Balancing weight training and cardio---Think I need to do more cardio for fat loss!

Options
nay0m3
nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
Am so pleased with my body overall but have a last bit of fat to make my muscles pop on my thighs and bum! Any one have thoughts on balancing cardio and weight training? I lift 5 days a week and walk the dog casually 1-3 miles per night and usually hike 1 day on the weekend but no consistent cardio. I feel like my nutrition is on point so I am thinking I need to hit cardio more.

I would LOVE to connect with others who are passionate about being their best self!

Replies

• MikeRunsDaily2021
    MikeRunsDaily2021 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I’m always trying to find this balance too. I’m pretty much the opposite (distance runner) trying to add in more strength workouts to lose body fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    nay0meh wrote: »
    Am so pleased with my body overall but have a last bit of fat to make my muscles pop on my thighs and bum! Any one have thoughts on balancing cardio and weight training? I lift 5 days a week and walk the dog casually 1-3 miles per night and usually hike 1 day on the weekend but no consistent cardio. I feel like my nutrition is on point so I am thinking I need to hit cardio more.

I would LOVE to connect with others who are passionate about being their best self!
    What's your training regimen look like?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• nay0m3
    Options
    Hey ninerbuff--I was doing bro splits but just recently changed to total body. I do 5-6 exercises, 4 sets each, 6-12 rep range, depending.

Thoughts on total body versus bro splits or push pull legs or other suggestions?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hey ninerbuff--I was doing bro splits but just recently changed to total body. I do 5-6 exercises, 4 sets each, 6-12 rep range, depending.

Thoughts on total body versus bro splits or push pull legs or other suggestions?
    So you're training total body everyday?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I prefer full body work in that it is very efficient and you hit everything 2-3x per week which is optimal for building and maintaining muscle mass. But you shouldn't be doing total body 5x per week...total body workouts are typically done 2-3x per week which would enable you to easily work in and balance more cardio with your lifting.

Most of my cardio is cycling and I typically ride 3-4x per week and lift 2-3x per week. As cardio goes, three of those rides are fitness/workout rides and the 4th is typically just something fun like going mountain biking or riding to Bike-In-Coffee or something. I lift of Wed and Fri during my lunch hour pretty religiously...Sunday is my other lifting day and it can be more hit or miss, but my goals being where they are currently I am more or less fine as long as I get two solid days in the weight room.
  • nay0m3
    Options
    Total body 5 days per week....

My boyfriend is convinced we should not be lifting less than 5x per week. Everything I read though agrees with you @cwolfman13 which is 3x per week max....

Would you be willing to share what your workouts consist of?
  • cwolfman13
    Options

My boyfriend is convinced we should not be lifting less than 5x per week. Everything I read though agrees with you @cwolfman13 which is 3x per week max....

Total body 5x per week gives zero time for recovery which is actually where the magic happens. Ideally you want to hit each muscle group 2-3x per week whether you're doing a split or total body. The most I've seen with a total body is 4x per week every other day like:

Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun
    Tues, Thurs, Sat, Mon
    Wed, Fri, Sun, Tues, etc...even that is pushing it recovery wise...but I'm also going on 47 and don't recover the way I used to.

5x per week total body and you're really not getting much repair and recovery.

I've seen all manner of total body programs and they can be tailored to more or less volume. Mine is pretty basic and consists of 6 foundational movements of deadlift (or variation), squat (or variation), rows (sometimes BB, sometimes 3 pt, sometimes cable), chest press (I switch between BP and incline), Lat pulls or pull ups, and shoulder press.

I've seen people program their total body workouts such that they do those foundational lifts, but then add extra volume...like one day, more leg stuff to go with their squats and deads and the next more upper body supplemental lifts, etc. This can be good if you're lagging somewhere or you just want more volume to help increase mass.

When it comes to lifting, more is not always better. Hitting each muscle group 2-3x per week is optimal for development and allows for adequate recovery. And like I said, bonus with a total body program is that you can do a good cardio workout on non lifting days. A good, moderate steady state cardio workout between lifting sessions shouldn't impede recovery and will likely help. That said, more high intensity cardio and long duration stuff can. My rides are typically 45-60 minutes moderate pace. When I do more intense interval work, that can impact my lifts the next day, so I usually only do those on...say a Saturday or Sunday when it doesn't look like I'm going to make it to the weight room on Sunday.
  • nay0m3
    Options
    @cwolfman13 LOVE THIS! Ok I will definitely drop to 4 days and hit cardio one day.

I do similar training in terms of what you mention--I always do hex DLs though because I can go MUCH heavier and feel safe. I just feel funky with traditional barbell deads.

I am going on 43 in 2 weeks and don't recover the way I used to either!

Love how much you shared and it feels super informational!

What supplements, if any, do you take?
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    @cwolfman13 LOVE THIS! Ok I will definitely drop to 4 days and hit cardio one day.

I do similar training in terms of what you mention--I always do hex DLs though because I can go MUCH heavier and feel safe. I just feel funky with traditional barbell deads.

The only supplement I use is whey. I eat meat, but I also eat a lot of vegetarian meals and some of the traditional meals in my neck of the woods contain meat, but not in large amounts so I'm often a little low on protein if I don't supplement.
  • suzleigh1
    suzleigh1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Consider a weighted hula hoop. I know… sounds goofy, but it really does give a good cardio workout. I’ve had mine several months and still spend more time picking the thing up off the floor than it spends around my waist. I do 20 minutes, in 5 minutes increments, twice per week. If you do get one, wear knee protection. You’ll find out why. (SKYUV Exercise Weighted Hoop)
  • nay0m3
    Options
    @suzleigh1 That is a really cool idea! I have actually tried hula hooping and I just couldn't get the hang of it unfortunately but I am happy you have found a fun way to keep your body moving!
  • nay0m3
    Options
    As always, @cwolfman13 thank you!!! I have to supplement with protein too as I eat a lot of vegetarian meals just due to preference!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Yes you SHOULDN'T be training 5x per week on the same body parts. They never have a chance to repair and are "inflammed" the whole time. And that state is LIKELY what is keeping your weight up.

I would recommend you only train 2-3 times full body per week. A lot of my clients I train 2 times a week get great results and they don't feel like they have to bust it EVERYDAY to get losses.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cwolfman13
    Options

Like @ninerbuff said, I'd keep it to 2-3x per week with a total body program. I know there is a propensity to feel like there needs to be more, but there really doesn't and more is not always better when weight training. You're likely to make greater gains in the weight room in terms of both strength and muscle as well as better losses on the scale.