Insides of ears burning- anybody else get this with certain foods?

Options
For me it's chocolate and that new apple crisp macchiato. I thought it was *just* chocolate until I tried that. PSL doesn't hurt, and there's no common ingredients between chocolate and the apple crisp syrup that give me a lead.

Is it an allergic reaction? Is my body screaming at the processed sugar? It's not life threatening, so I haven't talked to a doctor about it yet.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Perhaps just keep taking note if you experience this with any other foods?

...but, like, I'd still prioritize talking to a healthcare professional about it (ex. GP, allergist, dermatologist, etc)
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it could be an allergic reaction. Talk to an allergist.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Your ears, nose, and throat are connected so it could be an allergic reaction to something you're eating....

It's hard for me to really imagine the feeling you're describing though. Usually an allergic reaction would happen in your mouth/throat...but I'm sure it could manifest in other areas that are close/connected.

You should probably call your doctor (or at least see if there is a nurse practitioner line you could call - some insurance companies provide that so you can call instead of going for a full on doctor's appt--- they may suggest making an appt with an allergist).

IF it is something that you are truly allergic to --- you should avoid eating that thing in the meantime until you consult someone because allergic reactions can become worse and worse after more and more exposures.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Niacin can cause skin flushing but that is the closest I have heard of something like that other than an allergy or autoimmune response
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the possibility of an allergic reaction.
    The eustachian tube connects your ears to the back of your throat. And your inner ear and middle ear are very sensitive.

I would avoid the foods that you react to. At least until you know for sure it isn’t an allergy. Food allergies are potentially dangerous.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    as someone who is allergic to more foods than I would like to admit.

its an allergic reaction.

They can start very mild, like you are describing, and increase exponentially, without warning. Trust me, anaphalaxis is NOT fun.

Please go to an allergist.

Also, do NOT eat these foods again until after you have been tested.