Starting my weightloss journey!

Options
I’m 23.. and I’m currently starting my 140 pound weightloss goal. If anyone has any tips, healthy recipes, workouts they know of feel free to reach out :) I’m kinda overwhelmed and scared to start this journey but I know in the end it will all be worth it. I’m looking forward to making new friends and connecting with people who relate.

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    You've set a big goal for yourself so no doubt it's scary. Rest assured you will stumble along the way - EVERYONE makes mistakes and experiences setbacks! But that's 100% OK; when it happens just pick yourself up & get back on track. You got this!
  • carlylynn0756
    carlylynn0756 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I appreciate the support and advice you’ve given me 🙂 I’ve definitely stumbled along the way during this journey.. I’ve lost weight numerous times, but then gained it back plus some. I’m really pushing myself this time to accomplish my overall goal.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    You are very welcome. If you're new to MFP, you will find a ton of people here who are happy to give advice, encouragement, or just a listening ear if you need to vent.

Pushing yourself is great, but be careful not to push TOO hard - make sure what you're doing is safe & sustainable so you can set yourself up for long term success. Sometimes that's slower, but remember what's worth doing is worth doing right :smile:
  • carlylynn0756
    carlylynn0756 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you again for the advice 🙂 It definitely motivates me to hear such positive words from different people. I’m looking forward to connecting with people that will be a good system of support while I’m working to achieve my goals.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    Little goals.

If you have an iPhone I recommend the app Happy Scale. It breaks the journey down into little goals for you.

But it definitely helps to think of this ten pounds at a time.

That, and remember: This is a marathon. You can do it. There will be bumps in the road, but do not quit. Hang on. No matter what.

That’s how you get to the goal.
    Ten pounds at a time, and don’t quit.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    I would suggest following these boards.

You will find so many people willing to share their experience and knowledge that it will help make the tsunami of weight loss information turn into a fishing bobbin in a pond.

I attribute my own weight loss to counting & weighing, having a reliable and easy to use fitness tracker, and to reading these boards every single day.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    What is your your goal image body type? Each different typ of weight training builds your muscles, but also gives and doesn't optimize your appearance.
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @carlylynn0756 Quit thinking you are on a diet. You are not ON a diet. You are on a mission to change your relationship with food, drink, exercise, and healthy living. Don't think that will-power alone will keep you going. You have to develop good HABITS: tracking your meals, drinking your water, moving 20-30 minutes EVERY DAY. And why do you need to do that? BECAUSE YOU ARE WORTH THE EFFORT. There are no shortcuts. But a year from now you can either be a healthier version of you, or you can quit and be as you are or fatter.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, I don't mean it that way. But sweetie, you are 23. I am 63 and I have spent most of my life off and on diets, looking for tips and tricks to make it all disappear, and giving up when it got hard. So now I am where you are now, needing to lose 130-140 pounds, but I don't have your youthful skin, your young and forgiving metabolism, your strength, your energy. But I have habits, good ones, that I am working hard to make permanent in my life, for the rest of my life. You do that. Make this for LIFE, for YOUR life.

<3