Just bought my first Spaghetti Squash...Help needed!

Options
kmcrey87
kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
Hello Everyone,

I was finally able to find a spaghetti squash! I have never cooked one before, and I have looked at several different sites for instructions....BUT I would like to hear from you guys! What is your favorite way to cook/serve it?!

Thanks!

Replies

• mamasaysmoo
    Options
    AllRecipies.com has a good one - Spaghetti Squash I, creatively enough. I completely spaced adding the basil, and we still thought it was delicious. Enjoy!
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    AllRecipies.com has a good one - Spaghetti Squash I, creatively enough. I completely spaced adding the basil, and we still thought it was delicious. Enjoy!

Thank you! I will check it out. :)
  • tlzidon
    tlzidon Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of recipes out there on allrecipes.com or food.com.

Growing up, my mom usually just baked it and we would put butter on it. But it is good with any sauce you would use on pasta.
  • kitkatkait
    kitkatkait Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I usually just microwave it for like 12 minutes (after poking it with a knife a lot -- I've had one explode once. it looked super cool, but was kind of dangerous....and a huge mess). Then I put tomato sauce over it. It's actually really yummy. It would probably be great in a stir fry too.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    We cut ours in half and bake on a jelly roll pan for 30 minues @ 350* Once that is done take a fork and scrap out the strands.
    While it is baking we cook spagetti sauce and veggies.

Easy Spagetti without all the carbs and a side dish of veggies. (we usually do zucchini or broccoli)
    And sometimes we throw in whole grain rolls as a side.

Veddy yummy :)
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash with Chicken, Mushrooms and Spinach

Up your intake of veggies with this prize-winning spaghetti squash dish. "This recipe is a variation of a go-to pasta recipe I make often.

YIELD: 6 Servings
    COURSE: Main Dishes
    Ingredients

1 (3.5-pound) spaghetti squash
    1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
    2 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
    1 pound chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
    1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Poblano pepper
    8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
    1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1/4 cup cup julienne sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
    1 1/4 cup cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    6 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
    1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
    Preparation

1. Preheat broiler.

Cut poblano in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 5 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and chop.

3. Reduce oven temperature to 400 °.

4. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash halves cut side down in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Add water to measure 1/2-inch deep. Bake at 400 ° for 45 minutes. Turn squash over; bake an additional 15 minutes or until tender; cool. Scrape inside of squash with a fork to remove strands to measure 6 cups. Keep warm.

5. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Cool and crumble. Increase heat to medium-high; sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to drippings in pan and cook 4 minutes; remove from pan.

6. Heat remaining 11/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan and cook 3 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, reserved bacon, Poblano, garlic and Italian seasoning to pan; cook 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and cook 4 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add wine to pan and cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Add reserved chicken, chicken broth, tomatoes, and spinach to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly; stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Place about 1 cup squash on each of 6 plates; top each serving with about 1 cup chicken mixture and 2 teaspoons remaining cheese.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 296
    Saturated fat: 3.2g
    Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
    Fat: 9.3g
    Protein: 31.2g
    Calcium: 241mg
    Sodium: 707mg
    Iron: 3mg
    Cholesterol: 67mg
    Fiber: 2.4g
    Carbohydrate: 23.8g
  • desifink
    desifink Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Recipes are easy...cooking the darned thing is hard. :) I do the microwave thing kitkatkait mentioned, or cut it in half raw (you need a super sharp knife - it's hard!), scrape the gunk out, cut into smaller chunks, and steam on the stove.

Here's my favorite way to eat it: While cooking the squash, cook a chopped sweet onion on the stove top until just about caramelized. Toss the cooked strands of squash with the onion, a dash of olive oil, some shredded Parmesan cheese, and maybe black olives if you have them on hand. Season with salt & pepper. Put under the broiler until the cheese is melty. Yum.
  • TheGidget
    Options
    -cut it in half
    -poke some holes in it
    -put the halves upside down on a cookie sheet
    -I put the oven on at about 300 degrees and bake for 30 minutes or until the squash browns on the outside a bit
    -score the inside with a fork, you can either eat it out of the skin or in a bowl.
    -then I top it with tomato sauce and a little bit of cheese :)
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    just made one last night. i love it! i have to cook mine longer than others have suggested. cut in half, scooped out, cutside down on 375 for 45 min. sometimes pop it up to 425 last ten min. i like it just plain with salt pepper and some i can't believe its not butter spray.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    - Cut in half & Scrape out the seeds
    - Lay it cut open side down on a baking sheet sprayed with pam. (I season mine with some basil/oregano)
    - Cook in oven for 60 minutes (sometimes 70) at 350 degrees.
    - scrape it out with a fork when it is done and add your favorite pasta sauce/toppings!
  • tristahenry
    Options
    We cut ours in half and bake on a jelly roll pan for 30 minues @ 350* Once that is done take a fork and scrap out the strands.

This, then when it's done I mix it with parmesan cheese, fresh basil and one egg. I mold a handfull of it at a time until it looks like a potato cake and brown it on both sides. Super yum!
  • k8wilson
    k8wilson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest you bake it rather than microwave it, but any way you dress it, its delicious!