Motivation is not my strong suit right now

Options
what is going to change my ways to make me want to exercise again? I struggle with it and don't do anything but normal chores? HELP PLEASE

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have a rebounder (mini trampoline) that has totally reshaped my lower body, burns lots of calories and is FUN. You can do a mindless jog while watching TV, move or dance as your fitness level allows, or try any number of rebounder workouts on YouTube. Simply doing a fitness bounce (feet don't leave the canvas) or a light jog will garner results over time.

When I first started exercising on the rebounder, I wore a U.S. size 24 and it was all I could do to lightly jog in place for five minutes at a slow to moderate rate. Now, at U.S. size 10-12, I manage a fast paced workout for 30 minutes most every day - and it's still fun!

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/nasa-the-trampoline-and-you/

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Can you get someone to join you? (If you would like company). I don’t do much more than chores, either. But my husband walks the dog with me which makes it seem like less of a chore itself.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    How about not treating it like something that requires motivation, but more like something that needs to be done (like chores, or brushing your teeth)?
    If you do something often enough, it will become a habit and then you won't need (as much) motivation to do it.

Perhaps make a schedule for your exercise? And if you don't feel like exercising when you should, tell yourself to do at least 10 minutes. Often, once you get going, you'll just continue for a longer session anyway.

It also helps to choose a type of exercise you like or at the very least don't dislike.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    You dont have to exercise to lose weight. If thats all you want to do, is lose weight... that happens in the kitchen.

that said, health and fitness, happens with exercise. Find something you enjoy doing, or at least don't hate. it doesn't have to be for an hour at a time. As Lietchi said, just commit to 10 minutes. You may find yourself doing a bit longer, just because you're already in motion (Newton's Law of Motion, you know). Take a walk. If you are a member of a Y, and they have a pool, try some of their water classes (they are actually a lot of fun and quite easy for beginners). Even just turn the music way up while you do chores and have a dance party while you do them. you may look silly but... who's going to see you? there are millions of youtube workouts of every type and level. I could never get into them, really, but many LOVE them. try them out. even if you cant do the moves, just stay moving (that was what i did when i used to do zumba classes- which i LOVED)- when i started i couldnt always keep up, but i figured if i kept moving, that was good enough (and it was!) LOL. try different things. try them more than once. more than twice even.

when i first started working out, i didnt even consider it that. i just wanted to try and be a bit healthier. losing weight wasn't even my goal. I mean, i needed to, and knew i needed to, but i just wanted to try and be healthier. I started by just going on a walk 2-3 times a week. and.... it wasn't much of a walk. at almost 400 pounds i could not go very far at all. 10 minutes was about all i had in me. but i kept doing it. and it didnt take long, really, before i could go a little bit longer. and then, i started to go more often. always when it was dark, i didnt want people to SEE me - but id go after dark, or early in the morning. often, both. more days added. my neighbor was a member at planet fitness and asked me if i wanted to go with her (she only went occasionally). I said sure. So I'd go with her. i thought i was going to die on the elliptical. lasted about 7 minutes. But kept going. maybe once a week with her? not very often. kept walking. By that point had started watching what I was eating (i think). Then i wanted to go to the gym more than she did, so got my own membership. That was back in 2014. as of september 1, I have lost 192 pounds. ( for 2 years I was in maintenance, working on losing the last 40 or so now). So... all of it was a process. a long one. But I didnt give up. You dont have to work out to lose weight. As I said, that happens in the kitchen. But it does have many other benefits that your body does need. Find something you enjoy. Most Y's are affordable and have a wide variety of classes for all fitness levels. Make small changes. dont try to change everything overnight. little changes can lead to giant ones, if you give it enough time.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a goal.

I am not keen on exercise, to put it mildly, but since 2008 I have done an hour of something six days a week.

Now I know all the good long healthy life etc etc stuff, but I find that is thinking too far into the future,and a little ephemeral, so I give myself short term goals, generally a year.

Most of my goals are to do with doing exciting things in exotic places- horse riding, swimming/snorkeling, rock climbing, mountaineering, etc.

I also have more down to earth goals that have more to do with home and family and good old walking and strength training make sure I can be fully engaged.

This past year has been tough for a number of reasons on top of COVID so my hour has been cut into segments. I have a walk 15-30 min most days and I have a whole selection of YouTube 10min routines that I will either string together or do independently throughout the day.

I have nothing exotic planned but what I am doing is a place holder for when I am back travelling the world.

Goals don’t have to be as far flung as mine, I’m just at last getting to do what I’ve worked my whole life to do and want to enjoy it to the nth degree.

Find your goal, start small and build up.

Cheers, h.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I've downloaded a load of really funny comedy podcasts which I listen to while walking. I get so engrossed in what I'm listening to that I don't even notice how long I've been walking for. Been doing this for 3 weeks now and it's becoming a habit, I don't feel right if I haven't been for a walk and will only allow myself to listen to an episode if I'm out walking. It's become my treat.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    what is going to change my ways to make me want to exercise again? I struggle with it and don't do anything but normal chores? HELP PLEASE

I don't know, a heart attack?

I don't wish a major health scare on you but what are you expecting? Do you want R. Lee Ermey's ghost to manifest in your house and scream obscenities at you until you get on your treadmill? Do you want someone to call you every day and say "go to the gym!"? I hope you're ready to pay for a service like that, if there is such a one.

No, motivation is not going to get you very far. What you need is discipline. You're a grown-up, no one else can MAKE you do anything you don't want to do but you. Change happens at the intersection of "don't WANNA" and "did it anyway." Get out there and do it anyway, whatever "it" is for you. "It" might be just walking - that's perfectly valid, walking is great exercise. Anything you can do to make your walk more pleasant is also perfectly valid, be it podcasts/audiobooks or going to a pretty/interesting place to do it.

You don't specify if your goal is weight loss, callsitlikeiseeit covered that pretty well if it is. But regular exercise is important for maintaining overall health, and cardiovascular health in particular. The American Heart Association recommends about 20 minutes of moderate cardio per day for adults; that's a brisk walk, maybe a jog for the fitter among us.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    This may not apply, but sometimes when there are chores to be done, time and effort spent exercising can feel frivolous. My father would have been likely to say, 'If want exercise, go till the garden."

Making exercise a priority doesn't always come easily and motivation is a moving target. What motivates you now might not be what motivates you six months from now. As Goal06082021 points out, the doing part is all that really matters.

My early motivation was all about not dying. I started exercising regularly because I was obese, easily ran out of breath, was pre-diabetic and nudged the high side of the acceptable blood pressure range. What finally tipped the scale for me was knowing that I mightn't survive Covid. More than a year on, my BP is 100/60 and I can briskly jog whilst carrying on a normal conversation. These days my motivations include a wee bit more vanity.

Only you know what will click for you. In the meantime while you puzzle it out, maybe start some sort of non-chore related movement for a mere 7 minutes for the next week. I say 7 minutes because that's about the length of two pop songs and how I started to form the exercise habit. Once you can manage 7, maybe add another song and do 10... 12... 15...

And as callsitlikeiseeit says, weight loss mostly happens in the kitchen, not the gym. Sometimes it's all too easy to think, 'Oh, I've eaten too much today, so what's the point of exercising?' Remember there's ALWAYS a point to exercising... so just do it.

Aw crap, I think I've just talked myself into a run.

< reaches for trainers >
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Well find exercise you enjoy. Roller skating, swimming, kayaking and walking can all be exercise or ways to have a lot of fun. Personally I really crave enjoyable fitness. When it comes to losing fat though my diet is more important. I will never outrun my fork but I'm surprisingly fit under my chub.