When is the best time to exercise????

Options
I get home quite late, is it better to eat tea and then exercise or exercise then eat tea??
I'm exercising first then eating, but i always feel guilty about working out then eating.
Or is it better to do it in the morning???

Replies

• jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out in the morning because thats when I have the most energy and am most motivated.. it gets harder as the day goes on lol! But, I would say workout first.. Only because after I workout I am always hungry! Even if I ate right before I worked out.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    You need to re-fuel your body after exercise (In fact it's essential) so no reason to feel guility for eating after your workouts. In fact injesting about 30g carb with 15g Protein immediatly after your training will but the brakes on muscle protein breakdown, reversing it towards protein synthesis you you recover more efficiently and get stronger.

"When" in respect to time of day, is whatever fits your schedule that you can be consistant at.
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    this was just on a repeat(i believe it was) Dr Oz show. you should: wake up, pee/2, weigh yourself, exercise THEN eat. because then your body is burning calories already in the body, not what you just ate. even though i don't get up early enough for that NOW, that is the plan for the future sometime at least.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    IMO working out in the morning is best, cause your body burns more calories through the day, as opposed to going to sleep after a workout.

I have also read in health mags that the best time to eat is within an hour after working out, as you eat what you need and not too much. If you don't within the hour, apparently your body gets very hungry and there is a tendency to over eat instead...

SO i would say always eat something after a workout...
  • afkittie1218
    Options
    I agree with jazzy. I also do my workout in the morning about an hour after my coffee and before lunch. There was one day where I did it in the evening and I have no energy to do it but I pushed through.
  • ooBrittoo
    Options
    It's been said that the best time to exercise is between 6 and 8pm. That is when your joints are most lubricated and ready for any type of impact they may encounter during exercise.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out in the mornings because it gives me the energy to get going for the day but also rest/sleep easier at night. To each their own and especially when people have different lifestyles.
  • Broken_
    Broken_ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I shoot for Good workout in the morning, then a light workout at night.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on you and how your body reacts. Most people will tell you the morning is best but I honestly think that's just one of those random factoids that people latch onto. I haven't tested it in a while but a few years back, I tried going to the gym before work and my heart rate just would not get up there. It was like my body was refusing to respond. But if I waited even a few hours, I would get a much better result.

So, do what works for you. And definitely don't stress about eating after, especially if you have that good protein/carb balance mentioned higher up in this thread.
  • aparks1
    Options
    You are supposed to eat after you exercise because your metabolism is working at a higher speed and breaking down the food faster. So they tell me! :)
  • angvdh
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback guys!!
    At the moment I've been doing it at night, but i may try and change routines for mornings and see how that goes.
    The hardest part is getting out of bed! But i think once I'm use to it it would be fine. Just means a very early morning arrrgh!
    Glad that its better to eat after!