Sweating out fat? Maybe.....

...someday!

Interesting find while doing a study on mice. Wouldn't it be great if you could take a pill, sweat hard, and drop weight?

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/566984-mice-treated-with-an-insulin-related-protein

I figured since it's asked a lot I should post this and give people hope. Until then, sweating doesn't make you drop pounds quicker, it makes you lose more water and is often more to do with condition than it is effort.

Replies

• viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2021
    That article struck me as odd. (Clarification: The BMJ article, not the OP article) Of course energy is created as the fat molecules are broken down into H2O and CO2 in a series of chemical reactions! So in that sense, it is not wrong to say that. Nor does that imply a violation of conservation of mass.

But no, singing won't help. It's not the act of exhaling that burns fat. Exhaling is just how you get rid of the breakdown results of lipolysis: water and carbon dioxide.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited August 2021
    All due respect, but fixation on scale weight is a headscratcher for me. If the goal is to sauna off five pounds for the next prize fight weigh-in, bodybuilding stage competition shred, or to squeeze into a wedding cummerbund, okay. But as a matter of daily sustainable health, fitness, and appearance, why?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I2k4 wrote: »
    All due respect, but fixation on scale weight is a headscratcher for me. If the goal is to sauna off five pounds for the next prize fight weigh-in, bodybuilding stage competition shred, or to squeeze into a wedding cummerbund, okay. But as a matter of daily sustainable health, fitness, and appearance, why?

The mice lost sebum - fat - by having it ooze out their pores. (Which is kind of creepy, if you ask me.) In the actual text, it's clear that "sweat" (verb) is used to describe fat seeping out, not normal perspiration ("sweat", noun).

This is way weirder than mouse saunas or mouse prizefights.

If it's replicated in humans, can get approval, is commercialized, people will clamor for it, and some company will make a lot of money.

If it ends badly long term, there will be lawsuits.

But I'm getting well ahead of reality here: Many/most mouse studies don't turn into approved medical interventions for humans.

Interesting (and creepy), Robert!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Sebum is a particular kind of fat, found only in glands in the skin. It's not the fat around your internal organs that is the greatest health concern, and as I understand it, it's not the fat rolls, back fat, muffin tops, saddle bags, etc. that most us want to get rid of for aesthetic reasons. It doesn't strike me as a particularly good idea to try to get your body to expel a substance that it's probably storing in your glands for a reason, in this case apparently to assist in the formation of a physical barrier to bacteria and other tiny nasties.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member

I'd agree. But not a single person in this thread mentioned any such scale fixation. I can't speak for others, but I haven't been on a scale in probably close to a year.

As for the study, yes somewhat tongue in cheek. It does sound like it could be sort of messy at best and maybe worse. But if there was a way, it could be of use in extreme situations probably.

But if such a thing it was made available, I'm sure people would buy it. People have been looking for the magic weight loss pill for years, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »

But if such a thing it was made available, I'm sure people would buy it. People have been looking for the magic weight loss pill for years, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

If some people are willing to put up with the side effects of Alli, I don’t doubt some would try this too! :o
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    you know what it looks like when you squeeze a little white pimple? thats what i envision this looking like.

i can just see the youtube videos now...

blech.

• IllustriousBee
    IllustriousBee Posts: 70 Member
    Some people already have bad enough BO. Do we really want a bunch of people going around secreting MORE oil and body gunk out of their pores? No thanks. It is super interesting that it caused that to happen to the mice though.