Obedience

Options
So...I have a boxer. Male, 6 months old and crazy as hell. He hasn't been to obedience training yet because an extra $200 bucks just isn't in the budget right now. He doesn't listen for squat and likes to run away when he's being called. Are there any animal trainers out there that can give me tips on how to get this beast to listen to me, to come when he's called? I've tried being calm when I call him and standing still, I've tried telling him to sit and stay and calmly walk towards him. I'm at my whits end and can only handle so much with this pooch. It's driving me crazy!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    is he fixed?
  • houzkat
    Options
    :grumble: fixing didn't help mine
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That is what I was going to ask. As soon as my beagle was fixed he was much calmer and easier to work with. Good luck!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's probably big fun to run away.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Its all about finding what they like, If he has a favourite toy only play with him when he comes to you when you call (obviously show him the toy. If its food then the same, he only gets treat when he comes to you. He'll catch on quick. Consistency is key as well. They dont understand the english language but if you say sit when you press his bottom down he'll associate that sound with sitting aslong as you reward him after.

If you chase (walk towards him) he'll think its chase time but if you hold something attractive he'll come to you.
    Boxers are known to be boisterious and I wouldnt recommend walking without a leash for a good while until he's settled down.

My experience comes with working with other dogs (im not a professional)

A jack russell I see a lot has associated sit with laying on his back and no as drop it.... but it works and he does as hes 'told' lol. x
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    He is fixed. Vet said that would help with his breed though. He knows how to sit and "hears" other commands. He just doesn't listen to many of them.
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Our classes were about $80 for ten lessons and so worth it. The classes were through a local AKC group instead of a commercial pet store/trainers.

Our dog is a big 'ol food *kitten* so that helped a lot as he'll do just about anything for kibble. My best recommendation is wear him out as much as you can and then work on positive reinforcement training. When he does something good then give him a piece of kibble and when he doesn't then ignore the behavior or walk away from him. On a leash keep a piece of kibble in your hand and when he's calm and walking the way you want then give it to him. If he's pulling in one direction then turn around and walk the other way. You'll feel silly walking back and forth in place until he gets it but it does work.

Another point is to have an idea of the behavior you want, reward him when you see it, and if you're getting frustrated then end the training session.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You need to show him the commands repeatedly over and over again treating when he does it right, so for sit, push his bottom down saying sit and treat, repeat a few times and then try again without pushing his bottom down and see what he does. as long as he is focused on the treat he should catch on. Its about getting and keeping their attention!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Invest in a training line or make one from rope from the hardware store (basically a really really really long leash)

And check into dog training forums - they're probably better help than human fitness ones :tongue:

Try this...

http://tinyurl.com/5wyr4hl

:flowerforyou:
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Treats.....small ones that are meant for training, would be where I would start.
    I have Two (count em 2) Bull Mastiffs and they are putty in my hands. I got them both when they were 8 weeks old and I trained them to Listen to ME and NO back talking LOL By using small training treats, always followed by a "Good Boy or Girl" they love praise.

Good Luck
  • roebuck1908
    Options
    Sorry though this site is for humans and losing weight.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You unknowingly just opened a can o'worms here. :-)

I've been training dogs professionally for nearly 9 years (trained about 1500 dogs so far), so I know what you are dealing with, and know how to fix it.

Here is the biggest problem with asking for advice on a forum.... you are going to get good AND bad advice, and you won't know which is which.
    Second problem is that training takes time, and you won't know if you are using the wrong approach for quite some time, and if you followed bad advice, you could very well be worse off than before posting the question.

My simplest, cheapest advice is to buy the book "Ruff Love" by Susan Garrett. No, it's not in the 'adult intimacy' department.
    :wink:

It's a small book, that follows the same philosophy that I train my dogs by, and yields terrific results without being gimmicky.

I don't offer training over the internet because it is extremely time consuming, and involves recurring follow-up instruction. But, if you buy that book (around $20 I think from Amazon or Dog-wise.com), you will get sound practical advice.
    Good luck.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You need to show him the commands repeatedly over and over again treating when he does it right, so for sit, push his bottom down saying sit and treat, repeat a few times and then try again without pushing his bottom down and see what he does. as long as he is focused on the treat he should catch on. Its about getting and keeping their attention!

^^ this.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Before you bother with teaching the dog 'tricks' like Sit and Stay, you need to gain their respect. This is where psychology comes into play. I've trained far too many dogs who were masters of skills, but still had no respect for their owners. You are entering the dog's adolescent age, which only makes things more interesting.
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    Sorry though this site is for humans and losing weight.

Look at the forum category...
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Clearly you just need to call the Dog Whisperer. Thank me later. :smokin:
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Before you bother with teaching the dog 'tricks' like Sit and Stay, you need to gain their respect. This is where psychology comes into play. I've trained far too many dogs who were masters of skills, but still had no respect for their owners. You are entering the dog's adolescent age, which only makes things more interesting.

