First time starting in the gym. Some guidance please !

Options
Hello,

I am starting the gym tomorrow, and I need some guidance. I have lost 18lbs by myself by doing Zumba, but I am heading to the gym to tone up and also lose another 10-14lbs. I know I may not lose that as muscle weighs more than fat. How do I start off ? Do I do 20 or 40 minutes cardio, and then vice versa for weights ? I will admit, I am very naive with the whole gym thing.

I look forward to hearing how other people work out at the gym.

Abby x

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I like to do a 5-10 minute cardio warm-up (usually jogging on the treadmill), then I do a circuit of weights, hitting all the major muscle groups, with little to no rest between stations. Then I'll do about 10 minutes of cardio intervals (usually on the upright bike), a minute or 2 to cool down, and stretches. For now I only do this twice a week, since I'm just getting back into it.

I do cardio-only workouts 3x a week.
  • jp09m
    jp09m Posts: 89
    Options
    hey i just read this while i was in class, i dont have time to reply with help but i will send u a message later with a work out plan. im a former wrestler and all of our work outs are for fat burning and lean mass gains. i have also trained many of my friends for fun.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far.

Well ease into the gym and don't jump into the deep end. Best is to do cardio afterwards so you'll be fresh for the weight lifting which take a lot of energy and focus.

Weight lifting is fairly simple, start of with the simple big 5 compound exercise and once you progress and feel ready you can start adding accessory exercises.

Compound Exercises
    - Squats
    - Deadlifts
    - Military Press
    - Bench Press
    - Bent Over Row (Rather not have you do power cleans and kill yourself in the process)

Please take it slow and start off with a weight that will allow you to focus on your form, you can check videos on youtube for proper form. Back always straight and lookup...as in always lookup so to keep your spine straight and to keep a disc from slipping which is a serious injury. Once you feel you have made progress and comfortable you can start to add more weight.

I don't want to overcomplicate things so will stay to the basics. Should you need more advice or assistance, simply pop me a message.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    what 'gym' is it? there should be someone to help you out- a personal trainer or something, to show you how to work the machines & everything. Most have some type of program - they'll set you up with a basic routine
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If this is your first time in a gym I would invest in a personal training session..they can not only go over your goals but also get you familiar with equipment, form, and eating. Just a thought. Usually you can get them to throw in one or two free sessions when you join.
  • abbyy182
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I am not sure on half of those exercises so I will YouTube them and find out, or I shall ask a Personal Trainer at the gym. Judging by the profile pictures, I shall be toned greatly ! :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i like to do a bit of dynamic stretching like jumping jacks and windmills first, then about 20 minutes of cardio to get the blood flowing, and then i would hit the weight machines at first. i switched to free weights, but after a while. machines are pretty good to help you with balance and form. at first i would focus on a specific area, like upper body, core, legs. for instance back and triceps, chest and biceps, legs and abs.

the gym should have a few ppl there to help you out with how to use the machine properly. maybe even splurge and get a few sessions with a trainer. as a new memeber, maybe they'll give you a discount.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Three days a week I do a 5 minute warmup on either the rowing machine or the elliptical with arms so all my muscles get loose. Then I do 30-35 minutes of strength. I alternate between an upper body set and a lower body set and don't rest between movements other than changing the weight and position. Some days I use the machines (we have Cybex and Free Motion at our gym and at most gyms they will have folks who help you find your set up on the machines), some days I use free weights and do a lot of the exercises PBJunkie mentioned. One day a week I will do a tabata type workout that uses my body as the resistance (burpee, squats, lunges, pushups, mountain climbers, and so on and so on). I finish up with 5-10 minutes of ab work and stretching then head to a 45 minute spin class. Definitely do the weights before the cardio though! (although somedays, I have nothing left in the legs for the spin class!)
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss so far.

Well ease into the gym and don't jump into the deep end. Best is to do cardio afterwards so you'll be fresh for the weight lifting which take a lot of energy and focus.

Weight lifting is fairly simple, start of with the simple big 5 compound exercise and once you progress and feel ready you can start adding accessory exercises.

Compound Exercises
    - Squats
    - Deadlifts
    - Military Press
    - Bench Press
    - Bent Over Row (Rather not have you do power cleans and kill yourself in the process)

Please take it slow and start off with a weight that will allow you to focus on your form, you can check videos on youtube for proper form. Back always straight and lookup...as in always lookup so to keep your spine straight and to keep a disc from slipping which is a serious injury. Once you feel you have made progress and comfortable you can start to add more weight.

I don't want to overcomplicate things so will stay to the basics. Should you need more advice or assistance, simply pop me a message.

This man knows of what he speaks.

I am dead lifting over 400 pounds, squatting over 370, and benching over 250, so that is a combined total of over 1000 pounds on 3 lifts. Something most people will never do in their entire life. I started lifting 2 years ago, at 39. This has been my basic program and strategy in the gym. This program, with simple steady progression by adding small amounts of weight as you are able to manage it in good form, will work forever. Literally.

A good solid, basic full body program has far more merit then all those machines and such and will get you far more "toned" then machines of any kind, including cardio machines. The absolutely most shapely (toned as women like to call it) women in ANY gym are doing real squats and lifts, with real weights, not machines

On a program like this, men get muscular, woman get hotter. For a woman to get bulky doing this work, she has to basically devote her life to it. Something you are not likely to do. Women do not get huge muscles unless they eat and train to massive amounts.

Also, you cannot do 40 minutes of hard cardio then do big full body lifts in good form. You are to tired. Warm up, lift heavy, then cardio.

Everything quoted above is bible, it is basic, it is pretty much universal advice from anyone with ANY weight lifting success.
  • abbyy182
    Options
    I definitely cannot devote my life to it, I have a family to take care of, but you have been very helpful and put things into perspective for me. I shall ask a PT tomorrow for some guidance before I do anything on my own.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    I definitely cannot devote my life to it, I have a family to take care of, but you have been very helpful and put things into perspective for me. I shall ask a PT tomorrow for some guidance before I do anything on my own.

I would say to save your money and just get your form checked doing this basic program. I find most PT's put people on very complex programs as that builds dependance on the PT. At the gym where I was a PT, we were instructed to use their complex programs whenever possible.
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    Can you please send that plan to me too. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much
    Sam
  • EliRob
    EliRob Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great question! Fantastic responses!
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I go to LA Fitness and they have excellent classes. I do 2-3 days of cardio-kickbox and 1-2 days of bodyworks(strength training) plus abs per week. Some days I just swim or do treadmill/elliptical. G'luck!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Brilliant advice. I will have to try this later when I'm not so complete embarrassed with how unfit and fat I am.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    lol
    you wont gain muscle to offset any poundage loss as fat. this is a big myth.

just casually lifting weights wont make you gain muscle...i've been lifting for over a year now, and i've been struggling to put on muscle..and i eat at a 2000 calories a day diet.