How to keep it off during your period?

Options
I need advice. I get so frustrated every time I start my period and I see the scale go the wrong way. Is it possible to lose during your period? What do you recommend to keep the pounds off? I don't eat more during it and I try to keep my exercise the same. I feel like I take one step forward and two steps back. So frustrating!!!!!!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight, not fat, and will go away on its own. If you are that bothered by it, stop weighing yourself so frequently.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's normal to fluctuate. Perhaps don't weigh in during that time.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I weigh everday, KNOWING that my weight changes anywhere from 1-4 pounds a DAY. I drink a LOT...the only day that really matters to me is the actual weigh in day.
  • lbares
    lbares Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is water. I usually gain 2-3 pounds during my period. I usually see it go away days 3-5 of my cycle. It is not fat. :)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't try very hard during those days because I know it will be in vain and makes me feel more miserable than I already am.
  • mistbrown
    mistbrown Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can try watching your salt intake around that time. Tracking measurements can help show progress when the scale doesn't.
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My doctor doesn't recommend weighing during your period! He says its temporary fluid gain and the occasional fluctuation maybe because of worse snacking (for those of us who have a hard time controlling cravings during this time!!).

They have me kick up the workout if i find myself snacking more and then weigh and measure once its all over and you stop feeling all bloated!

as for losing or keeping off pounds, you shouldn't be packing on like 10 pounds every period, but if you having between 2 and 6 pounds you are pretty normal and you just to keep drinking your fluids and kick up the workout! Make as many nutritious choices as you can!
  • genthel
    genthel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is pretty normal for the women I know...water weight. There is nothing you can really do about it. Drink water, stick to your eating plan and exercise. It will all balance back out afterwards.
  • Fockertots
    Options
    So for someone who is on extended cycles (only 3-4 periods a year) is that why when I finally am on it, I feel like I've gained 20 pounds? Obviously I haven't, but the amount of bloating definitely feels like I've suddenly ballooned up.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    Just drink lots of water, watch sodium intake, and try to avoid the scales for a few days :)
  • ji225
    ji225 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I havent noticed this time rounds as I deliberately dont weigh that week BUT i know when i was trying to lose weight years ago, whatever I did during my period didnt matter. I could be really good and not lose a lb, or eat like a horse and not gain overall, so I think it's natures gift back to us - period week should be a week when you are taking it a bit easier (exerices and diet wise) , take the pressure off and do nice things for yourself, and you wont feel the need for so much junk - but the od bar of chocolate (as I always need that week) will not do much harm:)
  • KaylaKilgore
    KaylaKilgore Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Less salt, and more water. It's water weight though, I wouldn't weigh myself while it's the TOM cause it'd discourage me even though I know it's water.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight, not fat, and will go away on its own. If you are that bothered by it, stop weighing yourself so frequently.

what she said.. I actually put my scale away.. going to weigh myself once a month and take measurments... As long as i'm losing inches i don't care :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options
    Wait five days. The world will be all good.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I sympathise I got down to 11st 10 then put 6lbs water on this month, however 6lbs hasnt come off only 2lbs has and its now a week after monthlies and I'm still 12 st.

I used water pills too to help it come back off so don't get why the same 6lbs didnt come back off if it was only water! :ohwell:
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Try sipping hot lemon water during that time to help get rid of the excess fluid. I was told this when I did LA Weight Loss many years ago and it worked, or seemed to. And yes, it is possible to lose weight during that time of the month but it is also possible to gain.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    At least you know when it's coming...mine is irregular so one day I wake up and BAM..I'm in weight and super moody. I honetly think the mood swings come from the water weight gain. lol
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I guess my body is different since I tend to always lose during my cycle. I find myself hungry the week before and if I go nuts I gain, but I have good self control and will power now.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's just water weight. I don't weigh myself when I know I'm either getting or on my period. I wait until after and then it's usually a significant loss, so that's always fun!
  • jjameli
    Options
    I tend to get very hungry a couple days before I start, then during I can't eat much because I get nauseous. I lose weight during my period, and don't even work out, but I heard your metabolism revs up some during. I drink a lot of water and try to get in at least the minimum 1200 calories everyday. I've been on mine since Sunday and tomorrow is my weigh in, so I will see what the scale says.