Massive A1C drop three months after diagnosis

Options

Replies

• nannurse
    nannurse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    BEE3FAM wrote: »
    For someone who's been diabetic for 3 years now, I think you're amazing. Great job on a huge accomplishment.
    I on the other hand have been at A1C 11 and my stupid doctor had me on Metformin. Obviously I changed doctors. I am now on Metformin, Jardiance and Trulicity and My new doctor wants me on a fourth med. I can't live like this, and by that I mean I was diagnosed with "maybe 10 years to live" if I take all my meds. That is why I'm here, it's a fight for life at this point. I have a daughter I can't bear to leave so I REFUSE TO GO OUT THAT WAY!
    Thank you for your advice. I'm going to work super hard at beating this like you did!! FIGHTING!!!

How many total carbs are you eating in a day? I had to cut mine down to no more than 20 per day. Took my A1C from 8.7 to 5.7 in 3 months and with NO meds. But with all those meds you're on, you'll need to consult with your doctor to keep your sugars from getting too low.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options
    nannurse wrote: »
    BEE3FAM wrote: »
    For someone who's been diabetic for 3 years now, I think you're amazing. Great job on a huge accomplishment.
    I on the other hand have been at A1C 11 and my stupid doctor had me on Metformin. Obviously I changed doctors. I am now on Metformin, Jardiance and Trulicity and My new doctor wants me on a fourth med. I can't live like this, and by that I mean I was diagnosed with "maybe 10 years to live" if I take all my meds. That is why I'm here, it's a fight for life at this point. I have a daughter I can't bear to leave so I REFUSE TO GO OUT THAT WAY!
    Thank you for your advice. I'm going to work super hard at beating this like you did!! FIGHTING!!!

How many total carbs are you eating in a day? I had to cut mine down to no more than 20 per day. Took my A1C from 8.7 to 5.7 in 3 months and with NO meds. But with all those meds you're on, you'll need to consult with your doctor to keep your sugars from getting too low.

My dietician advised between 100 and 150 carbs. But that’s me. I’m not going keto at this point.
  • Jenpec98
    Jenpec98 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That is amazing progress.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to keep on this path until I reach goal and then maintain. Maybe then my doctors will listen to my other symptoms and actually diagnose whatever is causing my balance disorder too, instead of ignoring me and / or telling me I’m a fat lazy hypochondriac.

Yes. Some of what is fueling my drive right now is rage towards my neurologist, who did exactly that.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    That is so wonderful. It took me too long to take diabetes seriously. This is inspiring
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Impressive drop! Well done😉
  • wolftrucking08
    wolftrucking08 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did it myself 2 1/2 years ago and yeah, is feels great to hear a doc complement you on your hard work. I Dropped almost 90lbs in 3 mos, killed diabetes. Covid shutdowns and school I put on about 40 lbs. 5-7 lbs is muscle, the rest fat but so far My A1c is good. I'm starting another calorie cut and taking my daily cals down to 1500-2000, and hitting the gym. ITS SHOCK AND AWE TIME!!! I plan on being at my pre-covid by the end of August.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    I did it myself 2 1/2 years ago and yeah, is feels great to hear a doc complement you on your hard work. I Dropped almost 90lbs in 3 mos, killed diabetes. Covid shutdowns and school I put on about 40 lbs. 5-7 lbs is muscle, the rest fat but so far My A1c is good. I'm starting another calorie cut and taking my daily cals down to 1500-2000, and hitting the gym. ITS SHOCK AND AWE TIME!!! I plan on being at my pre-covid by the end of August.

90 lbs in 3 months is legendary territory. (Assuming you had dr advice and supervision) congratulations! That’s amazing!

@lorib642 The second best time to take diabetes seriously is right now. Always. So if you missed that first opportunity, no need to beat yourself up about it. Just dig in and do it. :)
    You got this.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    Six and a half months post diabetes diagnosis. And I’ve lost 60 pounds as of this morning.

Almost halfway.
  • tia530
    tia530 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Amazing job, keep it up <3 the same condition here hoping to reverse it within a few months, too.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    tia530 wrote: »
    Amazing job, keep it up <3 the same condition here hoping to reverse it within a few months, too.

