Pregnant with #2

Options
I am almost 7 weeks pregnant with my second child, and I have a long way to go. I gained almost 70 pounds with my first daughter and I am determined to not have that happen with this pregnancy. My normal weight is usually 135-140, but I would like to be in the 125-130 range after this baby is born. i am trying to figure out the best way to set up my goals on here so that I can give myself a realistic shot at reaching my goal. I have been working out pretty consistently and I do not want to lose weight while I am pregnant, I just want to end up lighter than I am starting. Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions/help???

Replies

• abitzan
    abitzan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. i am pregnant with my first and have put on about 10 lbs in my first 12 weeks. I am trying my best to stick to the calorie tracker but do fail. I have finally started to feel well enough to make it through a workour but I am still tired. I would love some guidence on this. I am currently 184 and i do not want to see that 200lb mark.
  • BlessedHeart
    BlessedHeart Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Consult your OB/GYN. Congrats!!!!!! :smile:
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, but personally I think you should eat healthy and exercise safely during the pregnancy, and worry about getting to your lower weight goals after your baby is born. Congratulations, by the way, on your pregnancy! :heart:
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'd speak to your Dr about calories and diet plans.,I know you dont need extra calories till your 2 nd and 3 rd trimesters
  • campino
    Options
    Keep up the good work ladies! As long as your doctor okays for you to exercise during your pregnancies then Im sure you will do just fine :) remember that little baby in your tummy needs those nutrients so just make sure to speak with your doctor and congrats to you and your family!
  • Feyore
    Feyore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I went through my second pregnancy, I signed up for water aerobics. I was able to continue working out all the way until delivery date - I kept my joints moving and comfortable without the stress of the impact and weight on my joints- I gained about 10 pounds less than the first time and the baby was actually a pound heavier.
  • aimeesnow
    Options
    I have a hard time sticking to the calorie tracker too, mostly because I am really hungry almost all the time and don't always take the time to input what I am eating. I have been eating pretty healthy so far (I broke down and had fast food one time), and I stick to fruits and veggies for the most part. I feel like I am already gaining a lot of weight though, and I am just terrified of gaining as much weight as I did with my first baby. I do expect to gain weight while pregnant, but working off 70 pounds is no fun, and I would rather not do that again if I don't have to. I have been forcing myself to workout or at least walk so that I get in the habit of exercising with this pregnancy, something I also did not do with the first.
  • aimeesnow
    Options
    Water aerobics sound awesome!! I will have to look into those. Thanks :wink:
  • ttballard
    ttballard Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is a subject near and dear to me, lol...I have 7 children, and have learned a lot about nutrition and fitness in the last 10 years. With my first child I gained over 60 pounds...I was so big it was hard to move. I gained less with most every pregnancy, but have spent years losing the weight I gained with my first, in between pregnancies. At my heaviest no pregnant weight (right after #1) I was 213 pounds. Today I am 135, and still 10 pounds away from goal weight. Slowly but surely!
    My advice is to set a goal and break it down to weeks. You can't take back what you have already put on, but you can slow it down from here on out. Remember that you only need 300 calories extra a day...that is 1/2 of a PB sandwich. Not much extra, when you think about it. Stay active, it will help you feel so much better. Drink a ton of water...in excess of 100 oz, it will help keep the swelling down.
    I didn't exercise or watch what I ate with my first 2, and I swelled so badly that I couldn't put my shoes on. Once I started exercising and drinking lots of water, I didn't swell any longer. Sometimes at the end of the day, but I was able to wear my rings all the way until the end.
    So my goals are always: No weight gain in the 1st trimester; it just isn't necessary. 3-4 lbs by 20 weeks, then 3/4 of a pound for the remainder of my pregnancy. 20 pounds is my goal to gain; and I know that is under the ACOG's 25-35, but it is done with the blessing of my midwife. With my first son I gained 60 + pounds and he was 8.11, my next son (5th child) I gained 21 pounds and he was 8.10. I say that to illustrate that the 40 extra pounds went solely to me, not to my baby:-)
    Eat small meals, as non processed as possible, 6 times a day. Eat lots of protein, remember that sweets and snacks are ok, but in moderation...the baby doesn't need them.
    Good luck!
  • aimeesnow
    Options
    Wow, that is a lot of information!! Congrats on your weight loss, you are very inspiring. If you can be a hot mama after 7 kids, then there is no reason why I can't do it, too. Great advice. :flowerforyou: