how the f. am I staying at the same weight

Options
50yo. 6' 103.5kg.

1500 measured calories + 200 calories from drinks per day.

how the holy moly darn bloody hell am I staying at the same weight for an entire week.
I dropped a 6kg in the first 18 days, then 7 days at the same weight.

My food is easy to calculate calories on - some oatmeal, salad + smoked salmon for lunch, baked beans + canned veg for dinner.

I realized my body might go into starvation mode at some point, but I shouldn't be starving at 1700 calories, and I don't feel I am.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    A week at the same weight is not at all unusual.

6kg in about 18 days is an awful lot to have lost...a lot of that is going to be water.

Stay the course and don't expect the same type of loss you had in that first month. One pound loss per week is what you need to shoot for.

• gregc50
    gregc50 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Give it time and remember, you didn't gain all that weight in 3 weeks
    keep up the good work.
    Lets not go there :wink:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    7mjb494bfm2h.jpg

4lusqfc5giqp.jpg

• gregc50
    Options
    The chart 113lbs to 102 lbs is not comparable to my case. Whats strange is that the last time I did this with 1500 calories per day I lost 20lbs in a perfect straight line, losing 0.15kg every day. Though certainly I didnt lose as much in the first 18 days so anyway we will see how it goes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Weight loss IS NOT linear. You can do the same exact things eating and exercise wise and the results be entirely different than expected.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gregc50
    Options
    As an aside, if you just recently started the regular cycle of smoked salmon, canned baked beans, canned vegetables, you may have unintentionally upped your salt intake, resulting in a bit of water retention, too.

Man, I hope your changing it up a bit, though.

Interesting, I thought baked beans would be my only salt in the diet but it turns out canned peas was almost as much. Gonna swap those out for frozen.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    My food is easy to calculate calories on - some oatmeal, salad + smoked salmon for lunch, baked beans + canned veg for dinner.

Is that really the only food you are eating on an ongoing basis (plus 200 calories in drinks)??

would work from a weight loss point of view (as would any foods if in calorie deficit) but does seem very limited

Just curious.
  • MrsG1994
    MrsG1994 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That is really difficult and there are some really good scientific reasons why this happens. It’ll be ok. Just keep doing it and soon you will be pleasantly surprised one morning on the scale.♥️
  • gregc50
    edited August 2021
    Options

Is that really the only food you are eating on an ongoing basis (plus 200 calories in drinks)??

would work from a weight loss point of view (as would any foods if in calorie deficit) but does seem very limited

Just curious.

I'm sure it will evolve over time but its extremely easy while I'm dieting, I like baked beans. Once I get down to a happy weight I'll have more calories to play with. It pretty much hits all the nutritional needs with a few minor tweaks.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply - sure, no problem, sounds reasonable mix of nutrition and if you are happy with just those foods, continue on.

With, as you said yourself, knowing you can evolve it as you go, if you want to.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    You're doing it and as said it's not linear, my weight has gone up and down over the last 12 months but I stuck with it and the result is I'm 51.4 lbs down over the last year. It can be done even when it seems like it's not working or the numbers creep up a little or don't move some weeks, it's just how it goes. But if you stick with it you will be successful.