Step counter not working

Options
My step counter on my phone is working, I managed to connect this app with fitbit and the fitbit app is counting steps, why is it not showing on myfitnesspal? Also there is a block ticked that says "don't track steps, no step data will be stored". I can't untick the block!!!! Help please!

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039592171-How-to-Link-with-Fitbit

Maybe this could help.

I do not use a Fitbit or anything like that - my iPhone does county my steps through the day though, but I do not have it connected to MFP for any reason.

Just curious, why do people who choose to connect them have them connected? Does it help get a better estimate of your daily calorie usage?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Just curious, why do people who choose to connect them have them connected? Does it help get a better estimate of your daily calorie usage?

it's an activity tracker. so.... it will track and log your..activity and sync it to mfp. fitbit has its own app for food tracking, though I don't like it at all. i do like the activity and heart rate / sleep tracking/info.

OP - fitbit and MFP can be finicky and glitchy at times. mine will work perfectly for LONG stretches of time and then all of a sudden get an attitude with me for no reason. For me, I find unsyncing and re-synching the fitbit from mfp (sometimes repeatedly and several days in a row...) will eventually get it to work right. There is a fitbit group that can help you as well here in the community area.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    I cant help you with the box. where are you seeing that? Do you mean 'enable negative adjustments' in the MFP settings? you DO want that box checked as you should be eating back some of your exercise calories. That is how mfp is designed (but thats another topic)
  • luckydog9388
    luckydog9388 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I was finally able to I click the box by doing it on my computer not my phone. But, I'm still not getting any of my steps or activity to show up on MFP :(
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    I was finally able to I click the box by doing it on my computer not my phone. But, I'm still not getting any of my steps or activity to show up on MFP :(

unsync and sync again.

from the computer.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I don't think the steps or activity from a tracker synch over to MFP, just the calorie adjustments if activity is greater than what is set in MFP. I've never seen it actually pull in the number of steps from an activity tracker, but I haven't had one synched in years.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't think the steps or activity from a tracker synch over to MFP, just the calorie adjustments if activity is greater than what is set in MFP. I've never seen it actually pull in the number of steps from an activity tracker, but I haven't had one synched in years.

yeah... i think you're right. the number of steps dont. but you will get an adjustment for calories based on your activity level. you have to look at your actual fitbit device or app to see the number of steps youve taken.

the ACTIVITY though should sync over to your (OPs) diary. I do mine really weird (and totally not the correct way but it works for me so I run with it LOL) but I really really want to say that if the fitbit device is one of the newer ones that can detect the activity type it will import it over to MFP. OP may not be seeing it because of the delay/syncing issue.
  • luckydog9388
    luckydog9388 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit detects it and I actually started and stopped the activity but it never did sync and I didn't see any added numbers for the activity. I guess I could still manually add it though.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    My Fitbit detects it and I actually started and stopped the activity but it never did sync and I didn't see any added numbers for the activity. I guess I could still manually add it though.

There is a fitbit group that may be able to help. as i said, unsyncing and syncing from MFP usually is the first step and generally solves the issue, even if you have to do it multiple times. they may have other ideas though.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • mgtd2248
    mgtd2248 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    l've got the very same problem but with Samsung Health, l've connected the 2 but can't untick the block steps box as it say's can't connect to server, l've used MFP for years and it seems to be an on going problem....very annoying
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge 4 and with it synced to MFP I see the steps as well as the calories burned (calories are definitely inflated, though). On my android phone the steps show up under the Exercise heading at the bottom of the Diary page. I'm not logged in on my laptop so I'm not sure how that works there.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039592171-How-to-Link-with-Fitbit

Maybe this could help.

I do not use a Fitbit or anything like that - my iPhone does county my steps through the day though, but I do not have it connected to MFP for any reason.

Yes it can help people estimate better. Sometimes people have jobs that don't really fit My Fitness Pal's set-up. Let's say someone is a waitress 3 shifts, and works in a more sedentary position the remaining shifts. How much of a difference does that make?