Medication during intermittent fasting

Options
Hello guys

I have been doing intermittent fasting since a month.
I restrict eating after 7pm and then have bitter gourd juice next morning at 11Am
Then after 2 3 hrs I eat barley porridge
I've been following 16hrs fasting but m confused abt my medicines
My tailbone has been fractured
I need to take medicine two times after meal
So my question is:
If I take medicine late at night ,will it effect my fasting ?
Bcz I can't take medicine empty stomach and after bitter gourd juice I don't feel like eating anything for next 2 3 hours

Pls help me guys
I have wrote so many things actually I'm confused how to explain my question property as English isn't my native language

Thank u

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The benefits of fasting are primarily to let your digestive system go through all the processes of digestion. I've read it takes 5 hours for the liver etc to have completed this process. People who constantly snack are the ones who can have greater issues from the cycle not being completed. (It does not have to include elimination from the body, this is a different, subsequent part of digestion.)

May I suggest you talk to your pharmacist if you do not wish to bother your doctor about the timing of your pain relief medications. It may be you need it twice a day though often they are 4 times.

I hope you have a ring doughnut cushion. One of my granddaughters had the same issue many years ago. She found the cushion invaluable keeping the pressure off her coccyx. Hope you heal soon. If its like other bones could be 6 weeks, hope it passes soon.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Probably now is not the best time for fasting. Take your medications as prescribed with food and don’t worry about your diet while you heal. You need extra calories for healing anyway. Also, is there some special reason for the bitter gourd juice? Unless your doctor has told you to drink this, stop it.

It’s frustrating to have an injury when you were trying something new for a month, but the injury and your doctor’s instructions come first.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Jovia_j wrote: »
    Hello guys

I have been doing intermittent fasting since a month.
    I restrict eating after 7pm and then have bitter gourd juice next morning at 11Am
    Then after 2 3 hrs I eat barley porridge

I've been following 16hrs fasting but m confused abt my medicines
    My tailbone has been fractured
    I need to take medicine two times after meal
    So my question is:
    If I take medicine late at night ,will it effect my fasting ?
    Bcz I can't take medicine empty stomach and after bitter gourd juice I don't feel like eating anything for next 2 3 hours

Pls help me guys
    I have wrote so many things actually I'm confused how to explain my question property as English isn't my native language

Thank u

Sounds like you can take your meds with your barley porridge and then again with your next meal, yes?

But do confirm with your pharmacist or doctor.

Your English is very understandable :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,780 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    24/2 = 12 :)
    24-16 = 8

8 =/= 12

So either your food schedule, or your medication schedule, or the requirement to take with food will have to change.

Talk to your doctor 😉
  • Jovia_j
    Jovia_j Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    The benefits of fasting are primarily to let your digestive system go through all the processes of digestion. I've read it takes 5 hours for the liver etc to have completed this process. People who constantly snack are the ones who can have greater issues from the cycle not being completed. (It does not have to include elimination from the body, this is a different, subsequent part of digestion.)

May I suggest you talk to your pharmacist if you do not wish to bother your doctor about the timing of your pain relief medications. It may be you need it twice a day though often they are 4 times.

I hope you have a ring doughnut cushion. One of my granddaughters had the same issue many years ago. She found the cushion invaluable keeping the pressure off her coccyx. Hope you heal soon. If its like other bones could be 6 weeks, hope it passes soon.

Thank u so much for ur wishes
  • Jovia_j
    Options
    Probably now is not the best time for fasting. Take your medications as prescribed with food and don’t worry about your diet while you heal. You need extra calories for healing anyway. Also, is there some special reason for the bitter gourd juice? Unless your doctor has told you to drink this, stop it.

It’s frustrating to have an injury when you were trying something new for a month, but the injury and your doctor’s instructions come first.

Ummm bitter gourd juice helped me to lose weight back in the past. M 5.5" tall with 65kgs
    right now n planning to get married ☺️ so I want to look good in bridal dress ❤️
  • Jovia_j
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    There isn't anything 'magical' about intermittent fasting, it's just a way to reduce your calorie intake. Take your medication when you should according to the doctor and don't worry about breaking your fast.

Noted ☺️
    Thank u ❤️
  • Jovia_j
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about breaking the fast. Take your medicine when and how your doctor tells you to.

But what do mean by taking your medicine "late at night"? If you stop eating after 7 p.m., I don't think taking your medicine several hours later is what is normally meant by taking it after a meal. Please check with your doctor to be sure you are taking the medication at the right times. And if you need to, adjust your fast or when you eat your meals. As said above, there's nothing magical about intermittent fasting.

I mean I take morning pills at 1pm after porridge so I thought there should b balance between doses