I've hit a wall, how do I break through it?

Options
Okay, so week to week I eat my 1200 calories, I run 3 to 4 times per week (average of 10 miles per week), I walk, rather than drive, to as many places as I can, or ride my bike. However, one week I'll lose 1 lb., the next week I'm back up 1 lb. I can't freaking win. I've been at this for the last month and have seen 0 to negative results. I'm reading everyone's success stories and looking at before and after pics and am just getting discouraged. How can I lose the 10 lbs I gained over the last 4 months? I'm ready to try ANYTHING.

Thanks guys.

- Beatrix

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    check your sodium content and try mixing up your workout remeber your body becomes used to doing things and they become less effective
  • dannylives
    Options
    Dude, I dont know, I havent managed to lose anything.
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    PERSONALLY I THINK THIS CALORIE COUNTING OLY WORKS FOR SOME PEOPLE I DONT THINK IT WORKS FOR ME IM GONNA TRY SLIM FAST AS THERES JUST NO RESULTS FOR ME FROM THIS I KEEP LOOSING AND THEN GAINING AND ITS DOING MY HEAD IN NOW
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Are you eating up those exercise calories (see my blog link below)
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    If you only eat 1200 calories a day and have a pretty active lifestyle, you might want to try and eat some of your exercise calories back. I've seen a lot of friends on here break their plateau that way. It also depends on how long you've experienced this. If it's only been a few weeks, you might want to give it a few more just to make sure.
  • MissRomeo84
    MissRomeo84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i am having the same problem, I am looking to change up my exercise regime, because i become disheartened after a while and go missing...I don't put on weight normally because I think i dance all the booze and food off or by running after my daughters, any tips I will try too
  • Beatrix0810
    Options

For the most part, yes. The other day I had like a 700 calorie deficit, but it's impossible to eat an additional 700 calories sometimes. I'm just not that hungry and the thought of eating when I'm not hungry makes me kinda sick.

:-/
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think it might be down to WHAT you are eating rather than the number of calories. Try only eating clean foods, cut out all processed foods and all white carbs. If you still have trouble losing cut down total carbs.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

For the most part, yes. The other day I had like a 700 calorie deficit, but it's impossible to eat an additional 700 calories sometimes. I'm just not that hungry and the thought of eating when I'm not hungry makes me kinda sick.

totally understand. some days, i'm just not that hungry, and i'll have a huge deficet.

but like the others said, change your work out routine, and change what you eat. your body can easily get used to a routine, and even eating the same things over and over can acclimate your body to a routine.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Yep, I was there too - try a bag of nuts, even a small one has loads of calories for not much bulk. Do try, too long in starvation mode is not only counterproductive, it can do you serious harm
  • jjtier
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat so if you are replacing fat with muscle you may be healthier and somewhat smaller but still weigh more. You might also try eating more calories like 1500+ so that your body doesn't go into starvation/preserve fat mode. (given your active lifestyle
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Get up an additional 30 minutes early every day.

Spend that time running.

Don't change anything else.

Enjoy the weight loss.

Doing what you are doing will only take you to a certain point, after that you have to break the plateau, this is a tried and true fact of fitness.

Another option is to greatly increase the intensity of your workouts. Check out rolling in the magic 50, deck of cards, minute drills or other things you can find at Ross training.

Once your body adapts to a specific load level and routine, progress STOPS. This is a 100% known fact of fitness and was actually covered in hour one back when I became a personal trainer.
  • seadeer
    Options
    I have the same thing going on - I want to lose only about 5 pounds, I run 4 miles three times a week, running up some hills, and so far I have only seen fluctuations on the scales but no tangible weight loss (I've been seriously at it for about 1 month). I decided that I'm not going to worry about it and see what happens, let's say, in 4 months. It's better to lose weight slowly anyway, then the body will adjust to a new weight level. Right now, the body is doing its finest to stay at whatever equilibrium it has reached. I guess, it's like with any physical process, it will take a disproportional amount of energy to get something to budge. On the upside, exercise helps me feel wonderful, and the calorie log has actually already improved my daily calorie consumption.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

The eat more calorie dense foods to max out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat so if you are replacing fat with muscle you may be healthier and somewhat smaller but still weigh more. You might also try eating more calories like 1500+ so that your body doesn't go into starvation/preserve fat mode. (given your active lifestyle
    You don't gain muscle on calorie deficit. And unless she's strength training, gaining muscle isn't likely.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
  • Beatrix0810
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses. You've all made some very good points. I'm going to put your advice to work and will share an update soon! I feel better knowing others are going through the same thing, so thanks for sharing your stories :-)

B
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Check out www.fat2fitradio.com

They have great advice on how to break weight plateaus. Some if it is counter-intuitive to lots of standard weight loss advice, but it works, and makes sense ultimately nutritionally.
  • bowserette
    bowserette Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One more thing you might try is increasing your daily calories by 100-200. I've found that I actually lose more when I'm eating 1400 calories a day than when I'm eating 1200. It's hard to make a calculator that is accurate for everyone, so don't be afraid to try out different numbers!
  • smspears
    Options
    I have hit a plateau as well. For the past three weeks I have not gained nor lost. Of course I am happy I am maintaining, but I am doing everything I can to continue to lose. I added 2 days of intense zumba to my 3 day running schedule to increase my exercise but still no results. I'm still counting my calories each and every day. I have tried to switch to a lot more high protein items and adding in a lot of green veggies. We'll see, I'm going to try and maybe up my calories by 200 and see if it might make a difference! Glad I'm not the only one doing all this work and not getting results!