Anyone breastfeeding??

Options
Since I'm breastfeeding my 2mo old baby I have been including the average amount of calories one burns a day through breastfeeding (~500cal) because I dony want tp undereat to try to get tp the 1200cal goal. I'm not sure I'm being realistic, I hope I'm not overeating to overcompensate, but I guess in a couple weeks I'll know if I'm loosing weight. Any breastfeeding moms here?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Hi! I currently breastfeed my 13 month old, baby #5. I have a lot of experience breastfeeding and have posted about it a fair bit around here, though this is the first time I've had sustained weight loss. I have lost about 40 pounds since February and have about 30 more to go.

It can take time to know exactly how much breastfeeding affects your calories out, so please be patient. In my case, exclusive breastfeeding uses more than 500 calories - assuming other estimates for calorie burns for women my age and size are pretty close, it's probably closer to 700-800 calories, and stays over 500 even with a baby who eats some solids. With my activity level I actually eat about 2100 calories per day at present, and since I started tracking my weight loss I've averaged 1.3 lbs per week. I say this not because every experience should be like mine, but just to highlight that 1200 calories, even 1700 with 500 calories added, may not be enough for you. You're only 2 months postpartum, so still recovering even if the obvious physical recovery has stopped. I would err on the side of losing more slowly, for the sake of a healthy milk supply and so you don't end up feeling worn out and fatigued.

I think prior attempts to lose weight stalled out because I was likely undereating and couldn't handle the resulting fatigue and fussy babies (who also weren't getting enough to eat.) Browsing around the forums here was very helpful for me because I learned enough to know I should give myself permission to eat more, realizing that I could still lose, just more slowly, and baby could still grow well. The rule of thumb I often hear is "nine months on, nine months off" for baby weight/things going back to "normal." Some may be able to go faster and for some it might be slower, but it isn't a race, so please be gentle with yourself. :)
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This seems good advice to me - go gently.

Just one word of caution - I found losing baby weight easy, as the breastfeeding helped it all come off. But when I stopped breastfeeding - I found it harder to lose my new daily cake habit….

Ah well.
  • louiseandcleo
    louiseandcleo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. Is there a way I can add that I am breastfeeding to amend the daily calories allowance?