Please explain no added sugar to me?

Options
Can you loose weight on a no added sugar diet only. Ie still eating occasional crisps, etc. Or do you need to combine it with CICO? Wanting to loose around 8kg. Also with no added sugar, when reading labels what gm/per 100gm or % do you keep under.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    You need to combine it with CICO, that is, you need to consume fewer calories than you use. If you simply replace foods with added sugars with other foods that have equal or more calories, it won't help you lose weight.

I don't worry about added sugar, and I lost weight just fine.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,757 Member
    Options
    Removing added sugar from your diet may lead you to more filling (for the calories) choices and indirectly lead you to consuming fewer calories.

OR it may not do so, depending on how often and how much added sugar you used to consume and how you replace it.

Your body's energy reserves (mostly stored in the form of fat) will vary in the long term based on your long term caloric balance. The caloric balance is often denoted by CI-CO (calories in vs calories out). However CI-CO is not a diet and calorie counting is just one of the methods that people can use to moderate their calories and achieve the caloric balance that they seek.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    CICO is a myth. I.E. Water/Fiber. All those calories will still be delayed in your system if you're not drinking enough water, or even consuming enough fiber, etc.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,029 Member
    Options
    CICO is a myth. I.E. Water/Fiber. All those calories will still be delayed in your system if you're not drinking enough water, or even consuming enough fiber, etc.

That would be an arguement supporting weight loss is not linear - there are variations like drinking water, fibre etc that mean different amounts of unabsorbed food is in your GI system at different times

I dont think anyone is disputing that.

It doesnt negate CICO being real over time.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

So what you’re saying then is that those hundred pounds I shed were really just a bad case of constipation?

you were constipated. I imagined it.

i mean, we have some serious issues, spring .... :D
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Avoiding added sugar will help those with yeast issues. Repeated cystitis.

1calorie is the amount of something required to heat a given amount of water 1 degree! It says nothing of the nutrition a living being might have used from that same one calorie within the body, vit c, b 12 or iodine? How does knowing how much water can be heated one degree by say 1200 calories really help my understanding, or not, of what I eat?

I've probably spent too much time with under 4 year olds!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Evidence for this by a journal of medicine, nutrition, endocrinology, etc. or are you just spouting off something you heard? Link your source.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,029 Member
    Options
    Does it really need a source? - seems common sense obvious to me - food in your GI system at any given time will be affected by how much water you drink/ fibre you eat therefore this will mean CICO is not a simple linear equation in real life.

What is often put on the forums as water weight means weight loss is not linear.

This doesnt negate CICO or mean it is a myth of course - just means IRL daily variations affect our total weight

Something nobody was disputing so not sure what point poster was making. :*
  • autobahn66
    autobahn66 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Avoiding added sugar will help those with yeast issues. Repeated cystitis.

1calorie is the amount of something required to heat a given amount of water 1 degree! It says nothing of the nutrition a living being might have used from that same one calorie within the body, vit c, b 12 or iodine? How does knowing how much water can be heated one degree by say 1200 calories really help my understanding, or not, of what I eat?

I've probably spent too much time with under 4 year olds!

I love this take: there's a fundamental truth to it.

How DO you know what the body is going to do with 1 kcal of sugar, or fat or protein? Is what your body does and my body does with that calorie different? How many of those calories are needed to keep me alive, vs feel good, vs maintain muscle mass, vs add fat?

Except none of that matters: because I don't think we have a better way of measuring the amount of energy in what we eat other than by saying: "I guess I need exactly enough chemical energy to heat 1600ml of water by 1 degree to maintain my weight."

And as AnnPT said: there's a lot of estimation, more than is realised up front. But, outside an advanced lab and technical measurements, the only way to measurably know is to set that calorie goal and activity level and see how things change over the course of a month or two.

Or one could just wing it and eat a bit less: see how things go? But that is throwing the baby out with the bathwater: just because there is some guesswork, doesn't mean it's all guesswork, and individual variability can be accounted for over time by monitoring progress.
  • The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Added sugar means you are buying (or eating) processed food. Added sugars include sucrose, dextrose, table sugar, syrups, honey, and sugars from concentrated fruit or vegetable juices.

If you are healthy, you should not have a problem with added sugar. I am not healthy (but prefer to live as I would be) so I watch out for added sugar because I react to it. (I have RA and Celiac Disease and live meds free and almost pain-free.) Sugar in any form or way hurts me -literally.

I agree with CICO. I lost 156 pounds -half of my start weight- in three years. I overate, that's how I got fat. It was that simple.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Can you loose weight on a no added sugar diet only. Ie still eating occasional crisps, etc. Or do you need to combine it with CICO? Wanting to loose around 8kg. Also with no added sugar, when reading labels what gm/per 100gm or % do you keep under.

Like others have said, CICO is what determines whether you will lose weight. You might find that you are eating in a deficit if you cut out added sugar, but many people probably wouldn't find just that to be enough (I have gained weight at times in my life when eating very little added sugar, bc I mostly don't have a huge sweet tooth).

If I were doing no added sugar, I would interpret that to mean none, period. If I were doing something else, like staying under 5% of total cals from added sugar most days, I'd call it that. There's no need to watch added sugar, but I think it is useful for some to see how much is in the foods they eat and if there is anything surprising about the amount. I didn't find much added sugar in anything I ate that was surprising, but I am very much in favor of reading labels and understanding what you are eating.