Freezer Friendly Apple Recipes?

Options
MsCzar
MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
edited August 2021 in Recipes
My apple tree is dropping yummy apples daily. I try to stay ahead of the critters and collect the apples several times each day. They aren't particularly large or pretty; but there are lots of them.

For portion and calorie control, I am looking for yummy apple recipes that freeze well in single portions. Brown Betty springs to mind. Maybe some sort of muffins? I'd like to hold down the calories if possible. Ideas?

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,800 Member
    Options
    Have you got a dehydrator?

Because dehydrated apples from last fall have lasted us up until last month in our morning oatmeal.
  • MsCzar
    Options
    No dehydrator, but I'll keep an eye out for one in my travels.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,800 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    No dehydrator, but I'll keep an eye out for one in my travels.

Smaller ones come up at garage sales frequently. But if you have the room, the best ones are big. Cabella’s has good ones.

The NesCo round one is good to pick up at garage sales because even if it doesn’t work, the trays stack nicely up to about ten. So you can use them.

You can use your oven if it has a “warm” setting, but test it first. You don’t want a big batch of overdone apple chips.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,698 Member
    Options
    Does apple sauce freeze well?
  • MsCzar
    edited August 2021
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »

Not sure. I think it might separate from its water. But I've been thinking of maybe making a healthy version of apple pie filling with just enough butter fat to bind through the freezing process.

I've been enjoying apple crisp warm from the oven for breakfast every day this week. Topped with homemade yogurt, it's heaven in a bowl!

As for the dehydrator - my old skool gas oven stays at 95°F/35°C and I use it to make yogurt and dry bread for bread crumbs.
    Hmmm...
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I make morning glory muffins and freeze them. They are great for breakfast with Greek yogurt and contain a lot of shredded apples and other things. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/morning-glory-muffins-recipe
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options

Yes. I always make up a big batch this time of year and freeze it in pre-measured portions for muffins.

Our local U-Brew takes your apples and turns them into cider. To me, that's the best possible use for apples 🙂
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    If you're not inspired at the moment, quarter, core, and blanch and then spread on a cookie sheet to freeze. Once frozen, move to a freezer bad, and you've got apple pieces ready to go for smoothies or oatmeal or recipes when you get inspired.

Notice I didn't say "peel." I find small homegrown or heirloom orchard apples don't really need peeling (except to remove bruised spots or bits some courteous insect taste-tested)
  • miteyme
    miteyme Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »

Not sure. I think it might separate from its water. But I've been thinking of maybe making a healthy version of apple pie filling with just enough butter fat to bind through the freezing process.

I've been enjoying apple crisp warm from the oven for breakfast every day this week. Topped with homemade yogurt, it's heaven in a bowl!

As for the dehydrator - my old skool gas oven stays at 95°F/35°C and I use it to make yogurt and dry bread for bread crumbs.
    Hmmm...