100lb to go

Options
My name is Wendy (but Winni works, too!). I have hit an all-time high for me, 263lbs on a 5'8" body (large-framed, but still WAAAAAYYYY into obese!).

I have been tired of the weight for several years now, enough to make some poor start-ups of diet/exercise, but found I did not have the willingness to truly commit to it. I have a loving family, and a very supportive husband, but I dislike talking to family and friends about my weight and weight loss attempts, for various reasons. That creates a problem, because I need support through this kind of journey. Not having efficient weight-loss tools, not having time, or the 'right' kind of support were all excuses I used before to stall weight-loss efforts. Ultimately it was my lack of commitment; I wasn't ready and no amount of coaxing, cajoling, or incrimination from myself or others would make it the 'right' time.

I have blamed all of my aches and pains (knees, feet, back, chest, etc.) and incessant indigestion on getting old, but I am done lying to myself about it. I look in the mirror and feel pretty disgusted; I know I am supposed to love my body, but I loathe the obese shape I have allowed to encompass me. My weight has effected my marriage- not because he loves me less, but because mentally and emotionally I don't feel attractive, much less sexy! I used to feel like a powerful woman- I was active duty Army for 6 years and held my own with the men. Now I get winded just walking around the yard. Obviously, it has been time to change for awhile.

Like Dave Ramsey says about debt, "When you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, you will do something." That is where I am at. I am amazed at how easily I have taken it up. I found MyFitnessPal to be VERY easy to use; most things I eat are already in the database! I haven't begun exercising yet, but I am starting slow. My hubby has been so tremendously wonderful!

My Goals:
1) Feel powerful- run a half marathon
2) Feel healthy- a lower weight and stronger body will diminish the pains and indigestion
3) Feel good about my body- be able to look in the mirror and love myself again
4) Develop healthy eating habits to maintain the first 3 goals

How I plan to get there:
1) Track my caloric intake daily and keep it within a specific range for weight loss
2) Use more produce and leaner choices in my diet
3) Slowly incorporate exercise into my daily routine
4) Ultimately, I want to lose about 100lbs.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and helping support you in our mutual goals!

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

Replies

• jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place to track and get encouragement. You can add me if you would like to be friends and help each other out. :)
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Welcome...we're in the same boat! Good Luck!
  • Brandei
    Brandei Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can do it- keep it one day at a time.
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    Excellent goals!!! I think it is really helpful that you have well-rounded, whole-body goals as well as a means to achieve them. You have a great foundation and this site is filled with encouragement and useful tools...welcome!!
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey.
  • sezp
    sezp Posts: 69
    Options
    Welcome! You're in the right place, it's a really good motivating and supportive atmosphere here. I'll send you a friend request and do my best to support you in your weightloss journey! Good luck!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My name is Wendy (but Winni works, too!). I have hit an all-time high for me, 263lbs on a 5'8" body (large-framed, but still WAAAAAYYYY into obese!).

I have been tired of the weight for several years now, enough to make some poor start-ups of diet/exercise, but found I did not have the willingness to truly commit to it. I have a loving family, and a very supportive husband, but I dislike talking to family and friends about my weight and weight loss attempts, for various reasons. That creates a problem, because I need support through this kind of journey. Not having efficient weight-loss tools, not having time, or the 'right' kind of support were all excuses I used before to stall weight-loss efforts. Ultimately it was my lack of commitment; I wasn't ready and no amount of coaxing, cajoling, or incrimination from myself or others would make it the 'right' time.

I have blamed all of my aches and pains (knees, feet, back, chest, etc.) and incessant indigestion on getting old, but I am done lying to myself about it. I look in the mirror and feel pretty disgusted; I know I am supposed to love my body, but I loathe the obese shape I have allowed to encompass me. My weight has effected my marriage- not because he loves me less, but because mentally and emotionally I don't feel attractive, much less sexy! I used to feel like a powerful woman- I was active duty Army for 6 years and held my own with the men. Now I get winded just walking around the yard. Obviously, it has been time to change for awhile.

Like Dave Ramsey says about debt, "When you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, you will do something." That is where I am at. I am amazed at how easily I have taken it up. I found MyFitnessPal to be VERY easy to use; most things I eat are already in the database! I haven't begun exercising yet, but I am starting slow. My hubby has been so tremendously wonderful!

