Frozen strawberries - recipe ideas please

Options
gentlygently
gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
The supermarket delivered frozen strawberries in error a while back - any recipe suggestions?

(I’m secretly hoping for a good frozen strawberry and Greek yoghurt ‘instant icecream’ recipe! But all ideas are very welcome.)

Thank you!

Replies

• NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I blend frozen fruit with kefir, macadamia nut milk, protein powder and/or collagen, chai seeds, sweetener as needed, and guar gum (thickener) to make my own version of frozen yogurt packed with protein, fiber, and probiotics. You could substitute yogurt for the kefir.

I don’t have specific measurements because I just toss it all in and use the macadamia nut milk to thin it out if it starts getting too thick in the blender.

To give you an idea though — Last night, I used
    4.5 oz of blackberry
    240 ml of kefir
    About 120 ml of macadamia nut milk
    Scoop of protein powder
    Scoop of collagen
    Pinch of guar gum
    A little monk fruit sweetener
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Have you got a dehydrator?
    Slice in halves or quarters. Dry them. Then nibble as snacks.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Panna cotta with a strawberry coulis for me please.
    :p
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    English summer pudding. Skip the cream and have some yoghurt.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/summerpudding_90295
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The supermarket delivered frozen strawberries in error a while back - any recipe suggestions?

(I’m secretly hoping for a good frozen strawberry and Greek yoghurt ‘instant icecream’ recipe! But all ideas are very welcome.)

Thank you!

I usually use frozen berries to make 'freezer jam' (dump bag out into bowl, nuke 6ish minutes-stir-repeat, mash/slice (I haphazardly,quickly run a sharp knife through the pile a bunch of times and go at it a bit with a potato masher), add mix of pectin and/or jello and sucralose, stir-stir-stir, scoop into mason jars, and throw in fridge. I typically throw it into greek yogurt.

(Normal jam/preserves have a massively ginormous amount of added sugar making it ~50 cal/spoonful... Cutting the sugar amount and/or replacing with sucralose cuts that way, way, way down, allowing one to use a much larger amount of jam without adding massive calories)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ... (and while Smuckers makes a splenda-sweetened jam, it is absolutely disgusting....going the non-sugar-route while maintaining shelf-stability was apparently not conducive to taste).
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Great - thank you all!

What great ideas.

So far the freezer jam tempts me most. I’ve never made freezer jam and as a jam maker it would be fun to have a go at that. Mmm - maybe I’ll need to buy some more frozen strawberries to try the other suggestions!