Exercise-induced Asthma... anymore else?

Options
Hi All,

I just recently was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma about a month ago. I never realized that I had asthma because I didn't have the "weezing" or common signs of asthma (at least I didn't think so!). Anyways, now I take two puffs of abuterol before a work-out and I can finally exercise and it's great!

Before I used to think I was just so out of shape and couldn't do more than "low-impact" exercises because I was just too fat/out of shape. I wasn't getting anywhere. Now I feel like I can get to my goal weight.

I wanted to share this in case anyone else is feeling the same way I used to. I would encourage you to talk with your doctor to see if this is something that will help!

Replies

• ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    *oops: "Anyone else"
  • babypanda95
    Options
    I had this when I was younger but my mom wouldnt let me use my inhaler becasuse she thought I would become dependent on it. sure enough i used it once in a while and am 100% fine with working out without one. Maybe I grew out of it
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I worry about dependency as well. I hope that eventually I'll get to a point where I wont need the inhaler anymore. I don't know enough about asthma to know the process to know what comes next. Maybe with time my lungs will become stronger? Hopefully?
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Ihave it but don't use an inhaler anymore. I just watch how fast I do things.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had it when I was younger, but it went away over time. Sometimes if it's cold out and I'm very active, I get wheezy, and a hit of Albuterol does the trick.

(FYI, spellcheck's suggestion for Albuterol is "Butterball." :laugh: )
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have asthma. Mine is triggered by the environment, not exercise, but I can tell you how it went for me. I had to use steroids, an inhaler, and another asthma medication for several months at first. Eventually, I was able to stop using them. You will be able to feel when your lungs are getting stronger. Without medical intervention, asthma is normally a condition that worsens over time. Over the past several years I have really only needed my inhaler when pregnant, or sick. You may need to use it before your workouts forever, but you may also strengthen to the point you don't need them more than occasionally. It is better to breathe than to not breathe though!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I still get asthma from time to time (usually when it's cold and when I get sick) but it's been a long time since I've had to use an inhaler.
  • jessie580
    Options
    I have to use my inhaler (albuterol) almost every time I exercise. I was born with asthma and have been on the pills, steroids, all sorts of powder daily inhalers that made me throat hurt.

I am SO dependent on the rescue inhaler - have not been able to find a daily that has actually helped it get better.

:[
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had that when I was younger and was quite dependent on my inhaler. However over time it seems to have lessened to the point where it's no longer an issue and doesn't really effect my working out. I have noticed though that when I go to a high humidity area, it does flare up.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Not officially diagnosed by a doctor, but I'm pretty sure I have it, because I cough and hack whenever I increase my cardio, but I've managed to push through it for the most part. (sometimes just have to drop the intensity down a little bit, still keeping my HR at a decent level). Its worse during the allergy season...which in Michigan, seems to be increasing
  • EA4488
    Options
    So I know a thing or two about asthma since I work with one of the experts on (mostly childhood) asthma. It is great that you have an inhaler now and you will definitely find it will help you breathe better while working out. Albuterol is a beta-agonist which is just a fancy way of saying it dilates your airtubes to make it easier to breathe. You will find, however, that as you lose weight, you should be able to breathe better without the Albuterol. Definitely TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR before taking or ending a treatment regime. DO NOT take Albuterol without a prescription. I know it will be tempting but for safety and to make sure that no other problems are in play, make sure to talk to your doctor.