arches hurt

Options
I just started working out after yrs of doing nothing . I started doing this 4 mile walking class, basically low pact areobics, and I had worn out shoes, so now my arches are killing me. I took off last week and bought new tennis shoes,but it is killing me not exercising.I have shooting pain from my foot up my shin

Replies

• mom2ra
    mom2ra Posts: 4
    Options
    I just started working out after yrs of doing nothing . I started doing this 4 mile walking class, basically low pact areobics, and I had worn out shoes, so now my arches are killing me. I took off last week and bought new tennis shoes,but it is killing me not exercising.I have shooting pain from my foot up my shin
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, kind of. I've been walking/running on the treadmill all winter. Last week we got a short burst of nice weather so my husband and I took it outside to the road, now I have shin splints and I'm walking like frankenstein:smile: . The pain will go away eventually but man until it does...

Just hang in there and try to work through it if you can. Just maybe go a little slower?
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    Doing things different takes time for the body to adjust. I do martial arts and do a lot of barefoot stuff. Last year, after doing ma for 4 years, my arches started hurting. It lasted for months. Our Grandmaster is an expert on body mechanics. He had me get a soda bottle (or something similar made of glass) and role the bottle back and forth under each foot. I would do it slowly. This would destress that area and "stretch" the arch back out. I have since been told soccer players, basketball players, etc. use this method for their arches,too. Continue your exercise. Glad you got the new shoes. This, too, shall pass!:heart:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    A tennis ball works great to massage the arches of your feet.

You strained them by wearing crappy shoes. Make sure your new shoes have good arch support.

Do you know if you have flat feet by any chance??

You can put your feet in an ice bath for no more than 5-10min and that should give them some relief until they heal.

PEOPLE! If you haven't done exercise in a long time do your body a favor and start out slowly please!!! 4 miles is A LOT to do right away.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!:bigsmile: