Serving size

Options
Hi when it says 1 piece or 1 slice how big is a slice or piece or serving. In grams etc. For example quiche it says 1 piece how big is that or a slice

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi when it says 1 piece or 1 slice how big is a slice or piece or serving. In grams etc. For example quiche it says 1 piece how big is that or a slice

You'll need to refer to the packet of the particular thing you're eating, or create a recipe using the recipe builder and work out how much you eat.
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    If you mean on a package or in a recipe:
    Look at how many servings are listed in the dish as a whole (or the whole package). Then separate out that many equal portions/slices. That is one portion/slice.

If you mean something listed in MFP:
    There is no way to know that because random people put in random info. Try to find a listing for the same thing, listed with a better measurement.
  • markchoppersmith
    markchoppersmith Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about what it says on package I'm talking about a home made quiche in mfp app it says a piece or a serving so what is that how big how many grams please
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,112 Member
    Options
    Don't use those entries, you have no idea if their recipe is like yours, on top of not knowing what serving sizes they used. If you're making a dish yourself, use the recipe builder. Or if you didn't make the dish yourself, look around to find an entry that has more precise serving sizes at least, for example per 100gr.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about what it says on package I'm talking about a home made quiche in mfp app it says a piece or a serving so what is that how big how many grams please

The only person who (may) know is the person who created it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

there is no way of knowing. absolutely none. you should not use those entries.

if you make your own quiche, use the recipe builder. This is the only way to get the most accurate calorie count.

There are a few different ways to do this. Some get the finished weight after cooking and subtract the weight of the dish. I find that a pain. But none are wrong. This is how I do it, and it is quite effective and works for every single recipe (literally hundreds) over the years. From cakes and breads to soups and chili and casseroles.

How to use the recipe builder for large batch recipes:

Weigh out each individual ingredient in your recipe in grams. The easiest way to do this (in a recipe where everything is combined, like a quiche or a casserole) is to add it to a bowl and tare, or zero out the food scale in between each ingredient. This way you are not getting a dozen bowls dirty. Write down each weight. Then total it up when you are done adding ALL of your ingredients. For items with 0 calories, such as water, you do not need to add them (at least I dont). For liquid items, such as milk, Measure out the liquid amount per the recipe (such as 1 cup) while the bowl is on the scale, and write down the number of grams that the amount is (example: 1 cup of whole milk is approximately 240 grams)

now, total up how many grams total your recipe is and cook it. each gram will be a serving size. so you will have really large serving sizes of items, because it is in grams.

One thing to be very careful of, is when you are entering the items in MFP, watch the accuracy of the items in the database that come up. I almost always have to replace items that pop up with accurate ones and sometimes it takes some searching to find a correct one.

Your finished recipe builder recipe will look something like this (amounts made up just for simplicity)

eggs 100 gram
    cheese 50 gram
    onion 20 gram
    mushroom 20 gram
    spinach 10 gram
    milk 240 gram

servings per recipe = 440 (because the recipe equals 440 grams)

your number of servings will equal how many grams you put on your plate. MFP will do the math for the calorie count. It might only tell you '1' or '2' for the calorie per serving. Don't worry about it. Behind the scenes, so to speak, the decimal point will be where it needs to be for the math and it will all be correct when you put in your 'gram' serving size. This is more accurate than guessing how many actual servings are in the dish (ie: 4, 6, 8, etc)

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options

You need to enter your own recipe in the recipe builder as you have no idea what someone else puts in their homemade food. A fair amount of work at the beginning, but once it is entered would be there for you always.
  • markchoppersmith
    markchoppersmith Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys