How has this journey made you a better version of yourself? 🌟

SuperMotivated56
SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
edited September 2021 in Success Stories
In addition to celebrating our weight loss, health successes and NSVs, I find it encouraging to celebrate personal successes, in terms of what you have noticed about yourself during this journey – perhaps improvements in character that came about quite unintentionally. Some may be deep and require some introspection, while others may be quite humorous.
I know that I have become a much more patient person.

My somewhat humorous one is that I am now one of the most unlazy people that you could know, in terms of never having to be asked twice to do any chores where I can incorporate walking and reach my personal step count goal – no trouble to take the rubbish out, no matter how many times a day, don’t mention packing away the washing – I’ll do everyone’s in the house, sometimes an item at a time, and the list goes on. 😊

What are your character improvements?

Replies

• WailingDusk
    WailingDusk Posts: 58 Member
    It's a double-edged sword. While I'm more confident, get looks and hit on when I didn't before, it's made me hyperaware of everything, to the point of body dysmorphia. I'll see where I am after I lose the rest of the weight, or if that gets worse.
  • SuperMotivated56
    Thank you all for your posts - so inspirational!
    I love the improved mood - I can relate, I think that I'm also generally more pleasant to be around. Empathy too - for sure, I have a greater compassion for others in general.
    &
    - glad that it's not just me who gets a kick out of chores :smiley:
    - so pleased for your improved confidence - I hear what you're saying about your hyper-awareness and am optimistic that your insights and self-awareness will stand you in good stead to manage this - all power to you as you continue with this journey.
  • SuperMotivated56
    I'd be grateful for any technical assistance in more adequately responding to posts...
  • SuperMotivated56
    I'd be grateful for any technical assistance in more adequately responding to posts...

Technical assistance? I think probably the most useful thing is the "quote" link, as you used before. The main thing is, you want to put your response after the end tag that looks like [ / quote ].

Thank you Sand_Tiger for your technical assistance - I'll see how I go.
  • SuperMotivated56
    I

A thought i had about the original topic. Thinking about it, the weight loss itself has improved me because being less tired and feeling better about myself has made me generally happier and healthier. The other improvements only came about because of the long process of figuring out how to lose weight, and keep it off, and not backslide. I've done a lot of work on the root causes of my eating problems, worked out various strategies to overcome that, and along the way learned a lot.

This is one of the reasons why slow weight loss is good, and it's actually a great thing that there's no "magic pill," because by going through this process you gain the skills to stay healthy after the diet is over.

Very thought-provoking - thanks Sand_Tiger - I agree, that although the journey is certainly a test of patience, these skills gained wouldn't have come about if the process was a quick-fix. I hear you too about being a generally happier person!
  • SuperMotivated56
    Thank you for this inspirational post.....I am more aware of what I will eat when eating out and sometimes find if there is nothing on the menu that is healthy for me, better not to go with friends.......some people do not understand the importance of not eating the junk or fattening foods, which many festivals and places have especially in the Summer.....Glad I am having a BETTER MINDSET....lately. hoping I keep it up....I just need to do it and not tell those around me that really do not understand if they are not doing MFP or another program.....thanks for sharing and listening to me too......

Great about your better mindset, Eileen! It really takes a lot of courage and self-determination when others don't understand as you've said.
  • SuperMotivated56
    The more that I think about this, the more character improvements I become aware of - I hope that you do too!

I have become a more tolerant and kinder person - I became kinder to myself and knowing how much better this makes me feel has helped me to practice greater tolerance and kindness to others too.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    I'm not afraid of.... anything, anymore.

It's weird, because I would have laughed if you said I would gain confidence through weightloss, because my confidence issues weren't about how I looked.

Turns out deciding to prioritize myself and seeing tangible results of that left me feeling pretty danged good about ME.

Nothing scares me, nothing intimidates me, and I'm pretty sure I can do just about anything.

Wow... I absolutely, unequivocally, and wholeheartedly agree with this. Honestly, I woke up months ago thinking "I'm not afraid." I have never looked back... I never intend to look back!!😊
  • JustRamona
    JustRamona Posts: 399 Member
    I look forward to a walk or bike ride and get disappointed if something comes up and I can't make my planned work out. And I also tend to put the folded clothes away one item at a time instead of loading the laundry basket full and carrying all at one time.

Relatable: I get annoyed with the weather and I can't ride my bike! I never thought that version of me existed!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!