Good food weighing scales??

Options
I wanna buy some. I'm sick of eating chicken or frozen veg and just guessing/hoping for the best. I'm losing weight very steady and apart from the first few weeks I lose spot on 2lb a week. I'm more than happy with that but obviously if I'm overestimating my food (which I belive I might be sometimes!) I might get a little boost and lose a few extra pounds for a few weeks.

I eat what I feel is a good measurement but I'm always quite gutted to get onto MFP and then wonder if I did eat too much after all because alot of it is in grams and not say erm 6 slices of chicken - which I understand because no one can tell how thick/big the cuts are ect!

Anyway!! Sorry for the ramble, does anyone have any good recommendations for scales, I have a tiny kitchen and I hate stuff on the sides (apart from microwave, kettle, sterilizer) so something easily packed away would be great! I'm in the UK so prices in pounds would be easier and something with local delivery.

Or if failing that - is there any other ways to control portions known in grams? Don't think I'm overlooking something really simple but it wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks!

Replies

• gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Bump.

Someone must know. Get on my thread!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I just bought a cheap one in a store. It comes in its own little container and fits nicely in a drawer. You should be able to find one as well without having to order something online.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I got a nice digital one at Target. It wasn't expensive and I recommend it.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/328471520-Digital-LCD-Electronic-Kitchen-Scale-wholesalers.html

I bought this product for around 30 dollars at wal-mart. It is VERY good, measures extremely accurately (as long as the microwave isn't on)

The website I listed says it is no longer available, but perhaps you can use the name to search for it in stores near you.
  • owlwomyn
    owlwomyn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use the Cusinart. It's small enough for counter or you can tuck it away. It weighs in grams and oz. The price in the states was around $25 I think.
    Weighing is a great help for sure! It is sometimes surprising to me that I can have more than I would have imagnined! The opposite happens sometimes as well :-( though!
    Good luck to you!
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have th Biggest Loser - it was $20 from Bed Bath & Beyond with my 20% off discount - I first purchased a cheap regular scale hated it and I never used it with this i can use my serving plate and measure - very easy and good size - but really needed
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    I got a digital Polder scale on Amazon.com. I don't like it though as it does not give accurate readings. It's OK for weighing food (off by a couple of ounces or half gram or so usually) but I'm not sure I'd trust it for baking. I read tons of reviews on line and know the brand has a good reputation for other kitchen items. but the scale is a dud. I can't help but think the good old fashioned scales with the needle are the way to go! You should be able to find a basic scale at a local super market.
  • JohnFurie
    Options
    Back when me and the wife were doing WW, we bought thiers and it woks fine. It is nice and compact and I think we paid like 30.00 for it.
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    When I had gestational diabetes my nutritionist gave me a handy printout that gave common household items you can use to estimate portion sizes. You can google "estimating food portions" and a lot of sources will come up. Here's a link to a basic guide with grams and ounces: http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/FoodPortions.html
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    thanks for all the replies everyone!

:)
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    got mine from the dollar store, compared it with my brothers and it works EXACTLY the same!