Teacher Friends- Help, Support Motivation

2»

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    snacker127 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great lunch ideas. I think my biggest worry is keeping up the exercise. I have been training really hard this summer and I'm actually seeing some of the benefits, hate to let that go.

I get up early and do a video before work. After work, I either use the weight room, go for a run outside, or go home and do *something*(could be yoga, a walk with dogs, etc). Don't use work as an excuse to quit your fitness journey. Make room for it in your schedule.
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    mrsrebeccaplude1 Posts: 29 Member
    @snacker127 That is really amazing advice! I don’t have a good track record of sticking to new things, and I want prove to myself that this isn’t a passing phase before spending major $$$ on equipment. I’ve done some yoga workouts before and enjoyed them so maybe I’ll start something small and enjoyable. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • BendableButMendable
    BendableButMendable Posts: 60 Member
    I have only done a small amount of yoga in my life when I was looking for ways to regain my flexibility and started doing a bit here and there with fair success, but I didn't stick with it. I was just looking through my bookmarked sites and I found this playlist of videos, it is a thirty day challenge that I meant to get to but never did. I thought I would post it here in case anyone finds it useful or wants to try the challenge for themselves. I have no idea if it's "good" yoga or not, but it looks easy enough to follow and all the videos are pretty short.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEs9dX8UXFZrz9RxOquZoB6Pl972vYRFw
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,314 Member
    I love cooking show, practical are nice, so when Nadyia Cooks came up on Netflix, I was super excited...practical AND I was pretty sure it would be stuff I eat, as I'm strictly no pork...and they're pretty good...but a lot of sweets...there are two we like a lot: egg wraps and pb & j pancake traybake.

The egg wraps are: egg, olives, sliced mushrooms, shredded cheese, tomato paste and a tortilla. Basically, you spread the paste on the tortilla. then scramble the egg and put it in a hot skillet. Let it cook until just set, add mushrooms, cheese, olives (and maybe a chopped green onion) and press the tortilla, paste side down on top. Cook for a minute or two longer, flip and let the tortilla toast a bit. Remove from pan and roll up. It's quick and pretty yum and you could swap ingredients out. These can be fridges and reheated easily (or, eaten cold, if you're a barbarian like me).

The traybake is more like a coffee cake, just not super sweet. The recipe is on line...

I would second the overnight oats and boiled eggs. You can do steel cut oats overnight in the crockpot, too.

Sometimes I'll make a baked french toast and put it in the fridge for weekday breakfast (it is like a cross between french toast and bread pudding--add some apples & it is a lower calorie dutch baby)...just watch the sugar...
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    @melaniedsharding Thanks for the breakfast ideas - Nadiya is pretty great! I’m especially into cold breakfasts and lunches. We’re having recess in upper 90s heat so cool food is a MUST. 🥵😆
  • tcatcarson2
    tcatcarson2 Posts: 8 Member
    Generous gifts in the staffroom are the enemy! Like nurses, teachers often get thoughtful gifts of biscuits, sweets etc which (in my school, anyway) lie around in the staffroom waiting to get eaten.

My "tactic" is that it's home-baking, that little extra effort has been made and I'll have some. But if it's just bought from the shops I'll leave it!
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Hello!

I've just completed my teacher training and will start my first full time teaching job in September.

My placement was just over an hour away and in between the commute, school, planning and uni work my exercise really suffered. I successfully maintained, but now I want to go back to losing.

My goal in September is to test out what works. I preferred to exercise in the morning when I had an office job and now that it's the holidays, but I am not a morning person so I'd rather not get up earlier than I alresdy have to. I think I will try doing it in the evening, ideally whilst dinner is on. If this doesn't work I'll try in the morning.
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    @TayaCurragh Good luck! I know finding the time can be extremely difficult, especially in your first year of teaching. I hope you’re able to find the best balance of school, workout, and some relaxation!
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    @tcatcarson2 Oh my goodness, I couldn’t agree more! I’m very thankful my classroom isn’t close by the teacher’s lounge- I have to walk all the way across the building, including a flight of stairs. I have to get in a mini workout just to get the snack, so often I just skip both.
  • cgjerde1
    cgjerde1 Posts: 20 Member
    I started back with Noom. My mindset really is my challenge. Working daily on changing it when I am aware of negative/distorted thoughts. Ya and back in the classroom helps....plus I get more stepa in.
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    Oh yes! So many more steps! My mindset really had to change with my portion control. When I first started measuring and realizing how much a portion was I thought I would be starving all of the time. But I quickly realized that I wasn’t starving, I wasn’t even hungry. The difference was that I wasn’t overstuffed which is how I thought satisfied felt. Good luck refocusing your mindset!!
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    First day back for pre-service week. Managed to eat half a blueberry muffin, and not go back for the second half later in the day! I also didn't stand around talking all day, so I actually got some work done. How 'bout that?
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    Hey! Look at you go! I hope you have a great back to school season! I’m 11 days in and going strong!
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    Getting ready to start Week 4 of school and I’ve prepped every meal for the next 2 days. I’m still new to prepping so 2 days is a realistic goal for me. I’m loving the overnight oats, and salad kits for lunches help keep a variety through the week. A couple of snack options are Parmesan chips for salty cravings and the Apple cinnamon mini rice cakes for sweet- and both are crunchy and seriously satisfying without ruining my calories Goal. How’s everyone else doing??
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Today was the first day of school for students, and since I am non classroom based I helped with arrival and dismissal. It was seriously hot and humid out today! So far I have managed to keep up with my exercise/ training and manage to make my lunch and breakfast the night before. Yesterday we grilled a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breasts, so I have plenty for salads, and made steal cut oats for breakfasts.
  • mrsrebeccaplude1
    Ooo It’s September! I seriously need these 90s temperatures to become 60s! I 💛 Autumn! I’m beginning to look for cooler temperature foods. I’m ready to replace my salads with delicious soups and some easy to heat breakfasts. Any ideas to share?

I just saw a “make your own oatmeal packet” on the MFP blog and I’m 1,000% sure that’ll be on my list of options!