess what? YOU RUN! (and you don't hate it!) Look out world, here I come a'runnin! :bigsmile:

I was walking on my treadmill at differing speeds and something clicked in my head to just up the speed and see what happened... worst thing, I would hate it and go back to normal speed or maybe fall off :laugh: But, I did it! And it wasn't so bad. I just did minute intervals running for 1 then walking 2-3 for a while and I was going to stop when i got to 45 minutes, but I looked at the distance and I wasn't too far from 3.1 miles... so I said to myself... GO FOR IT! So I ran the last few minutes to get past the infamous 3.1 miles (5k)!!!

It's the little things in life and I was so thrilled with myself, sitting there sweaty, in my little apartment, wiped out, and ready to lay down and just pass out after a long day. But all I kept thinking was, running felt good... I am proud to say, I AM A RUNNER! It's in my blood. I just never allowed it to shine!

Me and Treaddy! :heart:
2dsdzyx.jpg

Replies

• sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Keep it up, I love to run but it wasn't always that way. I used to run cause I HAD TO because of the Marine Corps but now I run cause I like it (well my knnes aren't too happy) and it helps that I don't really have to keep a certain pace or reach a certain deadline if I don't want to ;)
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Great job! Dedication like that is irreplaceable!
  • k2thaj
    Options
    Job well done! I have the goal to eventually start jogging instead of walking, but I am not going to push myself especially since I recently quit smoking haha. I find this very inspiring and now I want to work towards being able to take jogs!
  • Jenn152
    Options
    Job well done! I have the goal to eventually start jogging instead of walking, but I am not going to push myself especially since I recently quit smoking haha. I find this very inspiring and now I want to work towards being able to take jogs!

Just try it :happy: See what happens! It's not like I was running really fast when I was running... but the beauty of it? I WAS RUNNING, not walking! I only did it for a minute at a time, but for that minute... I WAS RUNNING not walking :bigsmile:

If it isn't time for you yet, you will know, but no sense in holding on to the fear of not doing it because of what you THINK will hold you back... just try it :flowerforyou: GOOD LUCK!
  • song2sing
    Options
    Awesome achievement!

You should be proud of yourself!

Shine On!!
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You should be really proud!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job!

Sounds like you would enjoy the Couch to 5K program!

Keep up the great work!
  • SmileyAmy1977
    SmileyAmy1977 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Couch to 5k as well.

I completed the program, but decided that running wasn't my thing. However, I started the program at 267lbs, never running and barely exercising, in my life and I was able to do it! It really works.
  • Jenn152
    Options
    Awesome Job!

Keep up the great work!

I have the C25K program printed out and on my desk, waiting to be started. I just needed to do it on my own first :bigsmile: Something in me has to grab on before I will do it someone elses way, ya know? I'm stubborn like that hahah :tongue:
  • SLKMERC
    SLKMERC Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Well done you!!

I started the same as you 1min run (well trot) 2-3min walks in January and got up to trotting the whole 5km. Then it it got to summer and I stopped going to the gym and tried to run outside, which I didn't get on with so stopped. Heat, flies, an audience and hills, what can I say! I stopped jogging completely.

But recently I found a nice flat what I thought was a 5km route whilst out on my bike and thought I'm gonna jog this on my way home from work. So last monday 5th sept I did, and without knowing it I did 7.29km! I was amazed! It just goes to show its all in your head, as I'd told myself the route was 5km and I can do it and ended up jogging further than I ever thought possible for me! Friday I went back and did 5km and really struggled, my legs were still tied from monday and I had been doing the Shred DVD inbetween and I knew the distance, but still did it! I don't enjoy the run, neither did my hip but I do enjoy the sense of acheivement at the end!

I'm going to keep it up and so can you! I'm back on the same track tomorrow so I'll see how far I get!! Keep up the good work!
  • Jenn152
    Options
    Well done you!!

