Pierogies!

Options
Do you know that pierogies (Potato and onion) only have 160 calories per serving (3 pierogies)? Also, I have found a great recipe that is super filling. Boil the frozen pierogies, and drain. In a separate pan sautee spinach, onions, and garlic. In a glass dish, add one to two cans (your preference) of cream of mushroom soup (Aldi sells a fit and active brand) to the bottom of the dish. Add the cooked pierogies followed by the veggie mixture and bake on 350 for 20 minutes. You can also add low fat or fat free cheese to the top if you would like! It is amazing and really filling, for very little calories!

Replies

• smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love love love perogies and this sounds yummy!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    This sounds so good! I didn't realize they were that low in calories!
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    alas, its the sodium that will kill ya.... lol I love Pierogies! We make dozens and dozens of them at a time in my family (Polish, guilty as charged)
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I love making Pierogies! I didn't realize they froze well though!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I too LOVE Pierogies!! YUM
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Similar to this is the Indian samosa. My wife bakes (rather than the traditional deep-fry method) and they taste awesome. Calories nearly the same as the pierogies.
  • CamiXiomara
    Options
    Do you know that pierogies (Potato and onion) only have 160 calories per serving (3 pierogies)? Also, I have found a great recipe that is super filling. Boil the frozen pierogies, and drain. In a separate pan sautee spinach, onions, and garlic. In a glass dish, add one to two cans (your preference) of cream of mushroom soup (Aldi sells a fit and active brand) to the bottom of the dish. Add the cooked pierogies followed by the veggie mixture and bake on 350 for 20 minutes. You can also add low fat or fat free cheese to the top if you would like! It is amazing and really filling, for very little calories!

I love pierogies. They are my absolute favorite. I bake them plain and eat them like snack when I am just being lazy. Which is almost every day since I never learned to make a meal in my life. Thank God my husband cooks. I will try this recipe today. Thank you for the post.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, I LOVE pierogies. There is a Russian store here that sells fresh ones, not too bad on the sodium at all. I bake them with a bit of pasture butter and then add a dollop of Nancy's cultured sour cream :D Yum!!!!
  • ksminor22
    Options
    I don't suggest eating the whole dish at once, but it sure is tempting, lol! But small portions is what makes it worthwhile. Good eye for the sodium watchers!
  • statia152
    Options
    If you use the old recipe ( 3 Tbsp melted butter, 4 egg yolks) its not that healthy. Of course I favor the cheese filled with lots of butter on top. Even the sauerkraut (Kapusta) is cooked in bacon fat. And the blueberries ones you cover with cream. LOL You must be talking about the store bought ones (YUK!). But I am glad you can fit those into your daily allowance.
  • statia152
    Options
    I love making Pierogies! I didn't realize they froze well though!

Freeze on a wax covered cookie sheet before putting into freezer bags. So they don't stick together.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    alas, its the sodium that will kill ya.... lol I love Pierogies! We make dozens and dozens of them at a time in my family (Polish, guilty as charged)

I knew I'd see you in this thread!
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Nothing is a bad choice in a small enough portion.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm from the south. What in the world is a pier-whats-it-called???
  • junebugmoss
    junebugmoss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yummy yummy love me some Pierogies!!!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm from the south. What in the world is a pier-whats-it-called???

It's like a dumpling filled with potatoes (kind of mashed up), maybe cheese, meat. You can find them in the freezer section - they come in a blue bag - at least they had them back when I lived in Atlanta. It's a traditional Polish food and generally people sauté them with onions, butter, etc., and eat the deliciosity that is. I've seen them outside of the freezer section, in specific pierogie restaurants, in Pittsburgh and Cleveland.
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Similar to this is the Indian samosa. My wife bakes (rather than the traditional deep-fry method) and they taste awesome. Calories nearly the same as the pierogies.

I love samosas. You think I could get your wife's recipe? :)