^^^ This! Boxers are beautiful, intelligent, and sometimes stubborn dogs, this can make training challenging. I know you said you do not have money for a trainer, but that is the best suggestion especially if you are a novice dog owner. I know I was at my wits end a few times with my German Shepherd mix during this stage in her life (Wait...she is only 1 1/2 years old, I am still at my wits end sometimes!) and I have worked with dogs quite a bit especially stubborn dogs. My suggestion is to learn more about the breed and actual dog psychology.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Clicker training! The "For Dummies" books on dog training are great on dog training. Start with teaching them that the clicker means food. When he's sitting by you, click and give a treat. Do that for a while until he associates the click as a good thing. Then move on to actually teaching him stuff.

Remember to click and give a treat when he does the right thing, not just pointing and clicking like it's a remote control. For instance, for sit, say "SIT" and hold a treat over his nose, then move it up and back, until he has to sit to stay watching it. Don't click until his bum hits the floor, then click and give him the treat. If he jumps up, tell him, "no" and turn away from him. But be prepared to praise him like he just split an atom if he does it right.

For me, using treats (and they should be TINY pieces... one Beggin' Strip is about 20 treats when broken up) and guiding him into the motion works a lot better than pushing or shoving him into position. Sometimes it's just a matter of being more patient and stubborn than he is. Sometimes the best way to teach is to wait until he's doing something on his own, like sitting, catching him about to do it, saying, "Sit" then clicking, treating and praising.

Obedience training isn't really for the dog. It's for the owner to learn how to teach him.

I trained my Pekingese to sit, down, wave, paw, high five (really low high five), play dead and sing on command with clicker training, as well as front door, back door, go to bed, and leave it, which is getting them to ignore something they really want (best thing ever to teach!) Pekes are INCREDIBLY stubborn dogs... the folks from his rescue group were absolutely amazed at what he can do. Most of their dogs were obedience school dropouts. :tongue:

Video of Beavis doing tricks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOJCbtOAIys (this was when we were still taking classes... if you look at other videos of him, he improved a lot)

Boxers, in my experience, will stay hyperactive puppies until they're about 10-12 years old. And they'll always think they belong on your lap. :happy:
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Invest in a training line or make one from rope from the hardware store (basically a really really really long leash)

And check into dog training forums - they're probably better help than human fitness ones :tongue:

Try this...

http://tinyurl.com/5wyr4hl

:flowerforyou:

I was gonna say a long lead line also! I have a 5 yr old boxer & he is so well behaved, but it took alot of constant repetitive training! Part of it is that he is 6 months anda male! The big breads dont usually slow down til they are 2 yrs of age. Cheese can be a good reward or inticement (doggie cheese) altho i used lil peices of kraft singles. lol! Its sounds like this pup may not be getting the exercise it needs. What kind & how much exercise is he getting in a day?? I would wear him out w exercise before i tried to do commands. You have to be the leader & the boss (pack leader AS THE Dog whisperer would say)
  • hkrosez
    Options
    Alright, first thing is first. Sounds like he trust you and IS listening, but doesn't respect you. You have to show him YOU are the boss. Coming when called is actually a more advanced training in this case. You need to first establish you are the pack leader. For this type of hard headed-ness. Clicker training and treat training WILL NOT WORK. I bet he comes every time and sits every time when you try to give him a treat, yes? NO MORE TREAT TRAINING!!

First of all --
    Dominance/Pack Leader exercises:
    -Make sure YOU go out the door first
    -You eat in front of him,THEN feed him afterwards.
    -Make him sit before you put the food bowl down.
    -Don't let him eat until you give him permission.
    -If he doesn't respond on the 1ST try, make him do it!
    -Staring contests. Never let him win. ALWAYS stare at him as if you are challenging him until he looks away.
    -Crate him during the day. If you are not home and he is left in the house, he can start to think he owns the place.

Tips (for sit and other commands)
    -Never repeat yourself. Non-verbal command are actually better for these types of dogs. The fist is the command for sit. Put the first in front of his face where he has to look at it, say firmly 'sit' and if he doesn't sit in 10 seconds, grab the front of his collar and push his bum down.
    If you still have to push his bum down on the 5th try of sitting, grab the front of his collar, do your hand signal, and say 'sit' staring into his eyes the whole time. If he still doesn't, push his bum down still. This is intimidating to him, and tells him you are the pack leader-not him.

The first command you should work on is 'sit' right after his own name. Until he learns this, he won't learn anything else. Then try 'down'.

Manners are also very important. If you have any questions or anything I can help you with, please let me know -- send me a message.