Losing motivation for running

Options
ToffeeApple71
ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
edited August 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
I started jogging in December last year and have built up to running 10km twice a week with a shorter run mid-week. I also do two weights sessions at the gym and have two days rest. We've just gone into lockdown. I have the same route I run each day but it's starting to get boring and I'm losing my motivation! I have missed two runs in the last week just because I can't get motivated. I've changed up my music and downloaded some higher tempo beats than usual. It's hard to change my route because we are meant to stay in our own neighborhood.
I can't gym because they're all shut.
I've been to the park twice with my son who has done an upper body strength session with me, but even that was hard to motivate for.
Any tips for helping my mindset?

Replies

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You can try running the same route backwards.it is still the same,but yet different. You could listen to audio books instead of music.listening to books forces me to pay attention more to the story than the actual running or the route.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Can you turn the route, and reverse route - into a sprint session?
    If running that long already, it may be safe to do but please know yourself.

Either go by distance or time. Now this does mean focusing on the run more actually than distracting from it.

But pick a shortish distance you think you could do all out for about 15-20 sec, then jog recover at whatever speed allows it, may be walking first few times you attempt it.

You'll likely see some fast improvements and might make you feel better about doing it.

Maybe swap out a run session for another strength training - but make it functional style, like you were training for one of those obstacle race shows.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this app myself, but I've heard people who love the Zombies Run app. You might try that?
  • VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for Zombies, Run! - wanting to continue the story is a great motivator, even when doing the same run over and over.
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    Thanks. I've heard of Zombies run but not tried it. I'll give it a go. I've tried running the route backwards but it doesn't really help

I do the occasional speed session and fartlek but I really struggle with them ...and it makes me more reluctant to go out! Stupid I know but it's definitely a mental battle at the moment.

I have a bike so I'm going to do a few bike sessions this week and see if the change is what I need.

I just don't want to lose the gains I've made this year!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Can you occasionally drive to someplace different like a park or a forest trail? I do most of my runs near my home and yes, I do get bored with running the same 5-7 mile loop all the time. Since it starts with a big hill it can make me dread going out on some days. I do it because it's easier than driving to town and more interesting than the treadmill. But at least once a week I do drive to town to run a flat route with lots of possible variations. For long runs I'll drive farther to find a different place to run.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Can you occasionally drive to someplace different like a park or a forest trail? I do most of my runs near my home and yes, I do get bored with running the same 5-7 mile loop all the time. Since it starts with a big hill it can make me dread going out on some days. I do it because it's easier than driving to town and more interesting than the treadmill. But at least once a week I do drive to town to run a flat route with lots of possible variations. For long runs I'll drive farther to find a different place to run.

OP is in lockdown and not allowed to leave their neighborhood.

I would give Zombie Run a try also. It really makes you focus on the story, and gives you a purpose when you run!

Edited to add that when I can run outside (smoke and heat is a problem right now) I too have the same route all the time. I do find switching up what I listen to helps, and I also tell myself that I need to just go and get my five minute warm up in, and if I don't feel it I can either continue just walking or turn back. Most of the time by the time I'm doing my first running interval I'm fine with continuing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Reminds me of the walking partner I had for my lunchtime walks at work back in the 90s - I'm not a fan of hills and she always headed straight for the biggest hill. I couldn't have done it without her!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I ran a Marathon at the beginning of June. I haven't run since. Now I'm ready to start running again. One suggestion... A break to miss it...
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options

We aren't allowed to go far from home at the moment. But I will find some new routes once we come out of lockdown.
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I ran a Marathon at the beginning of June. I haven't run since. Now I'm ready to start running again. One suggestion... A break to miss it...

I'm worried about losing my fitness if I stop. I've worked so hard to get here. I'm going to try some alternatives... there are lots of online things I can try. I have no equipment so it'll have to be bodyweight exercises.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hi ToffeeApple, I'm in Australia in lockdown too. I know it's hard and often I don't feel motivated either. For me, I think of the fact that we CAN AT LEAST leave the house to exercise. It's better than some countries so we may as well use it. Also I know I will feel *amazing* after a workout so I have that to look forward to :)
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options

I'm worried about losing my fitness if I stop. I've worked so hard to get here. I'm going to try some alternatives... there are lots of online things I can try. I have no equipment so it'll have to be bodyweight exercises.

My Christmas present was a jump rope. I think it was around $25-30. Anyway that is so much fun, in my opinion. Like running, you're using all the body parts and you get the heart pumping so hard. If you celebrate Christmas and gift giving, a simple jump rope is a nice present. It fits in a little bag, doesn't take up much space. I get the same excitement from it that I do from running but I get a break from running by using it. You're working on a plan and I think you'll be fine.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options

Agree 100%

If you're not enjoying it - don't do it (for now) You will want to do it again (if you love/crave it) at some point.

Try something new.

You wont lose your fitness. You will prob improve the 'well-roundedness?' of your fitness. I've had lapses from running due to injury/weather that have been many months off from running...when you do do that run after time off - it will be super invigorating! You will be sore after the first run, in a good way - then fine.

I live in a small space and bought some kettlebells, I find them fun

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you can, find a race to enter in a few months time. One that will be a bit of a challenge.
    Nothing like a bit of fear to motivate yourself out the door, always works for me :)

(Obviously its a bit of a gamble with lockdown, but here in the UK most events that couldn't run just re-arranged the date, so eventually you did manage to do it)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've heard of Zombies run but not tried it. I'll give it a go. I've tried running the route backwards but it doesn't really help

I do the occasional speed session and fartlek but I really struggle with them ...and it makes me more reluctant to go out! Stupid I know but it's definitely a mental battle at the moment.

I have a bike so I'm going to do a few bike sessions this week and see if the change is what I need

I just don't want to lose the gains I've made this year!

I think that doing some bike work would be a benefit, not only to help you regain enthusiasm for your run days, but also to get the cardio and muscular endurance that comes from regular riding. Its a very nice cross training activity for runners.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Absolutely second cross-training. It will help your running AND hopefully give you a change up of activity to help you get more motivated.

Maybe you are just bored with your route ---It sucks that you can't find a different one....are you running in a park on a running trail? Are there forest trails available or road routes that are safe that you could change to?

I am lucky where I live I guess - there's a county park in my town and there are multiple hiking trails, a paved short trail and a paved long trail...and places to run on the road (as long as drivers/runners are paying attention). When we were officially in lockedown and 'getting outside' was encouraged, the park was like the gym in January...but I don't believe where I live we will ever go back to the lockdown....even if it would be best.
  • ToffeeApple71
    Options
    Absolutely second cross-training. It will help your running AND hopefully give you a change up of activity to help you get more motivated.

Maybe you are just bored with your route ---It sucks that you can't find a different one....are you running in a park on a running trail? Are there forest trails available or road routes that are safe that you could change to?

Bike it is then!
    I run around a lake on a grass track. Roads are possible but not good for my knees for any period of time. There are a few hills on my route which I like, but yes, it's beginning to get boring.

• msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying the Peloton app's outdoor running guides, which include a variety of regular runs as well as interval and HIIT runs. This is especially helpful for me because I just follow the instructor's cues and timings for the sprints and faster running. Also, the runs are themed to different types of music (90s hip hop, Broadway, EDM, etc), and it's nice to hear another playlist once in awhile.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I listen to podcasts or books on tape while I run, it keeps my mind busy and really helps on the longer runs.