Calories per day

Options
If I'm burning 500cal a day,Does that mean I can ONLY eat less than 500cal to lose weight???
Thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Bumping this back up, since you keep asking this - I hope you see this...
  • medee35
    medee35 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've asked this before? If I did maybe I didn't see a reply or get a full understanding. Thank you for replying but if you are tired of me asking the same questions you are more than welcome to skip over my question and not reply. Thank you
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    also, please read this, too (its a thread i think EVERYONE should read :) )

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You aren't burning just 500 a day though, where did you get that number from?

Your total calorie expenditure for the day is made up of:

BMR - basal metabolic rate just to support all the basic function of your body (there's a BMR calculator right here on the APPS tab).

Activity - general movement as part of your normal day.

Exercise. (That's accounted for after the event here on MyFitnessPal)

Have you gone through your goal set up here?
    If you pick the "maintain current weight" option that will give you an estimate of your average daily needs on days you do no purposeful exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    medee35 wrote: »
    If I'm burning 500cal a day,Does that mean I can ONLY eat less than 500cal to lose weight???
    Thanks

You burn calories 24/7. Merely existing burns a substantial number of calories...calories are energy...you being alive requires energy.

The average BMR for a female is around 1400 calories...1800 calories for males. You burn those calories in a coma. Any and all daily activities also burn calories as does exercise. When you add all of that up you get your TDEE (maintenance calories) and that's what you cut from to lose weight.

I burn around 1800 calories existing...with that plus my day to day stuff and exercise, I need around 2800-3000 calories to maintain weight. I lose about 1 Lb per week (500 calorie cut) on 2300-2500 calories. My exercise burn alone is fairly small relative to everything else...depending on what I'm doing it's anywhere from 250-500 calories with exercise...pretty small relative to the calories I burn merely being alive and going about my day to day.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are not a 2 foot, 5 inch tall woman weighing only 50-55 pounds: you use much more in a day than 500.

You may just be thinking about calories you 'burn' thru exercise but your body is ALWAYS using energy. How much depends on how tall/heavy you are, your gender & age, and how active you are. Random examples but my 21 year old daughter who is 5'1" and 100 pounds (and trying to gain weight) has different calorie needs than my 19 year old daughter who is 5'0" and 130 pounds (and happy with her weight).

When you go thru the guided setup and enter your stats and then weight loss goal, MFP helps you figure out how many calories you should eat to lose weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    gk0ooalqbdof.png