My Goals:
    1) Feel powerful- run a half marathon
    2) Feel healthy- a lower weight and stronger body will diminish the pains and indigestion
    3) Feel good about my body- be able to look in the mirror and love myself again
    4) Develop healthy eating habits to maintain the first 3 goals

How I plan to get there:
    1) Track my caloric intake daily and keep it within a specific range for weight loss
    2) Use more produce and leaner choices in my diet
    3) Slowly incorporate exercise into my daily routine
    4) Ultimately, I want to lose about 100lbs.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and helping support you in our mutual goals!

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

You have said it all if you can stick to it you will achieve your goals. Remember its not what you eat, its how much and it's a lifestyle change not a diet. Good Luck keep us up to date with progress
  • cliffhealy
    cliffhealy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I am also 5-8 and today I hit an all-time high of 273!!! I am disgusted with myself. I have beautiful little granddaughter that I need to be around for as well as the rest of my awesome family. Got to get my act together!!!! Add me if you wish. I am going to make Mondays my weigh-in day. Ultimate weight goal is 150 lbs. First milestone I am shooting for is to get back below 260.
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to you ma'am, you may get discouraged at times but be sure to hang in there. I know you can do it =^)
  • SugarBabii
    Options
    Hi Winni =) I am 5"10 200 Pounds. I have a hard time accepting that it is possible to get my goal weight. I have recently lost 10 pounds in a month. I have been living off of Healthy Choice Steamers and strawberries. I try my best not to lay around the house. I do eat sweets once in a while but have really lowered my Dr.Pepper Obsession. I wish you the best of luck and may we both reach our goal weight =):smooched:
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    I am going to friend you. We have very similar body weights and issues and are both starting NEW LIVES! We can definitely support each other! WE CAN DO THIS!
  • darsh11
    Options
    Your story is very similar to mine. I started my journey at 269. I have worked very hard for two years to lose 55 lbs. Yes I said two years. It has been life changing. The journey is so much more amazing than the actual weight loss. You can add me as your friend if you would like.
    Here are some suggestions that worked for me and are still working for me.
    Instead of setting a goal to run a half marathon and gradually incorporate exercise.
    Sign up for a 5k race that is a few months away. It gives you a carrot to chase and motivates to you exercise. Then once you have done that race sign up for another race.
    It was May 2010 that I did my first 5k. Now I have completed a half marathon, several 10Ks, 3 triathlons, and a duathlon. I am about to compete in my 4th triathlon in a few weeks.
    Get a complete physical to make sure you do not have a low thyroid or other things like high blood sugar or other health problems that are hiding under the surface.
    Tracking is hard day after day and I reward myself each day that I track. I am currently saving for a road bike.
    Good luck on your adventure. It really will change your life
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Very similar story and body type, I for the longest time blamed a broken thyroid as a reason for not being able to loose the weight, when all along it was a commitment issue. I happy to say WASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, you have come to the right place, check out my profile and friend me if you like! Godo luck!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. It is a wonderful website and if you stick to your goals, you will be for sure see positive outcome. Good luck on your journey and we are all her for support. Feel free to add me :-)
  • cliffhealy
    cliffhealy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well this is Day 3 of a long journey. MOnday went very well. Yesterday not so good. Long John Silver's got in my way. I didn't totally destroy myself, but I did bust my number. The good news is I am back on track today and doing well.
  • DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, you can do it. i never thought almost a year later I would still be pretty much sticking to it. Yes there has been bumps in the road but I always get up dust myself off and go forward again.
    I have learned that no one is perfect and this is a life time plan. I know I can do this, lose the rest of the weight and comit myself to a better way of living.
    Good luck to you.
  • WinniDePoux
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all so much! All the warmth and acceptance is a little overwhelming, but I can't tell you how much I appreciate that you were all willing to share you stories and give your support. (I have friend-requested those that extended the offer!) Over the last few years sharing my weight 'story' has become something I rarely do. From some folks who never had this experience there was usually judgment and un-asked for advice coming from folks who never had the same struggles. Anyone else I was always afraid that I would fail and then look like a complete loser (NOT the good kind!) when I gave up.

I feel different now. It is not a feeling of 'if' I lose weight, but how. I am not in a hurry- this needs to be a life change for me. I am a huge emotional eater- the bad days, the really bad ones, has always found me consuming a pint of Ben & Jerrys ice cream in one sitting. There are a myriad of things I need to do to re-make my lifestyle the way I want it to be. I need to get into the habit of eating healthier, more fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc. I need to make exercise a routine. But foremost I need to learn how to deal with those emotions in other ways.

I had my first challenge in emotional eating this week. :cry: While I 'broke' my calorie numbers a couple times, there was only one day that I caused a slight setback to my weight loss goals. I will rejoice in every small victory :drinker:

4 pounds and counting :smile: