Buying new clothes?

Options
What strategies have you used when buying clothes while you are losing weight? My thought is that dresses and skirts will last me longer and I might be able to take them in a little as I shrink. Has anyone planned their losing wardrobe? What worked for you? Any ideas? I have to keep a professional look at work, so I can't let things get too big on me.

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I already lost weight and then unfortunately gained it back. So I've got a closet full of clothes ready to go. In fact, I fit into most of them already. If I get to goal, I'll need all new clothes. But that's gonna be hella fun!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mommy so yoga pants and t-shirts it is :) With winter coming up consider dresses or big belted shirts and leggings :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It is going to take me a few new wardrobes on my way to goal. I do have some smaller clothes left, but I haven't worn them in so many years that I don't want to wear them for any other reason than I want them to fit me!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    For me, the best thing has been thrift stores! It is cheap and you can just redonate when they get too big. Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I try to pick up a few key pieces on sale rails or in charity shops. I also try to keep to a colour scheme, based on things like scarves, bags, belts etc that i already have.

My biggest problem was understanding my new shape, and working out what STYLE I should aim for!
  • kdchick99
    kdchick99 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly buying items, but I have been buying them a little tight, so as I lose it won't be as bad. I also check how the clothes are made to see if my mom can take them in for me as I lose. The skirt/dress idea is great especially with winter coming you can wear nice legging or tights under them to keep them looking professional.

I love sweater, so all my sweater from last year are getting lose, but don't look bad yet. I hope they will take me through the winter months.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Thanks!
  • shgarcia74
    shgarcia74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been scouring the clearance racks plus coupons at Old Navy. Luckily alot of my shirts have some stretch in them so i've been able to get away with some shirts for a while. But after 20lbs you really do need to add a few staples. I agree with buying leggings or pants with some stretch. It wont' be as noticable. I sacrificed all summer and didn't buy too many items. Now that fall and winter are around the corner, I'm saving up for a new wardrobe. Only this time, I'm being realistic as I cleaned out my closet and got rid of all the XL and L's. Did I really need 20 blazers and 10 coats? Now I have 2-3 key pieces that can get me through before I need to purchase a winter coat. Good luck and congrats on your weight loss!
  • cshelgol1
    cshelgol1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Take it from me buy only neccesities. I bought 5 different sizes during my weight loss only to settle in to the last outfits I bought. Tops and a pair of dress slacks, skirt, are more than enough. Rotate tops to keep ur temporary clothing fashionable and crisp. Shoes, and accessories will create a nice look to ur temporary samsies. The more sizes you have in your closet the more room you have to let your weight flunctutate. I refuse to buy more clothing because I have gained weight, If I cant fit them that means lose the weight.I love clothes so that keeps me on my toes. Let a new wardrobe be a reward for reaching your weight loss goal. Good Luck and take notice to the use of "TEMPORARY"
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I've been hitting the sale racks. I bought new clothes back in may and the pants are already too big. I also bought a few pairs 2 sizes down from those and two weeks ago tried them and they fit. I was going to have the others tailored down, but I don't think they can do 2 sizes. I'm only buying enough to get my through the work week. Tops are easier as they can go a little further and be tailored easier depending on the design.

A lot of folks say to try Goodwill. I tried them and didn't find much professional wear. So Talbots clearance is my best friend right now oh and Macy's wonderful sales!

PM me if you want to ask specifics!

Good Luck!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I try to pick up a few key pieces on sale rails or in charity shops. I also try to keep to a colour scheme, based on things like scarves, bags, belts etc that i already have.

^ This. Friends who are moving are also great, I helped a few friends pack for moves, guest who got new clothing that fits? This girl. Which was really good bc HR had talked to me about how my clothing was too loose. It was hilarious.

When I started losing weight I bough a new skirt, 3 cardis, a dress and a few shirts, none fit me now, but I can still work with the skirt. Pants are the most frustrating, I just can't stay in them long enough to make it worth it (reread that and laughed) I can't stay in the SIZE long enough to make them feel worth it. A black knee length skirt, some shirts/cardis and most importantly (in my opinion) TIGHTS get a variety of colors to really change an outfit (and tights = not having to shave)!

Hit up a GoodWill/SalVal and see if they have anything. Maybe check freecycle.com. They sometimes have clothing.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I have been able to take in a couple of skirts to get a bit more wear out of them. I can't wait to get to a size where the fun clothes fit again!
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options

Pants are the most frustrating, I just can't stay in them long enough to make it worth it (reread that and laughed)

My husband would love if I had that problem! HR maybe not so much!!!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I went from a size 8 to a 2. I didn't start shopping until I was a size 4 (I didn't think I'd be in a smaller size at the weight I wanted to weigh). Thankfully I can get away with the size 4's, but I may consider trying to take some of them in or try and shrink them.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I have done the sale thing, but I have reached a size that must be popular and there is nothing on the clearance racks. Since I too need to dress professionally at work I have struggled with this same thing. I did buy some skirts and have successfully taken them in as I have lost. I did find some things at the thrift store, but my best finds have been consignment shops. I got dress pants for around $5 and shirts for $5-$8 there. A little more than a thrift shop, but the one I go to are all name brands and good quality clothes.