I started the same as you 1min run (well trot) 2-3min walks in January and got up to trotting the whole 5km. Then it it got to summer and I stopped going to the gym and tried to run outside, which I didn't get on with so stopped. Heat, flies, an audience and hills, what can I say! I stopped jogging completely.

But recently I found a nice flat what I thought was a 5km route whilst out on my bike and thought I'm gonna jog this on my way home from work. So last monday 5th sept I did, and without knowing it I did 7.29km! I was amazed! It just goes to show its all in your head, as I'd told myself the route was 5km and I can do it and ended up jogging further than I ever thought possible for me! Friday I went back and did 5km and really struggled, my legs were still tied from monday and I had been doing the Shred DVD inbetween and I knew the distance, but still did it! I don't enjoy the run, neither did my hip but I do enjoy the sense of acheivement at the end!

I'm going to keep it up and so can you! I'm back on the same track tomorrow so I'll see how far I get!! Keep up the good work!

That is awesome that you did 7.29km! It really is all in your head! Keep up the good work & just tell yourself you like it :bigsmile:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Well done! It was hard for me to say "I'm a runner" because I hated running for SOOOO LONG! But when I realized I could run and I was running, my vocab began to change. Great job on the NSV!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You are awesome!!

I love that you call it Treaddy, I say Im going to the 'Mill.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job!

Keep up the great work!

I have the C25K program printed out and on my desk, waiting to be started. I just needed to do it on my own first :bigsmile: Something in me has to grab on before I will do it someone elses way, ya know? I'm stubborn like that hahah :tongue:
    Congrats to you! 5K is an awesome NSV for someone who considers themselves a non-runner.

Give C25K a shot. You may love it. If you don't, however, consider continuing to run and walk in intervals. I decided somewhere around week 3 of C25K that I wasn't happy sticking to "the plan". I spoke with some dedicated interval runners, checked out Jeff Galloway, and have been running and walking in intervals ever since. I realized that I'm not really interested in being able to run the entire distance. I can go faster with intervals and it's better for me, too, in more than one way.

I'm currently in training for a 10K next month and I'll be doing the whole thing running for 3 minutes and walking for 1 minute.
  • Jenn152
    Options
    [/quote]
    Congrats to you! 5K is an awesome NSV for someone who considers themselves a non-runner.

Give C25K a shot. You may love it. If you don't, however, consider continuing to run and walk in intervals. I decided somewhere around week 3 of C25K that I wasn't happy sticking to "the plan". I spoke with some dedicated interval runners, checked out Jeff Galloway, and have been running and walking in intervals ever since. I realized that I'm not really interested in being able to run the entire distance. I can go faster with intervals and it's better for me, too, in more than one way.

I'm currently in training for a 10K next month and I'll be doing the whole thing running for 3 minutes and walking for 1 minute.
    [/quote]

thats good advice. i will give the C25K thing a go, but i am very much like you that if i dont like it, i will continue to do intervals. Thanks for the advice! And that's awesome you are going to do a 10K in intervals!! i love it :bigsmile:
  • Jenn152
    Options
    Great job!! You are awesome!!

I love that you call it Treaddy, I say Im going to the 'Mill.

I like the 'Mill too! I like to think of my treadmill as my partner... my loving and supportive partner in weightloss, so he needed a name :love: Treaddy just fit, and off we went on my weightloss journey together~ I :heart: Him!
  • rd1975
    Options
    Great job!!! Hi everybody, I'm fairly new to this site.... I started my journey almost 1 1/2 month ago (but I just joined MFP a week ago)... 1st walking on the treadmill for a mile, but I've been increasing my distance little by little, I suffer from bad knees... running is one of the most natural ways to exercise... so far I have lost 10lbs on this time just on the treadmill.
    I did 3.5 miles (5.6K) this morning.. I was never a runner before, I know the feeling of conquering something new and proof yourself that everything is possible!! Keep it on!:flowerforyou:
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just finished C25K and my first official 5K and consider myself their new official postergirl. lol. Personally, I think you would love the program if you like the intervals. Congrats on your NSV!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!