Losing weight at 135 lb.

Options
Ok, long story short, I was 120 about a year ago and I've gained 15 lbs, which I know is not a big deal compared to how much weight people can gain over years...but anyway. I would be much happier losing that 15lbs.

The problem is, I never changed my diet in the last year and had a very active job as a teacher assistant.

I feel like every time I changed my birth control, I gained 5 lbs. I need to be on the BC for medical reasons, so going off of it is not an option.

The last month or so I've been really hitting the gym hard with 45 minute sessions of cardio (at least 3 x a week) and strength training. However I've only seen a deficit in 1 lb. Also I'm retaining water like crazy, my jeans are tighter than ever.

Not seeing much progress is really beginning to discourage me.

Replies

• julesisthebest9
    Options
    I have been using this site since about March of this year and I had the same problem. I weigh about 140 and ideally would like to be about 130 so I figured it shouldn't be hard to lose. I did the 1200 calorie/day plan and the exercise 3 times a week for 6 weeks and I dropped exactly 1 pound!! Have you tried talking to your doctor about it? I am going in to get my thyroid checked to see if maybe it has something to do with that. Keep on trying though. I am! Don't give up! :)
  • camille97
    Options
    I weighed 135 and went down to 125 in about 2 months, so it is definitely possible to lose it. Drink lots of water, eat more fruits and veggies, basically change your diet because that is 75% of the weight loss effort.
  • jordynsmomma
    Options
    Are you eating a lot of salty foods?

Salt retains water..I tend to stay away from things that are high in sodium.

Just a thought!

Good Luck!
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging consistently? Try measuring your food for 2 or 3 days and log consistently for a week (weekends too). If you don't see any suprises then the next step and really double checking your accuracy and possibly getting a blood test to see if there is an issue that could be causing a metabolic issue.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am here listening...
    I was almost the same as you. Didn't change much in diet or the way to eat but the weight simply creeped up throughout the years, little by little until someday I just realized I was whole lot smaller 5 years ago.

Counting calories really gave me a very positive start. You might want to try that and then add back the exercise routine.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    You have to have PLENTY of patience but be very consistant with your workouts. try to incorporate yoga in your routine at least 2/3X week you will get toned and lean but it will take alittle longer. good luck!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    BC does have a tendency to make people gain weight -- but it doesn't have to. Have you tried talking to your doctor about it? I'm sure you aren't the only one with this complaint. If you are eating well and exercising, there may not be anything you can do but accept the additional weight. Were you underweight at 120 and is 135 a healthier weight for your body?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    are you on oral birth control? If so, have you considered a local method like Mirena? I didn't have any weight gain on Mirena
  • rina300
    Options
    I found that drinking tons and TONS of water was the only way to relieve the water retention for me, since it flushes everything out of your body. That and also watching my sodium intake made a HUGE difference! Checking my sodium levels while logging my daily meals and snacks on this site helps monitor how much sodium I had that day compared to how tight my jeans fit due to the retention. Hope these tips help! Good luck!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Something very similar happened to me last year. Last March'ish I started to gain and by December I was up almost 10lbs. I started to work out more and I thought I was watching what I ate, but I still maintained or even gained. So in April I tried this site and it is slow, very slow, but the weight is coming off. At your weight (I'm assuming is still in the normal range) you need to focus on .5lbs or maybe 1lb per week - but that would be the max. Basically your body is pretty happy where its at, so its going to be more difficult to lose. Not to mention you are now working out so you will gain muscle and definition, but the scale may not move much.
    I've hit another plateau so I'm trying (VERY HARD) to reduce my carb intake and increase my water. For you I'd suggest the same. You also mention water weight - reduce your sodium to 1000 per day if possible (although MFP allows 2500). Don't get discouraged, it will start to come off. Good Luck.
  • aliciaryoung
    aliciaryoung Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's good to hear! I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible. I probably eat less raw food than I should, although I'm now student teaching and have limited money so eating out often is not an option.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I feel like every time I changed my birth control, I gained 5 lbs. I need to be on the BC for medical reasons, so going off of it is not an option.

I can't help you and have no words of advice other than talk to your doctor about this concern. This is the exact reason I came off of BC 15 years ago, every time I switched I gained 5 pounds or more, when I got off of it I lost 15 pounds in a month.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i started just a little heavier than you (143) and ended (before prego) a little heavier too (127ish), but i kinda know what you are going through because i just had a stuborn 15 to lose! don't give up...when you don't have as much to lose, it can take longer to see a difference...are you drinking enough water? i found that once i upped my water intake to 10-16 glasses a day the water weight/bloating was not as much of a problem...also how many calories are you eating daily? are you eating your exercise calories...if not, try eating 1/2 of your exercise calories daily so that your net calories is at least 1200 per day...mix up your routine as well with both strength and cardio...best of luck!!! :)
  • aliciaryoung
    Options
    I've always been really small, when I was a kid I was bordering on scrawny. Then I gained weight in college after being ON birth control, although I've never been heavier than 140.

As soon as I dropped the BC I lost 20 lbs and was back to 120. Then I had an emergency freak thing happen to me and I actually lost an ovary to ovarian cysts, so this is why my doctor wants me on the BC, to prevents cysts from occurring. I've been on all sorts of pills, but they made me very emotional, and now I'm on the Nuva Ring, which emotionally, I feel normal on, but I'm finding it hard to drop weight, even if it's just water weight.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    BC tends to give you fluid retention, maybe increase your water and watch the sodium even more then see what happens
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water and watching your salt levels? If not, then thats where part of your problem lies.

Also, doing weights also makes you retain water while your muscles are repairing.. again drink more water! It will make a huge difference!

Another tip, eat.. a lot! You only have 15 pounds to lose, so it's going to come off pretty slow.. hate to tell you. Lean meat, veggies and fruit are going to be your best friends right now, along with the water.

I'm a teachers aid sub, so I understand the job and lifestyle. You can do it... it just takes time!
  • aliciaryoung
    Options
    Thanks! That seems to be the answer I'm getting, is more water! I'm trying to drink 67 oz a day, but maybe I should go with more than that? I don't want to flush out too many nutrients. I also was taking a green tea supplement that I might try again, but I hadn't seen any progress on it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That seems to be the answer I'm getting, is more water! I'm trying to drink 67 oz a day, but maybe I should go with more than that? I don't want to flush out too many nutrients. I also was taking a green tea supplement that I might try again, but I hadn't seen any progress on it.

Eh, I'd stay away from any supplement or diet pill.. honestly most of them are junk! Try a good multi-vitamen instead.

Your drinking a little more then 8 cups.. but maybe your body needs more. Play around and see what happens.. you can always drink less if needed.

If your diet is balanced, I wouldn't worry about flushing out too many nutrients.. you'll mainly be flushing out sodium.

Last note, I'm on B/C and have managed to lose 25 pounds.. it just took forever and a day! I started in January and reached the 25 pound mark last month.
  • Dander
    Options
    Which BC are you on? See if you can get Yasmin...it's a diuretic as well. I shed lots of water and was really skinny when I was taking that. It's not for everyone though but worth a go.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I totally get ya. I was 135 (but recently gained 5 pounds :(....) but want to be down at 120 but I'm having a seriously horrible time doing it. It's so much harder at this weight and trying to lose so little.