Battling Chronic Pain

Options
Hi all ๐Ÿ™ƒ

I started a new account because this is my attempt to take back my life from chronic pain using diet and exercise. I am 29 and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in July. I went into a depression which of course meant binge eating. That coupled with water retention caused by my meds has my weight sky rocketing and the pain along with it! I'm working my way towards an anti-inflammatory diet to lose weight and control my pain.

I love art, gaming, comics, and am going to school to be a web developer. Please add me and we can do this journey together!! ๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Chronic pain is miserable and makes people miserable. Good luck in managing it. I gained weight last year as a career when my husband needed to be driven everywhere and then this year when I hurt my back. We moved so my husband doesn't need to drive to work and I have new strategies for feeding myself if my back goes out again.

My husband has had some success going through the process of an elimination diet. It turns out, dairy and potatoes were contributing to his pain. Now he has removed them from his daily diet. I won't say he is cured, but the improvement is noticeable.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Note: buy a food scale

Good luck with your journey!
  • snapshotstacy
    snapshotstacy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I have fibro as well (diagnosed in 2009 - about 10 years after I started showing symptoms).

I've been super lucky that for the most part I'm able to control my chronic pain, fog, & depression with diet and (very little) exercise. I'm happy to chat if you ever need it - I just tossed you a friend request.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hello! I managed to ditch 30 years of chronic pain! Herniated discs, spinal stenosis and fibro.... the chronic pain is gone. Id love to chat with you guys! It seems I'm a month late to the party.... but here I am! ha ha
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Resources: The cure for chronic pain youtube and podcast is where it started for my pain. After 5 years of pain meds and then my first ever panic attack... I refused to live that life. So I found a way out. ALL FREE INFORMATION that is available to everyone.
  • maxwellsarah312
    maxwellsarah312 Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    How do I add you? I also have chronic pain. No one has diagnosed me yet so not sure why I feel this way. Iโ€™m also trying the low inflammation diet but my husband makes it difficult. Heโ€™s always buying sodas and cookies. I weigh more than him.... heโ€™s like 5โ€11โ€™ and Iโ€™m 4โ€11โ€™ :(
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there is little evidence that the inflammation diet actually does anything.

i have a rare autoimmune and fibro. i have found that staying active on days where i can has helped the most. food had no effect on my pain. walking/running, yoga, hiking, etc has helped tremendously
  • maxwellsarah312
    maxwellsarah312 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel the same way actually. I do have more energy and feel happier when I eat healthy items but yeah, the pain is always there. We kind of get used to it donโ€™t we. I wonder how productive I would be without it!
  • MrsG1994
    MrsG1994 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Does anyone want to get this thread going again? I have chronic back pain and would love to support others/be supported. ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • boilerdawg2009
    boilerdawg2009 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Does anyone want to get this thread going again? I have chronic back pain and would love to support others/be supported. ๐Ÿ˜Š

I won't pretend to know what you're going through but you have my support
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

If it doesnโ€™t pick up any momentum, feel free to add me. I definitely understand chronic pain and inflammation. Most of the time Iโ€™m able to control it through diet, exercise, and paying close attention to my mental/emotional state. Iโ€™m currently about six weeks into an unrelenting and painful bought of inflammation, so I empathize. ๐Ÿค—

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Hey if you feel like it, come and join this new group. Chronic pain counts as a disability. If you feel like the support will help you? Weโ€™d be tickled pink to have you. Anyone who wants the support.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141248-disability-fitness-and-weight-management-we-are-here-we-can-do-this
  • iluvnufoods
    iluvnufoods Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also have fibromyalgia, diagnosed about 15 years ago and have been struggling to manage it ever since. I have found some success with medication, but I know that losing weight would be much more effective in pain management. If you're looking for more friends please send me a request!