My wedding in 5 days- help with bloating?

Options
Hi guys! I'm sitting at my desk drinking water like crazy because I was the goofy bride who bought a dress 2 sizes too small. My wedding is in 5 days and I want to be super comfortable so I'm trying to get rid of bloat. Any advice?

So far I'm drinking 8+ glasses of water a day and green tea (with splenda). I'm starting to take Pamprin for it's diuretic/anti-bloat qualities (and because I'm so exhausted from wedding planning and the caffeine will help.) I was doing shots of lemon juice to get rid of water weight but it makes my throat hurt pretty badly and my voice sound scratchy so I'm going to stop that.

What foods should I eat? I read somewhere that potassium helps, but I read somewhere else that bananas cause bloat. Should I avoid all veggies or just particular ones? What about carbs? I'm afraid to eat anything! Help!! =)

Replies

• kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is awesome for bloating!
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Avoid bread/wheat a few days before, thats quite a bad bloater
  • Cokamo
    Options
    Dilute the lemon juice in your water...I imagine straight would be way too strong!
  • shagybear33
    Options
    i agree with the above poster....try to limit breads, pastas, and even sugar for a few days.. :D
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage....will make you bloat, so avoid those for a few days.
  • CelticChick2011
    Options
    watch your salt intake too! Good luck and CONGRATS!!!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you, OP! My wedding is in 10 days and my legs are all puffy! When this happens i usually do what you're doing (down water), take a ton of Ginkgo (it helps-- i take about 12 caps a day) and really, REALLY cut back on carbs. Like another person said, bread = bloat! Good luck!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    if doing all this still leaves you a tad bloated go for a body wrap the day before your wedding...they really do work (obviously temporary but hey as long as the dress fits!)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    No salt, no green vegetables!

This is NOT a healthy way to lose weight, but very effective at quickly and temporarily removing water weight. If you have access to a gym with a sauna, go sit in the sauna for 20-30 minutes the morning of your wedding. Just remember during the event to drink water, especially if drinking alcohol so you don't get dehydrated and pass out.

Get some spanx :)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Food with water helps - try cucumber and watermelon.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Dandelion root tea is a natural diuretic and adds potassium, (I think) Google it to be sure. It's bitter, but it does work. My nutritionist says to double the teabags, which makes it SUPER bitter, I add honey and that helps, (a little).
  • dreamer12781
    Options
    Everyone is so helpful and quick with their responses!! Thank you!! =)
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just did some reading on water retension aka bloating. I agree with the above food avoidance and adding lemon to your water. Its most likely too late but apparently B12 and vit C is good for it as well. I believe vit D was also mentioned. AVOID ANY HIGH SODIUM FOODS. Add sodium to your food diary to help keep an eye on what your intake is. MFP suggested 2500mg daily but my Doctor said that was too high, I have high blood pressure so he said around 1500mg daily. You will be surprised to discover what foods sodium hdes itself in such as any preservatives and can goods.
    MORE IMPORTANTLY ENJOY YOUR SPECIAL DAY! ps spanks can help if needed as ugly as they are lol just remove them on the honeymoon!
  • TonnaJai
    TonnaJai Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Try wearing the water belt that is available at walmart in the exercise section it always does wonders for me during that time. Best Wishes and Congrats on the BIG DAY!!!! :)
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Dandelion root tea is a natural diuretic and adds potassium, (I think) Google it to be sure. It's bitter, but it does work. My nutritionist says to double the teabags, which makes it SUPER bitter, I add honey and that helps, (a little).
    I forgot about this, I read this is wonderful as well!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    60 oz water
    1 tbsp cranberry juice
    1 dandelion root tea bag
    2 tbsp lemon juice

drink through the day to help with bloating
  • dreamer12781
    Options
    spanx on the honeymoon- ha!!

Yes, that water mixture sounds like it has all the right ingredients. Awesome!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You tried a sauna?
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Eat a low salt diet and avoid foods that will make you gassy/bloated ( a simple google search will give you a list of the offenders) for a few days prior to the wedding. I don't think the diuretics are necessary. Not positive, but I'm guessing since being dehydrated makes you retain water, taking a bunch of diuretics could possibly have the opposite effect. It is better that you just stay hydrated with water...the more the better and cut out as much sodium as possible.

Good luck!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Fresh pineapple helped me when I was pregnant because it's a natural diuretic. Any veggies/fruit with a high water content should also help (with the added benefit of fibre).