Strength work for runners

Options
Best recommend workouts for runners looking to get faster? Feel free to share. Thanks.

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Your typical basic beginner weight training program will work (such as Squats-BP-Rows / DL-LatPD-OHP). My running improved tremendously from the quickly improved strength (faster cadence, less fatigue). Just be mindful of when you are more fatigued post workout so it won't interfere with an important run. (some feel it more later in same day, others not until the next day). And you'll be sore AF for days when first starting (so don't start the same week you have a race).
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    MikeRunsDaily2021 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    @ritzvin Thanks that’s a great starting point. I know I’ve done some work with those but good to get back to compound movements. Thanks.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Also, don't think of lifting JUST in terms of building muscle. Lifting, especially the deadlift, forced me to learn a better mind muscle connection, activating more muscles. That translated into running by distributing the load because I was a very quad dominant runner.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Also, don't think of lifting JUST in terms of building muscle. Lifting, especially the deadlift, forced me to learn a better mind muscle connection, activating more muscles. That translated into running by distributing the load because I was a very quad dominant runner.

Deadlifts are probably my favorite for running improvement. So many runners are relatively weak in their hamstrings, which particularly seems to hamper pace on the uphills.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Your resistance training should include proper load management which will include your running program and any other stressors of your life.

Care to share your resistance training & running history/programming?

Auto regulation is extremely useful here & consider hiring a strength coach for the best bang for your buck. We deal with this on a every day basis.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It might help if you mention some of your background you include on this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10842014/strength-workouts-for-runners-lower-body#latest

Spoiler, OP is a very fast recreational runner looking at improving marathon times. His times are in the top 3-5% o marathon finishers.