New Calorie Counting Idea

Options
Would you like to hear my idea for a new system for counting calories?  Probably not, but I'll tell you anyway.  ; )

Instead of starting counting from the time you wake up, you start your calorie day in the middle of the day.  I chose 3, since that's about halfway through the day, but it's arbitrary.  So, you start counting towards the end of the day, when you consume most of your calories anyway, and continue that tally through the beginning of the next day.  That way, if you have a big dinner or late night snacks or drinks, you can make up for it by skipping or eating lighter breakfasts or lunch, which is probably easier for most people than eating less at dinner.  Also, if you do mess up and have more at breakfast or lunch than you wanted to, your calorie day will be over soon, and you get a fresh start at 3.  Good for people like me who just tend to say "well, i blew it already, I'll say f it for the rest of the day and start again tomorrow."

Replies

• fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    That is actually a very good idea!!
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    In theory, wouldn't it be the same difference? The number is based on a 24-hour period.....
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    it looks like that system has worked for you very well... I think it is a good idea since everyone's needs are different. We should come up with something that works for us. Thanks for sharing. I might try this too.
  • bizinsn
    Options
    In my opinion, the best option is to plan the day ahead (even the day before) and try to stick to it!
    Already planned and prepared meals reduce the risk of eating too many calories and any type of fast foods.
    It works on me at least :)
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    That is an EXCELLENT idea. It's really easy to eat a small breakfast if necessary. Sure, it's just a mental trick, but whatever works, right?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hmmm .... I think I like that idea. I'm usually well behaved until 5:00 - then all H*ll breaks loose. Night time is the worst for me. I wonder if turning things "upside down" would help?
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    I like this idea a lot - I find it easier to be more disciplined earlier in the day so it could work well for me. Thank you for sharing your plan :smile:
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea, just a way to trick your mind and if it works for you, then roll with it.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Although I log my daily Calories I never really think in day-to-day terms too much. I tend not to pig out at breakfast or lunch and know that dinner is usually going to be at least 600 i.e. half my daily intake. I don't stress if I eat too few or too many Calories on any given day because it seems to be swings and roundabouts and the weight keeps a dropping.

But if that's what works for you... then keep on at it because the important thing is that you get into a rhythm (routine just sounds too regimented for me) and that rhythm starts to become harmonic and you instinctively know what works for you and that its sustainable.

I know I'm still a newbie here, but I've always been a quick study and I can feel myself getting into that rhythm and it's becoming very natural to the point that I don't feel hungry, I don't feel like snacks and I wonder how I ever ate 3000 Calories a day without blinking!