Honestly I’d be happy to not need the metformin. I don’t have any adverse reactions to it. But I try not to take any meds I don’t absolutely need.
  • cymande1961
    cymande1961 Posts: 45 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Amazing result! I started at A1C at 6.7 and glucose 138 just 6 months ago, low compared to many who have commented, but when I had my blood work done in June, it had already dropped to A1C 6.4 and blood glucose at 106, at only a 20 pound weight loss! I was thrilled and TBH that, more than anything else, has been what has kept me going. I can't wait until it's 5.7 and a major factor for me is the possibility that I can come off this danged Metformin my doctor put me on as soon as I crossed A1C 6.5 (she's very proactive LOL). Keep inspiring us!
  • Good_One_Wah_
    Good_One_Wah_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my physical and was diagnosed with prediabetes... 5.7... so just edging in. Very sobering still. Nice to see stories like this and hard work pays off. congrats!!!!!
  • msghens
    msghens Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am very happy for you. I am not diabetic but have had family members who were. I wished they had taken your path. Keep up the good work!
  • Peacelily70x7
    Peacelily70x7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Well done, my sister did the same thing, she cut out all the sugary treats, breads and carbs and soda. And walked every day; plus, she went back to work. Her A1C was 5.8 and she was down 30 lbs [40 now].. she had NEVER dieted before so had to learn fast.. as for me, I've got diabetes and started eating carbs again.. not good, but I still have 96 lbs off and am trying to get back on track.. so, good motivational blog! Thank you for sharing it!
  • alblack324
    alblack324 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You've done an awesome job.

I have a similar story. I was prediabetic for years and then, within 3 months of going back into the classroom for concurrent teaching (Most kids on Zoom and a handful in person in the room with me) I gained 15 pounds and knew my numbers were going to be bad. I diagnosed June 18 (A1C at 8.1). My doctor wanted me to start on metfomin right away but I asked to try it with nutrition and exercise. I, too, went back to SP (only to find out about the closure - yes, silenced observed) and in two months dropped 10% of my boday weight. I am exercising 90 mins a day and working to keep carbs as low as possible. 6 weeks inmy doctor ordered fasting lipids and the lab accidentaly ran an A1C (that was ordered for Sept 27) at the same time. I was ticked because it has only been two months, not three, but the doctor was pleased to see that my A1C had already dropped to 6.5 without medication. Unfortunately, in that time the lipids increased so I am now working on that as well.

I am tracking food here but missing the reports & data (especially that chart at the bottom of the nutrition tracker that showed the numbers for the last 7 days.

Thanks for posting. You have given me confirmation I am on the correct path and it can be done!
  • DarlaJL82
    DarlaJL82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! It can be done. June 2020 I had an A1c of 9.5. October 2020 it was 5.8. December 2020 it was 5.2. In the span between June and October, I also reduced my soaring liver values back to normal. Now I'm off all meds, blood pressure and prilosec and still in the mid 5s for A1c per my home tests monthly. I'll get a clinical test next month again. Usually the home one is a couple points higher so I'm confident it'll be good. My doctor was also amazed. They're used to people just accepting the pills. So we surprised them.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    DarlaJL82 wrote: »
    Congratulations!!! It can be done. June 2020 I had an A1c of 9.5. October 2020 it was 5.8. December 2020 it was 5.2. In the span between June and October, I also reduced my soaring liver values back to normal. Now I'm off all meds, blood pressure and prilosec and still in the mid 5s for A1c per my home tests monthly. I'll get a clinical test next month again. Usually the home one is a couple points higher so I'm confident it'll be good. My doctor was also amazed. They're used to people just accepting the pills. So we surprised them.

I didn’t even know home A1C tests existed!

• DarlaJL82
    DarlaJL82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    DarlaJL82 wrote: »

I didn’t even know home A1C tests existed!

Walmart.com is the cheapest I found. The come 20 to a box. I check once a month to not let myself get too far off track before I find out the issue.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!