Bariatric surgery long term success (gastric bypass)

Hi all, I’m wondering if there are many people on here who have had bariatric surgery? I’m one year post op and I’ve lost 158lbs but I’ve hit a plateau and I’m finding my old habits are starting to creep back. Does anybody have any tips for long term success after bariatric surgery? Feel free to add me on here or on my wls account named in my attached pic.

ukjc71kzulbt.jpeg

Replies

• Latrellis
    Latrellis Posts: 72 Member
    Had several friends who had it. Most important thing is to change your lifestyle, healthy eating and exercise. Some of them are now back at their original weight (or more) because they continued the patterns that caused weight gain. Also, from what I've read, the bariatric surgery does something to your hormones (which makes you not as hungry); after 5 yrs, this wears off. Remember, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn, exercise is good!
  • trishnuk
    trishnuk Posts: 1 Member
    I had a gastric band roughly 3 years ago. I had lost 5 stone when covid hit, managed despite everything to put over a stone and a half back on so back on it. No matter what journey it has to be a lifestyle change. My food habits are kinda ingrained now, but Im a junk food aholic, and found that I could still eat pringles. Think my weight gain is purely pringles.... We got this lovely, back to basics, remember all the dos and donts and just keep on keeping on.
  • sophipattersonx
    sophipattersonx Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to reply. It’s clear to see that the people who change their food and exercise habits have the long term success. I think I’m worrying so much because even though my habits changed in the short term whilst my hunger hormone was disrupted, I know that I’m back on track for failure. Just like every other failed diet in the past. I’m an emotional eater and I feel obsessed with food again. I am eating small portions still but I’m eating very often. Sometimes every hour and my calories are way over for the day. My exercise has even started to slip. I’d be happy to stay the weight I am for the rest of my life but the research suggests that some regain is inevitable so I’d love to lose another 15lbs. I’ve signed up to take part in a charity boxing match so hopefully that will motivate me to eat well and train hard.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!