Gaining instead of losing

Options
I've been working out 5 days a week now, eating the 1200 calories this program tells me to, and I've remained the same weight since I started, I've even gained a pound or two. What am I doing wrong? I'm doing 30-45 minutes of cardio a day, lifting weights arms/legs, and following the Special K diet having cereal for breakfast and lunch with healthy snacks and a nice dinner each day. I'm beginning to lose hope and my self confidence has been in the toilet. I think I feel slightly firmer but not by much for all of the changes I've made.

I'm 23, 5'3 and currently 148lbs. I'd like to be 130lbs.

Also I'm confused. When I type in everything I've eaten for the day I make sure it adds up to or is close to 1200. Then when I work out it lowers the caloric intake, usually by half. So when I click finished for the day it always tells me I'm not eating enough. So am I supposed to eat way over 1200 and work out and have that balance to 1200?

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    eat back most of your exercise calories!!!!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    eat back most of your exercise calories!!!!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    You need to net 1200.

I am 5'3" started at 146. Down to 133.

Netting 1200 means actually eating 1600-1800 per day that I exercise.

Calories eaten (1200) minus exercise (say 500) makes your net calories around 700, so then you need to eat 500 more calories.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    That's why. 1200 hundred is your NET calorie goal. Working out gives you more calories to eat each day. Calorie restriction combined with lots of exercise only stresses the body and the first thing it does is protect itself from possible famine (that's what its seeing - not enough fuel coming in). It won't burn fat. It will store it.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    So am I supposed to eat way over 1200 and work out and have that balance to 1200?

Yes

http://www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    ...and you might be just building muscle (muscle weighs more than fat)... be patient and pull out the tape measure to see if you have lost inches.
  • Derameth
    Derameth Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been working out 5 days a week now, eating the 1200 calories this program tells me to, and I've remained the same weight since I started, I've even gained a pound or two. What am I doing wrong? I'm doing 30-45 minutes of cardio a day, lifting weights arms/legs, and following the Special K diet having cereal for breakfast and lunch with healthy snacks and a nice dinner each day. I'm beginning to lose hope and my self confidence has been in the toilet. I think I feel slightly firmer but not by much for all of the changes I've made.

I'm 23, 5'3 and currently 148lbs. I'd like to be 130lbs.

Also I'm confused. When I type in everything I've eaten for the day I make sure it adds up to or is close to 1200. Then when I work out it lowers the caloric intake, usually by half. So when I click finished for the day it always tells me I'm not eating enough. So am I supposed to eat way over 1200 and work out and have that balance to 1200?

You didn't say how long you've been working out 5 days per week. I noticed that you just recently joined MFP but how long have you been doing this much? Additionally, with weight training comes muscle building. Remember that while muscle burns calories longer than fat, it also weighs more. Use the tape measure and not the scale to judge your progress for a while...
  • outersoul
    Options
    ...and you might be just building muscle (muscle weighs more than fat)... be patient and pull out the tape measure to see if you have lost inches.

Sigh. Not on such a deficit.
  • elioconnor
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will aim to eat 1600-1800 calories per day so as to balance out the exercising. No wonder I'm not making any progress and I'm so hungry throughout the day. I'll add in extra calories via more fruits & veggies. Sigh of relief.

To the person who asked, I've been working out for about 5-6 weeks now. Not long but I figured by this point I would've lost maybe 5 pounds.