Skinny Fat - Beginner

Hey everybody!

I am looking for some feedback/guidance on my calories/macros. I have been lifting for about a year and have seen a lot strength gains however I am still struggling with being “skinny fat”. I am 6’3”, 196 pounds and 27 years old. Based from what I see on forums and stuff is that I have been under eating. I had been eating 3 meals a day probably about 1600-1800 calories. Everything says I should be eating more even tho I have too much fat to see my abs for example. So I set my calories to 2300, p-174, F-90, and C-203. For someone who lifts 3 days a week on machines, weight cables, dumbbells, smith machine primarily is this accurate for good results? On opposite days I do cardio such as bike for 20, 20 min of battle ropes and 20 min of abs. I currently supplement creatine and whey protein. I believe I am around 15-20% BF. I have attached a couple pics. Let me know if you guys think I am on the right track or if I should be making some adjustments. Thanks in advance !

jx772rg0xlco.jpeg
4k7s1p8616oo.jpeg

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,311 Member
    edited August 2021
    So the first question everyone will ask you is whether you’re using a food scale. If not, your calorie intake could be really out. And at your height if you’re not losing weight then it’s unlikely you’re only eating 1600-1800.
    Get a good scale, record every single morsel of food and drink which passes your lips and see how many calories you’re taking in, then you can adjust your calories and macros.

“Skinny fat” is a term banded around but it actually means someone who appears visibly skinny (think v low BMI) but has fat all around their organs. It’s unhealthy.

If you want to get a more defined appearance then you have a couple of choices. You can do recomp or bulk and cut. There are some great threads on here (and someone whose search function works will link them I’m sure) but the very first step is knowing EXACTLY how many calories you are taking in.
    Edited to add: for reference, I maintain on 2100 cals, I’m 5’3, female and 47. So yes you do need more than 1600 cals - if that is actually what you’re eating.
  • projectgethuge85
    projectgethuge85 Posts: 40 Member
    asime04 wrote: »
    Hey everybody!

I am looking for some feedback/guidance on my calories/macros. I have been lifting for about a year and have seen a lot strength gains however I am still struggling with being “skinny fat”. I am 6’3”, 196 pounds and 27 years old. Based from what I see on forums and stuff is that I have been under eating. I had been eating 3 meals a day probably about 1600-1800 calories. Everything says I should be eating more even tho I have too much fat to see my abs for example. So I set my calories to 2300, p-174, F-90, and C-203. For someone who lifts 3 days a week on machines, weight cables, dumbbells, smith machine primarily is this accurate for good results? On opposite days I do cardio such as bike for 20, 20 min of battle ropes and 20 min of abs. I currently supplement creatine and whey protein. I believe I am around 15-20% BF. I have attached a couple pics. Let me know if you guys think I am on the right track or if I should be making some adjustments. Thanks in advance !

jx772rg0xlco.jpeg
    4k7s1p8616oo.jpeg

Send me a friend request and we can discuss it. Hate leaving long responses here
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    If you're not losing weight, I doubt you're eating 1,800 calories a day. I'm 6'2" 205 lift 5-6 days a week for about an hour. get about 10k steps a day and maintain at about 2,800 calories.
  • bibbi7002
    bibbi7002 Posts: 1 Member
    you have to build up your muscles before cutting the calories, otherwise there would be nothing to show,
    and to do so your calories intake is too low, I suggest you a reverse diet until your reach your TDEE and go for a surplus trying to get a lean bulk.
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    edited September 2021
    I’m 6”4 and 196lbs and I have to eat ~3000 calories a day to maintain my weight. I’d expect you to be losing weight at an alarming rate if you were really were eating 1600-1800.

Better to base your calorie requirements on empirical evidence (track calories and weight daily over a few weeks and determine the trend) than estimates.

I weighed ~220 around a year ago and slimmed down to where I am now, and have since done a couple of bulk-and-cut cycles. I seem to be progressing slowly on Michael Matthew’s year 1 challenge program but reasonably well.