Weight Loss Plateau

Options
Here is my predicament. I have lost 60 pounds so far and I have been stuck at 299 for 2.5 weeks now. I am male and I am on 1600 calories a day. I went from a half hour cardiovascular to a hour and also started weight trying to fix the plateau. Still no luck. Do you guys have any more suggestions?

Replies

• SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Some things I have learned...
    1. In the first weeks of starting exercise program most folks gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat. SO don't just weigh yourself... MEASURE to see what your body is really doing.
    2. NEVER eat less than about 125O calories... OR try to loose too much too fast. Your body goes into starvation mode and retains fat.
    3. It took YEARS to put on the weight... eat HEALTHY (food pyramid) exercise regularly... and slowly it will come off.
    4. Also, SLOW weight loss is most likely to stay off long term.
    5. DON"T "diet"... just learn to eat properly and exercise regularly. Make your goal "good health."
    6. Eat back at least SOME of your exercise calories. This motivates me to exercise more!
    7. Don't deprive yourself. Learn to have just ONE bite of that cake. Total deprivation may lead to fast weight gain later.
    8. As you gained weight you probably had plateaus going up. Your body remembers these plateaus and will automatically plateau there again on the way down. Some refer to these as "set points." It may take some time and sometimes some adjustments to get past them.
    9. Mix it up. Vary your exercise from day to day and vary your menu. If you get bored you are less likely to be successful.
    10. Fill out your MyFitnessPal.com profile, particpate on the boards and add some friends who will encourage you (and maybe inspire you too) .... and HAVE FUN with it!!

"It matters not if we try and fail, and try and fail again. But it matters much if we try and fail and fail to try again."
  • MrsTits
    MrsTits Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat back your exercise calories and try having 2 or 3 days at maintenance level, i.e. up your cals for a few days.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at 60lbs lost for months, no matter what I did. I recently took a break from my 6 day a week work outs and just said "I deserve some time off" low and behold what happens! I start losing again. Sometimes if we push our bodies too much they go on strike. Good luck to you!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    As a male at 299 lbs, 1600 calories a day, regardless of whether or not you eat your exercise calories back, is not enough fuel for your body's basic functions, let alone daily activities and exercise. Your body may be holding on to weight because of this. In my own experience, increasing my calories to what is healthy for me has helped me break through my plateau.

Try this calculator: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Or this one: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • Hoshneer
    Hoshneer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I may try increasing my calories a bit for a week and see what that does and try some of the other great advice you guys have given. You guys are great. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    As a male at 299 lbs, 1600 calories a day, regardless of whether or not you eat your exercise calories back, is not enough fuel for your body's basic functions, let alone daily activities and exercise. Your body may be holding on to weight because of this. In my own experience, increasing my calories to what is healthy for me has helped me break through my plateau.

Try this calculator: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Or this one: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

agreed, at OP's weight you can likely cut on 3000 cals a day, maybe a bit less if you want to be more aggressive. 1600 cals is way to low, i have a desk job and mostly sedentary and cut on more then 1600
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I may try increasing my calories a bit for a week and see what that does and try some of the other great advice you guys have given. You guys are great. :)
    [/quot

I would increase calories to maintenance weight for as long as it takes to gain 3 pounds. Not 3 pounds of water weight, but an actual 3 pounds. I was on maintenance for a year. Our body ajust to calorie reduction just like it adjust to workouts. Still eat good foods just give yourself a bigger portion of protien and slip in 2Tbs. peanut butter for you extra calories.
    Good read is active- passive diet on line is only seven small chapters, readd the whole thing, because if you don't what the Dr. has to say could be discouraging.