Options

Replies

• Michelle9939
    Options
    lol I believe it!!
  • mbreichow
    mbreichow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it is better to use functional training, as you use your muscles in groups and build real strength for every day use. The machines tend to isolate specific muscles only. I guess that would be an advantage if you are a body builder or want that defined cut look to your muscles.

As for becoming "dependent" on the trainers - you could just as easily pick up some bands, balls and mats and do the training at home - skipping the gym AND the trainer altogether.
  • lauren0804
    Options
    I have to say I hear about these all the time. I have had my share of personal trainers. So good and some bad. I recently had an experience with one, that urged me not to take a weight lifting class because it will make me stronger and not see the results I will see with the trainer. I dropped the training and taking the class and feel like I get a better work out!

I also have been told training is 100 percent guaranteed...and when I don't see results, I try to get my money back. They turned around but your posture is better..lol! So I won't be getting any money back.

On the other hand I have friend does personal training and I've worked with her. I thought she was great. I saw the results that I wanted. She lives in another state, otherwise I would be going to her inside of the situation that just happened to me.
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Well i can say i have seen the trainer who pushes you till you puke and i have seen ones that dont. I hired a trainer a couple of weeks ago, my first trainer wanted to kill me i think, he did what he calls an assesment to see where my breaking points were. Well i couldnt standup straight for a week and walking was very difficult. I have a different one now and i told him straight up what i felt like after that and he doesnt push me nearly as hard. Since there are several trainers in this one gym i was able to ask for a different one. So its all about communication and rather or not your trainer cares that you get in shap or not.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I already knew that the licensing/credentialing program for trainers wasn't very stringent. That's why it is such a long process to find the right trainer (one who is knowledgable AND will motivate you). I stick with DVD workouts lol.
  • sunshinestorm
    sunshinestorm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I do believe some of this, but obviously it cannot be applied to every personal trainer. It is best to do your research in your personal trainers. I had one though a gym and he was giving me nutritional advice through a special program taught by this gym... later I found out that he really didn't know what he was talking about. Until I started this website, I had no idea you were supposed to eat back calories burned. Knowing this information would have been helpful because that's why I wasn't losing for so long. Also, I had to pay for a website that only provided calorie counting and nutritional information, and did not keep track of workouts and calories burned. This website is now my personal trainer! Along with Jillian and many other DVD's I have.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    A lot of them I'm witnesses myself. The biggest being #9. "Once I get my big break, I'm outta here." I loved my health club and my trainers, but within a 6 month period, I'd been through 3 trainers. he first moved out of state. The second needed to concentrate more on her degree and thus quit. The 3rd...well, she was great, but I'd lost motivation by then. Now I have one-way conversation with my trainers on DVD! lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it depends a lot on the individual trainer, but from what I've read and from advice I've gotten from medical professionals (most close friends and family), the part about the supplements and meal replacements is 100% on.

In my limited experience with trainers, those things were not pushed on me. But I know some horror stories where they were and people have permanant health problems because of it.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would say yes. A friend of mine is a exercise sports psychologist and is always talking about how amazed she is that so many smart people go to trainers and don't ask if they have anything more than an online degree. You would never got to a doctor who has an online degree so why would you take medical/ dietary advice from someone who does. I am sure there are good programs out there (don't attack me) but I work in the medical field and I know there are things you cant learn in a class room. Hints why creditable courses in healthcare make you spend hundreds of hours working in the field before certifying you.

Great Post :) Something to think about before spending the big bucks :)
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had a good personal trainer and I would say some of the items are probably true, but in my case, not to the extent of those listed. My trainer had a bootcamp and while I can do the exercises on my own (kettlebell, trx, plyometrics), there is something to be said for having someone there encouraging you, especially in a group setting. My trainer was a good marketer- but you have to be when you want to make money at something you love that is client-based. He never worked anyone until they fainted or tried to prove we were out of shape- he wanted to show us what a good workout was like and expressed the importance of pacing ourselves. Hmmm other items? Nutrition. He actually scheduled a nutritionist to come to our bootcamp and if he gave advice he would always say it was his opinion- that he wasn't a nutritionist. All in all- it just depends on the trainer. I think a good trainer is one who meets with you before you sign up and has you watch one of their sessions and goes through the exercies. Also, my trainer was always talking about bringing in friends and referrals and had several price cuts and deals if you did- so if they don't mention that then they may already have enough clients or they want everyone at a baseline price which is usually steep. Just depends... Also, about the training and qualifications- my trainer was certified, but he was always going to new camps and seminars and working with trainers of professional teams- so I feel that he was definitely trained and constantly improving myself. He set the bar high for me and I don't plan to have a trainer in the future that doesn't meet these criteria. I think the article makes a great point because I have definitely seen some inferior trainers at gyms who just walk around and tell a client to do x minutes on the treadmill and then x, y, z...not worth the money really
  • safeswim
    Options
    I have worked for several gyms (from private ones to YMCAs) and I can say that unfortunately this article is SPOT ON in every single point. That's not to say that there are not good personal trainers out there that really know what they are doing, but alot of them are just skinny fit people who like to hang out at the gym.

