Anyone else quit soda?

I used to only drink sugary drinks. My fav drink was pepsi. I quit drinking it cold turkey a few months ago. Now when I try a sip of any soda, it taste nasty. Anyone else had this experience. It kinda sucks because sometimes I want to enjoy a Pepsi but it doesn’t taste the same

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    I quit drinking sodas over 5 years ago. Doing so help me lose 40# w/in 6 months and maintain that loss over time.

Haven't had a drop since then.

So, can't tell you how it tastes to me now but my guess is that it would taste super sweet and be unappealing to me now BUT I'm also sure that it wouldn't be hard to get hooked on sodas again if I allowed myself to do so.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,289 Member
    I quit sugar soda well over a decade ago, and absolutely do not miss it , not even one little bit.
    I also quit fast food restaurants about six years ago. Now if I have a bite of anything except fries from a fast food joint, it tastes like salt and oil and nothing else.

Give yourself some time. You won’t miss the Pepsi at all. I promise.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    other than sprite zero (maybe one a day) i dont drink any but its not really by choice lol

one of the medications i am on has made ALL sodas (except sprite zero for some bizarre reason) taste flat. so... they all taste horrible. i used to live on diet coke. lost 189 pounds living off diet coke, so it has no effect on weight loss (i guess some people feel it makes them crave sweet things but for me it doesnt). even the sprite zero... i can only have one before it starts to taste .... weird to me. so its not something i can drink all day.

on the plus side, i drink a WHOLE lot more water now (close to a gallon a day). i mean, thats a good thing, but yeah. i really miss my soda. it just tastes disgusting now. LOL
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I don't think I ever drank sugar filled sodas but lived on Diet Coke for so many years. :( It got very expensive and, not sure if this was true or not, but I swear it kept my sugar cravings high. Or maybe it was simply a habit that every time I had soda I wanted something to eat with it. IDK. I haven't even tried a sip since I quit which was maybe 6 years or so ago. I know myself and know 1 sip would bring me right back to drinking a 6 pack a day. No need for that. :(
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    I rarely drink it, just because it's not worth the calorie count for me.

Every once in a while I will have a Pepsi Zero or a Mountain Dew Zero, but not too often. Mainly just when I am sick of the other things I drink often (sparkling water/water).
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I used to only drink sugary drinks. My fav drink was pepsi. I quit drinking it cold turkey a few months ago. Now when I try a sip of any soda, it taste nasty. Anyone else had this experience. It kinda sucks because sometimes I want to enjoy a Pepsi but it doesn’t taste the same

I drink Diet Dr. Pepper on occasion, but yes, after having no issue drinking most sodas, once I quit I don't enjoy the taste of them now. There's a local shop that makes their own cream and cherry sodas, and I have enjoyed those and they're quite sweet, but they don't have that heavily acidic taste I associate with other pop. Even those, though, I definitely couldn't drink more than one and definitely not as more than the occasional treat.
  • boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    I haven't quit it completely and doubt I ever will. I've opted for smaller portions every now and then. Instead of buying a twelve pack of cans I'll buy an eight pack of the small cans and maybe drink one a week.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    I quit drinking Coca-Cola decades ago when there were incidents of glass being found in the cans :/
    I also felt the way you did after drinking Coca-Cola again a few months later. To be honest, I still barely drink sodas anymore, my only exception being some tonics occasionally or Orangina (which I only see in France now), everything else just tastes horribly sweet now.
  • kryvons
    kryvons Posts: 107 Member
    I don’t remember the last time I drank a soda… I don’t even like the smell anymore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2021
    I gave up full sugar soda when I was losing weight, but I have one every once in awhile and I don't think it's nasty at all...just something as a treat every once in awhile. I love a Fanta on a hot day at the beach or something...but it has to be the real stuff from Mexico. There's also a farm that we go to around Halloween to get our pumpkins and they home brew a pretty kick *kitten* sarsaparilla.

Day to day I drink Reef's zero sugar extra ginger beer...I have one with lunch most days. I'm not big on main stream commercial soda, diet or otherwise...but there's some pretty good craft stuff out there these days. I'll have a Coke Zero every once in awhile, usually if we're out to eat or something...but generally opt for iced tea.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Though my preference is Diet Pepsi, I indulge every so often on regular Pepsi. It's still all about calories in/out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    I swapped regular sodas for diet version when I started to lose weight.

I dont drink a great deal of them - about equivalent of 2 or 3 cans per week

Pepsi max or diet coke for me - and I very occasionally have a non diet coke. It does taste more syrupy for me now than I remember from before
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I quit a major Coke habit when I was diagnosed with diabetes, and had the same experience with taste. It took about two weeks for the cravings to stop, but now it tastes vile to me. Haven’t had one in four years, don’t plan to. I never tried diet because diet drinks always did taste nasty to me.

Weirdly enough, stopping soda also stopped my cravings for French fries and pizza, which I used to crave because the sweet soda gave me cravings for salty, greasy foods.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    I haven't even had a carbonated drink of any kind in over ten years.

Tea, coffee, milk, water - that's it for me.
  • fitwithfaith256
    fitwithfaith256 Posts: 15 Member
    I haven't had one for over two years now. Just water now and an occasional cup of hot herb tea.