Protein versus carbs

Options
ohmafonzie
ohmafonzie Posts: 1 Member
Hi all, I am a vegan for ethical and health-related reasons. I have decided to get back to a reasonable weight but am really battling to get enough proteins on a low carb diet. I am now resorting to protein powders but wonder if there are others here who are having the same issues or have hacked it and want to share their insights. My other question: is there a way to filter out vegan recipes in the app?

Replies

• christyc1256
    christyc1256 Posts: 5,049 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I don't know how to filter the recipes. I am vegetarian, I avoid dairy and I don't like eggs so eat pretty close to vegan. After 30 years of vegetarian eating, I have finally decided to work on getting enough protein. I am having a hard time finding enough without carbs. Black soybeans, edemame and tempeh are lower carb but not no carb. I wish you all the best, high protein, low carb is definitely harder as a vegan!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I get most of my protein from legumes and soy products.

New favorite Asian market discovery is dried bean curd skin. It looks like crumpled or rolled paper in the package. It has no flavor to speak of, but picks up whatever liquid it's in. I like to crush it with the back of a knife into almost a powder then add to casseroles, stir fries, noodles and even salad (if it's going to have some time to marinate and absorb some liquid.)

Another common trick I use is to make salad dressing or simmer sauces based on silken tofu, hummus or pureed lentils. A boost of protein and a great creamy texture
  • izzyisa12
    izzyisa12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a pescatarian, but I agree that it's difficult to get the protein one needs w/o meat, cheese, etc. Do you like nuts, seeds, and or avacados? I'll watch your post for suggestions from others. And best on your journey!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi
    I don't know how to filter the recipes. I am vegetarian, I avoid dairy and I don't like eggs so eat pretty close to vegan. After 30 years of vegetarian eating, I have finally decided to work on getting enough protein. I am having a hard time finding enough without carbs. Black soybeans, edemame and tempeh are lower carb but not no carb. I wish you all the best, high protein, low carb is definitely harder as a vegan!

That is so true
    Although I am not a vegan, I eat fish, but sometimes I really don't fancy it - do not eat eggs or tofu either
    Like you I find getting enough protein really hard - so I have returned to drinking cow's milk, premier protein shake and cheese.
    I had to do this because it was affecting my health. I have no eaten meat/chicken since 1989 - also never eaten seafood, just don't like it
    Regarding carbs, it is so hard to be low carb - not a lover of avocados. I found the ones from Mexico makes me nauseous, so I do without
    Those from the Caribbean islands taste a lot better - more sweeter and richer
    Use to eat a lot of legumes, but found over time that they now give me indigestion
  • suzleigh1
    suzleigh1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am on a weight loss journey and found myself really stuck early on because I’m doing a lot of workouts. I read that I needed to up the protein, so I picked Orgain because its dairy free. I fix a protein drink daily with 1 C frozen coconut milk, 2 C spinach/kale mix, 1 T almond butter, 1 T flax/chia mix, medium banana, and collagen. Since starting the protein powder, my weight is going down a healthy 1-2 lb (or so) per week. With the workouts, a healthy eating plan, and the protein drink, I’ve so far gone from pushing out of a size 18 to size 12/14, and XXL shirts to size L.