I have found that some of the better ones have been college students that are studying Nutrition or Physical Therapy. If you can find a trainer that truly has that kind of background (degree or upperclassmen working at the gym to get the resume build) you will probably truly gain alot from them.

My recommendation, be careful and check credentials before agreeing to a Personal Training session - no matter where it is.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I would more accurately title the article as "10 Things the WRONG Personal Trainer Will tell you".

Sadly, I've seen these very examples in far too many places at various gyms and fitness centres I've worked at. It's unfortunate, but also one of the primary things WRONG with the industry as well.

Many gyms only care about making money rather then the actual health and well-being of the individual.

When I train people, I view myself as a Strength Coach, and people are paying me for my knowledge as a teacher, to help them learn what they need to do to be better for whatever their goals my be. It's entirely up to them to do the work or not. I simply provide the tools.

I've worked with several coaches who train the same way and they're the best of the best in my opinion.

Items #1 and #4 are the product of really bad gyms, primarily large chains, which are only concerned with sales. There is very little "Personal" about it for the most part, speaking from experience.

That being said, there are numerous "Certifications" which can be done in a 2 day weekend course, and some of them are simply no different than taking your drivers licence exam. (Read the Book, write a Multiple Choice test and if you get 80% of better...you're "Certified"). The A.C.E. exam was like that years ago, although I can't say if it's changed these days, and 50% of the questions were centred around "Covering your Butt" in the event of a liability.

That's far different from someone who has a university degree in Exercise Science complete with hands on case studies, lab work and practicum giving them stronger qualifications than the guy who simply spends alot of time at the gym and decides to become a "trainer".

The real unfortunate part of the article is #10 ""I'm no nutritionist, but that won't stop me from telling you what to eat.". Unfortunately, this is very true in a vast majority, those people primarily being the ones who just do the weekend certifications, rather than any training or Education in Nutrition.

There is many a bad trainer who believes they know it all because they did a class years ago or spent 25 years in the industry ot whatnot, but the really good trainers, are the ones who are continually educating themselves on what's what so they can in turn pass the knowledge on to their clients for the best possible results!

Thanks for sharing! Cheers!
  • bethanyranes
    bethanyranes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been working out with a personal trainer 2x a week for the past few months and I have really loved it. Not only do I not have to worry about switching up my strength training routine, it keeps me accountable and since I get along really well with my trainer, it's like working out with a friend. I almost NEVER want to go to my strength training workouts (he pushes me hard!), but I keep my appointments knowing that 1) He's there waiting for me and I'm his last appointment of the day, so no-showing would be a dirty move, and 2) Once I get there, we'll start BS-ing with each other about football, or me *****ing about the workouts, or even sometimes on my improvements (he's not a jerk, it's just that we both like to give each other a hard time), and my workout flies by. This has been the longest I've ever stayed with a strength training program, and I've seen a lot of improvements in my strength, balance, and muscle tone.

I can't ever think of a time when this stuff was pertinent to my trainer, but I go to a training studio - it's not a trainer at a regular gym. When we workout, it's just us and my husband and his trainer in the next studio. My trainer has always been very knowledgeable about my exercise and diet, and when I have questions or concerns, he usually is very helpful (Due to an old injury, I was having terrible knee pain when I first started running. He built my workouts around easing it, and within a couple of weeks, I had no pain at all and could see a remarkable improvement in my running stance and posture - while training for several months and running a half marathon, my knee never bothered me again!) He doesn't ever try to "sell himself" as an expert or anything, he just gives me answers (or tells me he doesn't know).

While we unfortunately have to end our contract this year due to financial constraints, my husband and I both agree that working with the trainers has been super worthwhile (my husband looks AMAZING!) and we would like to come back as soon as we have more stable income.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I agree with some of what is written there. I've been in 2 of the most biggest & most reputable fitness centers & including in my membership package is the free 2-day one-on-one session a PT teach you the right way of exercising, also the PT will design a program for you. Since I don't have the extra money to avail of the PT services so I just listened very carefully & made sure I do all the right way. Sometimes being "poor" has its advantages :laugh: Good thing I still remember those exercises 5 years ago & still do it at home. I'm proud to say that I actually reached my desired shape & weight on my own at home & not in the gym & more so without a PT.
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have never used a personal trainer, but if it motivates you to lose weight and stay fit, I'd say go for it.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I would more accurately title the article as "10 Things the WRONG Personal Trainer Will tell you".

