Water

Options
How much is to much? It seems the more I drink the less I lose. I am drinking at least 100OZ a day, sometimes double that. Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

Replies

• runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I posted about this too.... I got some great feedback - It's hard to drink too much water .. I thought that was my case, and eventually it just started helping .... Good luck doll!!
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    Half your weight in ounces per day. At 200 lbs that comes out to a little over 12 cups. I felt better when I went to that level, I drink more when I have a lengthy workout, like over 2 hours. or if it's stinky hot outside.
  • Jess22542
    Options
    I drink a ton too. It's not a bad thing at all. If anything, it's good for you. It can, though, inflate your weight a few pounds because of water weight. My recommendation is to weigh yourself first thing in the morning when you do your weight ins. This way, you won't have any fluctuations based on how much water you have throughout the day. It'll be a more accurate way for you to calculate your weight loss. Good luck!
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    How much sodium are you taking in. Lots of water will help flush sodium of of your system, but a high amount will still cause you to retain water.

Also, if you are working out and building muscle, the body uses water to repair muscle tissue. So it is possible that you body it also retaining water for this.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    while it is possible to drink too much water, a study that was done showed that folks who were approaching 2 gallons a day (264 ounces) did not show any ill effects from the volume of water. I have read several things about how much water to drink. from what I have read, 100-132 ounces seems like a good range. I have also read that you should drink enough water to have 3-4 clear or near clear urinations a day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Normally, half your weight in ounces is right. For someone more active, extra hydration is needed so you want to drink about 75% of you weight in ounces - for someone who weighs 200 pounds, that would be 150 ounces or 18.75 cups per day.

Go by urine color, if it's clear you might be overhydrated. As long as there's some color, you're fine.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water won't make you gain weight. Hopefully you are weighing yourself in a consistent way. The main recommendation on that is to weigh in no more than once a week, on the same day each week, in the morning after you urinate. At that time any excess water should be flushed out.
  • micklespiffy
    Options
    You might be retaining water. :laugh:

Seriously, there was an article in the LA Times a month or so ago tracking down the "8 glasses a day" thing and it found there has never been any research in the area. (and that number just sounded good to someone unknown.) My own doc once said that when the outgoing color gets too close to the incoming color, it's too much. Hope that helps.
  • steveh08
    steveh08 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Right now I am 275 down from 310. I have been drinking at least 100OZ every day and was losing. I have uped it to that to close to 200 most days the last week and have not seen any weight loss this week. Acutually put on about a pound.
  • Tallishah
    Options
    Water is one of the most vital component to weight loss and healthy living. it is my understanding that a gallon of water (128 oz) actually weighs about 8.35 lbs in equivalent dry weight. This should be taken into consideration when trying to determine weight loss. I drink a lot of water myself and I understand how the apparent addition of weight can affect the scale. So when I want a true determination of my weight loss, I drink all of my water prior to 6pm and then do my cardio workout. After the gym I drin a little water to quench my thirst, but then I simply got to sleep and wake up the next morning and weigh myself. This is not something I do very often.

I also bought a scale which tells me ( not sure about the accuracy) the percentage of water in my body. I strive to keep this number constant. If the numbner is constant then I know the weight loss is an actual loss. I hope this make sense and helps. Never stop drinking the water.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water won't make you gain weight. Hopefully you are weighing yourself in a consistent way. The main recommendation on that is to weigh in no more than once a week, on the same day each week, in the morning after you urinate. At that time any excess water should be flushed out.

Well, technically, if you are dehydrated and then start drinking the appropriate amount of fluid to properly hydrate yourself, you WILL gain weight. :drinker: