Meal Diary Fat Macros - What's the Point?

Options
Rigsbyx
Rigsbyx Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2021 in Getting Started
Hi everyone,

I'm sure that I'm not the first person to discuss the topic regarding fats and our daily macros.

Hitting macros is important, yes? So why doesn't MFP distinguish between good fats and bad fats so that our daily targets are easier to reach, the numbers are better to understand and we don't waste time worrying and sifting through our line entries?

Currently, most of my fats are the healthy ones, but yet my daily macro numbers are way above the target I have set.

People are saying that you can't get fat if you eat (bad) fats. Well, that's just rubbish! Calories are also extremely important regarding losing / gaining weight.

So, please can someone recommend how I reach my daily fats target if MFP doesn't segregate both the good and bad fats? It's highly annoying for people with OCD because I want to be bang on.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hitting macros is important for some people, it's irrelevant for others. And even for those who try to hit them, hitting them "bang on" isn't something most of them strive for because it's a lot of effort for something that doesn't provide any real benefit.

You should see breakdowns of the various fats you're eating (assuming you're choosing database entries that include that information). I believe you can set individual goals based on what you consider "good" and "bad" (there isn't universal agreement on whether certain types of fats are "bad" or "good").

I don't know why anyone would say you can't get fat if you eat fat. Any macro you consume that puts you over the calories your body needs will result in excess weight gain, including (but not exclusively) fats.

If you consider hitting your macros important and you're consuming more fat than your goal, how is a further breakdown going to change that? Any fat you consume is going to take away from the protein and carbohydrates you (presumably) also want to hit goals on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Rigsbyx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm sure that I'm not the first person to discuss the topic regarding fats and our daily macros.

Hitting macros is important, yes?

Coming close to a good macro goal for protein & fats: That's a good idea for health. It needn't be exactly exact every single day, and usually being over one of those (or both) is fine, if within a sensible calorie goal, unless an individual has a specific medical reason to limit them. Carbs are not an "essential macronutrient" in a technical sense, i.e., our bodies can essentially manufacture carbs out of protein/fats, but it can't manufacture fat or protein out of anything else, so fat/protein are "essential" to consume.

Some people find that certain carb levels are more useful or beneficial for them for appetite, satiation, or energy level, but that's quite individual.
    So why doesn't MFP distinguish between good fats and bad fats so that our daily targets are easier to reach, the numbers are better to understand and we don't waste time worrying and sifting through our line entries?

Assuming you choose accurate and complete database entries when you log food, MFP tracks fats (as a total), plus the individual subtypes of saturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, monounsaturated fats, trans fats, and dietary cholesterol. Only fats (the total) shows by default on your diary page, but you can customize the display columns and show the ones you prefer to see, though the total number of columns on the diary page is limited. However, you can use reports to look at ones that you don't choose to put on your diary page.

MFP doesn't set goals for all of the subtypes, because most national nutrition bodies don't set targets for those. If you want to have goals for those, you can also change that in your personal settings.

Currently, most of my fats are the healthy ones, but yet my daily macro numbers are way above the target I have set.

If you're eating more than your fat goal, but still hitting/exceeding/coming close to your protein goal on average; aren't exceeding sensible calories; are getting plenty of varied, colorful veggies/fruits; and don't have a specific health condition requiring you to limit fats; I wouldn't personally consider it a problem to exceed fat goal. YMMV.
    People are saying that you can't get fat if you eat (bad) fats. Well, that's just rubbish! Calories are also extremely important regarding losing / gaining weight.
    As Jane said, you gain weight if you exceed a sensible calorie goal often enough, far enough . . . regardless of whether it's excessive fat, protein, carbs. Nutrition is important for health (and satiation, energy, body composition, among other things), but calories are the major direct driver of body weight.
    So, please can someone recommend how I reach my daily fats target if MFP doesn't segregate both the good and bad fats? It's highly annoying for people with OCD because I want to be bang on.

On top of the foregoing comments, there's increasing evidence that saturated fat isn't necessarily "bad fat", though trans fats appear to be injurious.

If you want to track fat subtypes more closely, use your MFP goal settings and diary settings to customize your goals and what you see on your diary page.