Sadly, I've seen these very examples in far too many places at various gyms and fitness centres I've worked at. It's unfortunate, but also one of the primary things WRONG with the industry as well.

Many gyms only care about making money rather then the actual health and well-being of the individual.

When I train people, I view myself as a Strength Coach, and people are paying me for my knowledge as a teacher, to help them learn what they need to do to be better for whatever their goals my be. It's entirely up to them to do the work or not. I simply provide the tools.

I've worked with several coaches who train the same way and they're the best of the best in my opinion.

Items #1 and #4 are the product of really bad gyms, primarily large chains, which are only concerned with sales. There is very little "Personal" about it for the most part, speaking from experience.

That being said, there are numerous "Certifications" which can be done in a 2 day weekend course, and some of them are simply no different than taking your drivers licence exam. (Read the Book, write a Multiple Choice test and if you get 80% of better...you're "Certified"). The A.C.E. exam was like that years ago, although I can't say if it's changed these days, and 50% of the questions were centred around "Covering your Butt" in the event of a liability.

That's far different from someone who has a university degree in Exercise Science complete with hands on case studies, lab work and practicum giving them stronger qualifications than the guy who simply spends alot of time at the gym and decides to become a "trainer".

The real unfortunate part of the article is #10 ""I'm no nutritionist, but that won't stop me from telling you what to eat.". Unfortunately, this is very true in a vast majority, those people primarily being the ones who just do the weekend certifications, rather than any training or Education in Nutrition.

There is many a bad trainer who believes they know it all because they did a class years ago or spent 25 years in the industry ot whatnot, but the really good trainers, are the ones who are continually educating themselves on what's what so they can in turn pass the knowledge on to their clients for the best possible results!

Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

^^^ *like* In addition, when your personal trainer gives you advice, take it as "advice" aka "suggestion". The guy/gal isn't God. I haven't seen a single trainer walk on water yet. Just because he/she is in top condition, doesn't mean that they can do that for you. You are an individual. Listen to their advice and if it doesn't make sense to you, dont do it. If they offer enough "bad advice" get rid of them and try someone else. Use common sense.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I worked with a trainer - I called him Atill the Hun, but he saved my life, he cared about my weight loss, and he taught me proper form on the machines. It is a service, find some who adores you as much as your money.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The article is right on the money about how the WRONG personal trainer will do you no good. This is why you should shop around to find the right trainer. The right trainer can keep your work-outs fresh and challenging.

Shortly after joining my gym, I decided that a trainer might be able to aide me in my weight loss journey. The first trainer acted like I was totally wasting her time. Yes, I was grossly obese (and creeping up on 50). And yes, I used to be a power lifter.... there's very little equipment in the gym that I don't know how to use. In fact, I've been weight lifting longer than that trainer has been alive. I needed to find someone that would push me, challenge me, but not be a condescending twit.

Luckily, I found that person. I've been working with my trainer for about 6 months. He keeps my routines mixed up, pushes me, and yet is constantly checking to see just HOW am I feeling during the workout. He knows that I used to be a power lifter, and also knows that over the decades I've been in a couple of car accidents that have left permanent side effects. In addition, I had 'out of control' asthma which is now under control with updated meds. We've torqued my back a couple of times trying new exercises, and the unanimous decision is "Well.... I won't be doing THAT one again... let's find something else that will work the same muscle groups". We NEVER work legs... I don't need to pay him to help load (and unload) the leg press sled. I do legs days on my time... not paid time.

The point of my rambling, is that by TALKING to your trainer, and listening in return, you CAN find a trainer that can help you work out and get fit. Be sure to state your physical limitations. And if you don't want to work out to the puke point, then put your dainty sneaker down and say "THAT'S ENOUGH!". If you can go harder, then challenge your trainer to ramp it up a notch. Go for those extra 3 reps.

Favorite comment from my trainer -- "Dang! You're getting STRONG! This is gonna be fun." And then I couldn't lift my arms for a day due to a monster shoulder workout. <lol>

P.S. My trainer isn't into selling the protein shakes and such garbage. In fact, he just checks that I'm eating ENOUGH calories. A good trainer wants you properly fueled for the workout.