71 pounds gone in spite of many obstacles.

q94qcml0iwcc.jpg

I thought I would share my story in case it might help or encourage anyone. I am a homeschooling mom to five children. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and limited mobility due to my RA, SI joint dysfunction, and Digenerative disc disease, scoliosis, among other health problems. At the end of 2020, I set some goals for myself. I decided to try to walk 4k steps a day. When I started, I was using a cane and could only walk 700. But over time I was able to average 8k steps a day. I stopped eating breakfast because I don't like it. I was just eating it because I thought you were supposed to. I replaced my lunch with whole foods, and meal planned dinners and made them from scratch. I weighed my food, and that was really important. I logged my food daily, which was also important. It was hard to see progress, but I just kept going. I figured, what's the worst that could happen? So I just kept trying. Recently, my husband was involved in a terrible accident at home and passed away instantly. My world felt (and still feels) like it has been turned upside-down. Instead of letting this tragedy get the best of me, I am letting it motivate me. I have 5 children to be responsible for all on my own and I need to be capable of taking care of them. I need to be mobile and healthy. So I continue to log in every day as a measure to continue to make myself and my children a priority. I am really proud of my progress and I hope my husband is proud of me too. My journey isn't over, because I intend on making my health a priority for the rest of my (hopefully long) life.

Replies

• urban287
    urban287 Posts: 50 Member
    I really admire yuu for going forward with your goals...That is important....You're looking terrific...Stick with it...
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Encouraging, brave strong woman. So sorry for the passing of your husband, sure he is proud of you. Thank you for sharing, life is so unpredictable. Enjoy every moment, hugs. <3
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I am so sorry and you are so young, I would probably eat myself to death but no you did it the right way, taking care of yourself, that is great.
  • LAURARITCHIE2
    LAURARITCHIE2 Posts: 1 Member
    Good for you! You look great~
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Are you finding your is mobility better carrying less weight? Has the pain and inflammation decreased?

You are an inspiration. Taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do for you and your children. ❤️
  • suzij27 wrote: »
    Are you finding your is mobility better carrying less weight? Has the pain and inflammation decreased?

You are an inspiration. Taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do for you and your children. ❤️

Yes, I feel a lot less pain in my joints. Especially my feet. I still flare up if I overdo it, but not nearly as much. I've found that moderate regular movement is the key. I can't sit still for too long, but also can't overdo it. Thank you ❤️
  • The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    First of all, I am very sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

I have RA myself and like you, I couldn't walk much either when I came here, so I can imagine how much strength it cost you to walk on a cane. I had to walk beside a golf cart, so I could sit down (it was my friend's idea.) I was too fat and I was in pain.

Congratulations on your weight loss. You look fantastic! You beat the odds. I am very proud of you and I bet your children are too.

I found a food regimen that works for me and I am off all RA meds. In case you want to know, please message me, it's not a wizard cure or a magic potion, neither a product, it's just a lifestyle change, eliminating certain foods for good and it did wonders for me -that's why I offer to share but try to step on anybody's toes either.

Congrats! Well done!

• mothermoose116
    mothermoose116 Posts: 20 Member
    Wow- you've done such a great job.
    I'm so sorry for your loss, it must have been devastating. I suddenly lost my mother a few months ago and turned to my usual comfort foods. Good for you for focusing on taking care of yourself and your kids.
  • sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    You are an inspiration. I don’t know how you have found the strength to keep these new habits after such a terrible tragedy. You look wonderful. I am glad that this is helping you to meet your responsibilities.
  • eerickroque
    eerickroque Posts: 1 Member
    Amazing, keep up the great work!
  • gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    You are a true warrior
  • xenawarrior80
    xenawarrior80 Posts: 2 Member
    Your story is overwhelming. As my mother-in-law says, "Honey, you got a lot on ya." Do you still want to be a punk rocker? Are you finding time for your music?
  • Your story is overwhelming. As my mother-in-law says, "Honey, you got a lot on ya." Do you still want to be a punk rocker? Are you finding time for your music?

Punk is life and it's infused in everything I do❤️. Music has been good medicine.
  • Jynx09
    Jynx09 Posts: 10 Member
    Congratulations on your weight loss. I’m so very sorry for the loss of your husband, sending love to you and your family. <3
  • ziolove
    ziolove Posts: 7 Member
    So sorry for your loss. You are amazingly strong and brave. Peace and best to you and your children. <3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!