ways to add more fiber

uchaniece
uchaniece Posts: 18
i take the capsules and benefiber powder and from yogurt and frozen dinners i get the fiber. any other suggestions. avocado has like 14g but it makes me sick.

Replies

• Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    those "vitatop" muffin tops in the freezer section have a lot of fiber, for 100 calories. I get the deep chocolate flavor, and it has 9 grams of fiber.
  • sherrykygar
    sherrykygar Posts: 4 Member
    A high fiber cereal with skim or lowfat milk, and there are some that taste good too!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    I sprinkle flax seed on my cereal/oatmeal in the morning. You can add it anything really.
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Thomas's English Muffin makes a multi-grain lite muffin w/ 1/3 daily fiber w/ 100 calories. Add a fried egg white & you've got a great 117 calorie breakfast or snack.
    Sometimes if I'm under my calories for the day I will split a Tbsp of peanut butter on each half for a total of 190 calories.
  • those "vitatop" muffin tops in the freezer section have a lot of fiber, for 100 calories. I get the deep chocolate flavor, and it has 9 grams of fiber.

thats sounds good, thanks
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Flax meal is a great way to get fiber, as well as Omega-3s. You can sprinkle it on or in anything. My mom eats it in her yogurt every morning. I added it to the low carb "breading" I used on chicken last night for dinner.

ETA: Look for whole wheat wraps and tortillas, too. Mission brand low carb whole wheat tortillas and Flat Out flatbread both have 8 grams of fiber and both are under 100 calories.
  • I sprinkle flax seed on my cereal/oatmeal in the morning. You can add it anything really.

does it have a taste? and thanks
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    I sprinkle flax seed on my cereal/oatmeal in the morning. You can add it anything really.

does it have a taste? and thanks

I don't think it does. I have never noticed anything different when I add it to my foods.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    I love Skinny Cow low fat ice cream bars, they have 3 grams of fiber! Probably not the best way to get fiber, but for a 100 calorie dessert it probably is the tastiest. :)
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    You may be getting more than you think... I have noticed that most of the fruits and veggies on here have no fibre data entered. I just corrected two entries and immediately added 9g of fibre to my day.
  • you may want to supplement your yogurt with a piece of fruit (apples and berries are good) and the frozen meals with veggies (baby carrots are easy) or a piece of whole grain bread.
  • acireme
    acireme Posts: 10 Member
    Beans, whole grains (like quinoa, oatmeal), any veggies especially leafy greens (lettuces/choys/broccoli), many fruits (apples/bananas) some people mentioned flax seed, chia seeds (salba). I definitely notice the taste of flax seeds in things like oatmeal. I grind them myself and add them 1 TBSP at a time to my smoothies and don't taste them there. If you don't like the taste and you want to add seeds to foods, may I suggest the chia seeds? They have a very bland taste, like nothing. I personally try to stay away from the powders, pills, and processed foods and eating this way, I'm always over my fibre intake. :) Good luck!
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    I also use flax seed, it doesn't really have a taste. If you do try it, make sure you grind it a little, leaving it whole won't really do anything for you except maybe irritate your stomach, you'll just pass it whole.
  • thanks everyone for u input :wink:
  • AngieJoy81
    AngieJoy81 Posts: 99 Member
    Fiber One cereal (the original) is a great way to add 14g of fiber! It's only 60cal for half a cup. If you think it tasted too much like cardboard, try sprinkling it on yorgurt.
  • Sugar-free, fiber enriched strawberry preserves by Polaner. The serving size is 1 tbsp, which has 10 calories and 3 grams of fiber. Nothing can really beat that, in my opinion.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    I don't take any suppliments and I am over on my fiber all the time. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit, including a lot of apples and broccoli. And all my grains are whole, like whole wheat bread and brown rice. I also make sure my morning cereal has a lot of fiber. If I ever add fiber specific items like Fiber One bars or Vitatops, then I am way over.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Beans! I add a half cup of kidney or garbanzo beans to my salad when I'm at work and I can fulfill around 10-12 g altogether. Shredded carrots are another good addition. I also echo the english muffins - I like Orowheat Healtfull english muffins for 140 calories, 7 grams of fiber and 7 of protein.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    My past two evening snacks have been 1/2 C Fiber One, 1 C unsweetened Almond milk and 1 sweet n low. There's 14g in the cereal, a nice chocolate taste with the milk and the sweetener tops it off!
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    fiber one brownies..hehe....also, black beans and kidney beans....black beans are great on salads and recipes to add more fiber...any type of bean will work
This discussion has been closed.