I'm a C25K dropout.

Options
I'm quitting C25K and I don't feel bad about it. Well, not very much anyways.

I was loving C25K up until week 6. Like a lot of people week 5 day 3 terrified me. And like a lot of people I did it without fail and felt awesome about what I had just done. I made it through week 6 and was bored with the longer runs but I was committed to finish so I did it. Into to week 7 I went. Bored, bored, bored. At this point the only thing keeping me going is my love of conquest.

Over the weekend I examined all the stats I've been tracking with my hrm and CardioTracker. It's bad enough that I'm extremely bored with the longer runs. As it turns out I'm also burning less calories doing them. I like intervals. I like to go as fast as I can. But I didn't want to be a failure in my own mind so I started week 8.

Enough is enough! This is too boring and there is too much information supporting intervals over long runs. Why waste one more day doing something I don't like and lose more of my precious muscle? Just to say I completed the task? Not good enough. I quit!

Now to find a good HIIT routine that I can work with,....

Replies

• jamielr84
    Options
    I think you should do what you like best. Everyone is different and if switching your routine will help you stick to it, then do it! At least you realize that and are going to find something you enjoy to replace it with instead of just quitting.
  • joditenzer
    Options
    I tried it, since 90% of my friends are runners. Halfway through it, I realized I HATE running. I mean, I abhor it. I'm a person who naturally doesn't like exercise. I played soccer 12 yrs, so I like exercise that doesn't feel or look like exercise! Once I realized how much running wasn't for me, I too became a dropout. I much prefer things like zumba...I have fun, and other than getting myself to the gym, once i'm there, I have no problems or boredom. Runnings not for everyone. Hope you find something you love soon!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion...but why don't you just skip to the end and do the 5K run so that you can add it to your list of accomplishments and the program will have served it's purpose. I'm not sure how fast you are running but my heart works in the upper cardio zone on a long run with a pace of 6 mph (about 30 minutes for 5K). It's okay to quit but if you're like me it will bug you that you didn't meet the original challenge.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Are you still interested in running a 5K?*curious* There are other ways to train that C25K, if you're interested. I found a good endurance building workout on Fitness magazine's website. Just type in 5K and it should pull up.

I completely understand your boredom. I'm going to do a 40 minute run this afternoon and I'm already groaning about it!*LOL* I already signed up for a race on October 8th, so I feel obligated to follow this through.

No shame in quitting though, especially if it's not helping you meet your goals.

Shannon
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Trial and error....you have to do what you enjoy!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Start over at week one, but instead of jogging, SPRINT!
    See how far you can go. See how Fast you can get!
  • ActiveFaith10
    ActiveFaith10 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    its true the longer you have been running the less cals you burn, meaning you get to run longer and therefore burn more cals over time and you are getting more fitter. i'd keep with it if i was you, to feel more self accomplished and fitter! congrats on your work so far, grab some earphones, change the scenery and stick with it
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Well you lasted longer then I did. I think it was week 3. I said no more. Then a few weeks later my niece said come do this 5k with me. So i told her im not ready. So i trued it. And it was so much fun. I didn't run the hole thing. But it was so much fun. I ended up signing up for another one. I just got done last week. I even did better then last time. Done for this year. But will do it next year.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Some good suggestions in this thread. BECAUSE RALLY CAR.

I think dropping out to find another type of exercise is a whole lot different than dropping out to sit on the couch with a big spoon and a tub of Nutella. BECAUSE RALLY CAR.

I like the idea of finding a 5K to do anyway - lots of people do them in intervals, many of whom run them faster that way. BECAUSE RALLY CAR.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I never actually wanted to run a 5K, I just wanted to know I was able to. I did run 3 miles in 36 minutes and I'm calling that good enough.

going-planking-650x390.jpg
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    are you just talking to yourself while running or do you have an ipod or something??

music makes all the difference for this C25K, W6D2 conquerer...but hell, i agree with whoever said it - it's not like youre quitting the program to go sit on the couch and eat ... youll figure it out.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    That's funny. Everyone is different. The part that you think of as boring is the part that keeps me coming back. I like when I finally get into a rhythm so my mind can zone out and I can really...be. It's almost meditative.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    but hell, i agree with whoever said it - it's not like youre quitting the program to go sit on the couch and eat ... youll figure it out.
    Umm.. I said that. And it wasn't just sit on the couch and eat. It was sit on the couch and eat Nutella.
    nutella-450.jpg
    BECAUSE RALLY CAR
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    nutella-450.jpg
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was 39 minutes. And this last time was 35 minutes. I was so excited about that....