Hip squat Pain

So only recently in the past year am I able to squat without having painful hips. I’ve had MRI and nothing is out of place so it must be my squat right?

I’m not new to squatting so is this an age thing or am I regressing to bad form the older I get?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Do you have pain without weights or only while weighted?

Try box squats to see if you are reaching back properly. Goblet squats are another one that helps with form problems.
  • EMc8800
    EMc8800 Posts: 15 Member
    I think the pain started from doing them weighted first then they took a while to heal.

Will try goblet for a few weeks and see how it feels.

Thanks
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    EMc8800 wrote: »
    So only recently in the past year am I able to squat without having painful hips. I’ve had MRI and nothing is out of place so it must be my squat right?

I’m not new to squatting so is this an age thing or am I regressing to bad form the older I get?

Pain is extremely complicated and most people are under the impression a MRI will reveal why they have pain which other than trauma just isnt the case as most would think.

"Good form" cannot be defined universally so it doesn't exist.

I literally have seen a thousand people squat what some would consider "bad form" and they don't experience pain.

I've also have seen over a thousand people squat with what some people consider "good form" and they docomplain of pain.

I wouldn't point to age specifically at least not with the info you've stated so far.

What I would look at is your programming & load management first.

1. Sometimes when the load management is off we tend to feel it in our hips.
    2. Exercise selection or change in stance can attribute to a experience of pain in the hips while performing other lifts. Something as simple as switching/adding low bar from high bar positioning can change the leverages enough to experience pain.
    3. Depth. If this changes in the past month or so.

Dissect anything you've change recently. Even perhaps stressors outside of the gym such as gardening or new shoes.

Feel free to post a vid of your squat on my "form check" thread and follow the instructions and I can take a look if you like.

• KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Several years ago I was having shoulder pain after workouts. Turned out I had never properly dealt with a shoulder injury (that I thought was super minor) from a year prior. Had to do PT & still have to keep my posterior shoulder strong or the pain comes back.

It's always a possibility that there's a muscle imbalance, weakness, or tightness. If it keeps up, consulting a sports medicine Dr. would not be a bad idea.

Exercises from a sports medicine Dr. also stopped my husband's knee pain that he swore for years was from "getting old."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Could be a myriad of things. Form could be off, tight hip flexors, tight hamstrings, foot position, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • EMc8800
    I’m going to try goblin squats for a few weeks and stretch out the hips. I think my lower burst back discs are probably impacting on my form
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I'd definitely get an assessment from a PT. My lower back issues came from weak glute medius muscles. I had great form with squat.
  • EMc8800
    Goblin squats felt more comfortable tonight so will continue these for a few weeks